All reviews historic hotel western style hotel meiji restoration coffee break old section frank lloyd wright steeped in history old days distant mountains huge picture windows up to date an interesting place service was impeccable travel agent curry wonderful hotel comfortable rooms
Selected filters
Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

We stayed here three nights and loved it. It is right next door to the Shinkyo Bridge and a short walking distance from the Toshogu shrine and national park. Tobu Nikko station and JR Nikko station are approx a 20 min walk away , perhaps 1/2 hr with luggage. However, if you have lots of bags, it would be better to take a taxi ( not expensive) as the hotel is situated on top of a long, steep driveway. Leaving the hotel driveway, if you turn right, you’ll be walking towards the two stations and along the main shopping and restaurants strip. While there are many day trippers walking along this road during the day, it is almost totally deserted from around 6pm. Hardly anything opens after this time, not even eateries so you may need to get your food during the day or eat at the hotel. The western food at the hotel restaurant is expensive and not impressive, but pleasantly edible. If you turn left when you leave the hotel driveway. You’ll be walking past shinkyo Bridge and then slightly uphill on a road parallel to the Daiyagawa River. All the temples and shrines are to your right or you might like to sip coffee in one of the few coffee shops along this road. I like the one attached to the Kanaya Hotel museum with pastries from the hotel bakery. There are many walks in the area but the terrain here is hilly and we had chosen not to venture too far away.

We were allocated a spacious room full of old world charms in the old section. Other reviewers have complained about rusty heaters and worn furnishings but I think they add to the character. Our room had two huge picture windows- one looking out onto trees and the other onto the Daiyagawa River and the road next to it all the way to some distant mountains. From where I liked to sit in our room, I could hear the sound of the running stream below all day. The setting was simply divine.

There was no lift in the old section ( I think it has better views) but the staff hauled our bags three floors up for us. My only negative experience at this hotel was that I suffered from a constant runny nose due to the chemical air freshener they seemed to have overused everywhere.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2019 via mobile

Food options are limited. Prices in restaurant are exorbitant for mediocre food and drink. Few people eating in restaurant. Stuck in annex room while historical not up to date. Rusted things in view.
Good location.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2019

First the good: Historic hotel, albeit a bit creepy (feeling its a bit haunted). Fully staffed front desk. No kidding, one time I walked into the lobby there were at least seven staff to welcome people into the hotel. Now the not so good. Screw up with a booking company on a breakfast that was to be included with the rate. Not really the hotel's fault, but really to make it an issue at check in....they actually called the booking company while I was waiting with my written confirmation that breakfast was included. Then the booking company wanted me to put in my PIN number. Sorry, wasn't worth the trouble. Location of the hotel is pretty good, but good luck finding a place to eat at night...so you are probably going to eat at the hotel, which we didn't as we prefer neighborhood restaurants. And the first morning shuttle to the train station? 9:30 a.m. Really? 9:30 a.m.???? No public bath, which really seems to be a standard offering elsewhere. Bathroom amenities were rather cheap foil packets. So all in all its an interesting place to stay, but just odd policies and a cheaper approach to hospitality. And yeah it just seemed a bit creepy at night...but it might just be me.

Room tip: There appears to be another building off to the side that seems newer.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2019

This is a classic and the large public areas reflect its grandeur from 1893, being Japan’s oldest resort hotel. The rooms have been updated and its care for guests, cuisine is superb. Our room #18 in the old section was spacious with bedroom and living room arrangement and larger bathroom. The location sets you right away at the start of thé two key paths for exploring the temples. The best steak house in Nikko is 50m away.
Sunshine means into the breakfast area for a great start to the day.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2019 via mobile

I’m one of those people who love old hotels with creaky floorboards and corridors that you get lost in. This hotel has a long history and has entertained many notables.
The day we arrived it was snowing! What a welcome!
I was in a single room with a stunning view of high snow covered peaks and a rushing river below us. The room was cosy and had all I could ask for.
It is surrounded by a beautiful old Japanese style garden which was so pretty covered in snow.
We had a banquet style dinner. Wonderful western style food and attentive staff.
I visited the coffee shop a couple of times and enjoyed my coffee with a little Japanese garden to view through a picture window as I sipped my coffee.
I love this hotel ....heaps of character!

Trip type: Traveled with friends