All reviews historic hotel western style hotel meiji restoration coffee break old section frank lloyd wright steeped in history old days distant mountains huge picture windows up to date an interesting place service was impeccable travel agent curry wonderful hotel national park
Selected filters
Reviewed April 11, 2019 via mobile

I’m one of those people who love old hotels with creaky floorboards and corridors that you get lost in. This hotel has a long history and has entertained many notables.
The day we arrived it was snowing! What a welcome!
I was in a single room with a stunning view of high snow covered peaks and a rushing river below us. The room was cosy and had all I could ask for.
It is surrounded by a beautiful old Japanese style garden which was so pretty covered in snow.
We had a banquet style dinner. Wonderful western style food and attentive staff.
I visited the coffee shop a couple of times and enjoyed my coffee with a little Japanese garden to view through a picture window as I sipped my coffee.
I love this hotel ....heaps of character!

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank RestlessLegs45
Reviewed March 4, 2019

The Kanaya Hotel is believed to be the best hotel in Nikko. I can see why this would have been the case. However, the term 'faded glory' comes to mind when looking closely at the hotel. It is certainly in great need of a major refurbishment. The public reas are mainly OK but the rooms really need a makeover. We were in two separate rooms. The first room was in very poor condition and had no view at all. The internet was very poor as well. Luckily, when I contacted the desk, there offered to let us change rooms. We did get a much nicer room with a view. The room still needed to be refurbished. The staff were all exceptionally helpful. In the room there is a kettle with green tea supplied but no coffee. You can't get coffee without going into the restaurant. Food was very expensive for breakfast and dinner.

Room tip: Get a room with a view
Date of stay: March 2019
1  Thank 187brianm
Reviewed November 24, 2018

This hotel is one of the oldest western style classic hotels in Japan that commenced the hotel business in 1873, five years after the Meiji Restoration. I learned that the business started as Kanaya Cottage on a site closer to the shrines and temple, as a hotel solely for foreigners(the four hundred year old former samurai residence is now open to the public as the Kanaya Hotel History Museum) which expanded by the acquisition and completion of the current main hotel building in 1893.

Until the Meiji restoration, when all feudal domains were abolished, travel was very much restricted. People could not travel outside the feudal domain they lived in without permission. Rare exceptions were pilgrimage visits to Ise Jinguu Shinto Shrine called Oisemairi, where representatives of commoners would attend as a group. Although travel restrictions were lifted after the abolishment of the feudal domains, real development for travel had to wait for the development of the railways. Foreigners had to live in designated areas and travel beyond forty kilometers was forbidden without permission. This restriction remained even after the Meiji Restoration and was not lifted until the end of the 19th century. So it was a surprise for me that Kanaya Cottage for foreign travelers had opened so early. I understand from the hotel’s old mail magazine that this happened through the friendship between Zen-ichirou Kanaya, the founder of the hotel and Dr. James Hepburn, an American physician who resided in Japan from the end of the Edo period (1859) to 1892 in the Meiji era, and invented the Hepburn romanization system to transliterate Japanese into English and later founded Meiji Gakuin University. The mail magazine tells me that Zen-ichirou started Kanaya Cottage in 1873 based on Dr. Hepburn’s prediction that more and more foreigners would come to Nikko. Dr. Hepburn visited the cottage every summer with his wife and introduced Nikko to many foreigners including Isabella Bird, the British lady traveler who wrote The Unbeaten Tracks in Japan.
We stayed in the shinkan (new building) built in 1901, which I found quite acceptable. We spent a while to explore the lobby and the displays in the corridors. We enjoyed the dinner course menu and the breakfast in their antique dining room. Contrary to some reviews the staff were all professional as well as courteous.

Date of stay: November 2018
3  Thank tomizuta1953
Reviewed November 15, 2018

We stayed in the chained-hotel far from the town center and used the shuttle bus service the next morning to visit this hotel for a coffee break and minor shopping in the souvenir shop here by early Nov. This was an old and historical structure with beautiful surrounding. The ground floor lobby and the coffee shop there were also spacious and relaxing. Recommended.

Room tip: Rooms facing the garden
Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed November 11, 2018

You'll either love this property or hate it depending on your expectations. We paid 28810 yen which I felt was reasonable. It is old, shows wear & tear but we felt it added to the ambiance. It was clean, comfortable with superb service. We stayed one night in the standard twin room which is located in the annex building. The room was huge. The large window had double sliding panels that helped keep the cold out in the morning. It's a real quirky room with the steam radiators still left in place. The one in the bathroom had rust but that also suited the room because of how old this hotel is. Sure there are some inconveniences like not having a place to put all your toiletries in the bathroom but I think all of this is to preserve the room as it was when the travelers stayed in the old days. We found the large room, with the high ceiling and large sitting area to be absolutely relaxing. Would love to stay here again. Take a taxi or shuttle if you are not fit. The driveway up to this hotel is rather steep and challenging.

Date of stay: October 2018