“lovely hotel in the heart of town”
Review of Nikko Kanaya Hotel

Nikko Kanaya Hotel
Ranked #4 of 150 Hotels / Ryokan in Nikko
Indianapolis, Indiana
“lovely hotel in the heart of town”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We spent one night here, after spending a night at their sister hotel, the Chuzenji Kanaya Hotel (on the lake). This hotel was a notch down in price and ambience, but still lovely. It has the advantage of being in the heart of town, making it easier to find meal options. Although not as fancy as its sister facility, the hotel is still delightful, and the service is excellent. The meals were delicious, as was the ambience in the restaurant. The grounds are beautiful, and a path leads down to the river--actually a beautiful trout stream. We had stayed in this hotel years ago for our wedding, and this return visit--this time with the children--did not disappoint.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NanjingBob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was there during a stay in Japan and had one of the best currys in my life - BUT the sizes compared to the prices is not so funny - especially when considering that you have to queue for about 45min to get a table.

The hotel cannot be judged. The location though is great - close to the NIKKO Toshogu Shrine and the Kegan Falls, etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank McCurly
Christchurch, NZ
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Our son booked Nikko Kanaya Hotel as the place to stay for our family trip to Nikko both because we are in our 70s and required western style beds and the Hotel had historic associations - we were not disappointed in the latter. We arrived, as a family of 6 (2 grandparents - from NZ - 2 parents and 2 grandsons aged 16 and 13 ) on a damp cool day and were greeted warmly in English by the Front staff and shown up to 3 adjacent twin rooms in the old part of the Hotel. The rooms were a good size and were warm and had a good view up towards the mountains. We felt quite at home in the room as like our floors at home in Christchurch after the earthquakes, they had an interesting tilt ! When our oldest grandson walked into the Hotel Lobby he commented that it seemed just like the Canterbury Museum and my husband likened it to the Grand Hotels shown in some Agatha Christie movies of the 1930s vintage. Our son and daughter- in- law had a good deal when booking the rooms because it included complementary breakfasts for the 2 days we were there. Although the food was expensive we had our evening meal in the Dining Room the day we arrived and we all really enjoyed the food and the attentiveness of the waitresses. The boys found the Billiard table in the downstairs lounge a great attraction and the old photos, books and china all added to the ambience of the Hotel. It created just the right atmosphere for our very special family holiday to Nikko and the time we spent viewing the wonderful Togoshu Shrines and Temples.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Simarki
Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel was my first stay after a long and tiring period of travel. I was unsure what to expect as the price was relatively high compared with what I had arranged for other destinations but then I had dinner and breakfast included in my price. With my luggage, I needed to take a taxi ride up the hill from the station to the hotel and first appearances where not completely reassuring. However,after the warm greeting from staff and being shown to my delightful room, I was very happy with my choice. The hotel has many interested features and a character that is rather charming. The restaurant is very interesting with an older-style silver service type of French character with lovely food. The Japanese-style breakfast was absolutely awesome in its presentation and substance. The hotel was not particularly busy when I was there, so the staff took time to show me around and explain some of the attributes and history of the hotel. My room was very spacious, clean, comfortable and well appointed. I did though have to go down to the lounge room for wireless internet connection but that was no problem as it was another pleasant area in the hotel. I wish now that I had also had lunch there. The hotel is very convenient for walking to the Nikko temples and shrines world heritage site.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Rivor
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were footsore from seeing all the amazing sights in Nikko and were hungry for lunch. We saw a sign for local gourmet cuisine near the sacred bridge and decided to give it a try. After climbing the hill to the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised by this elegant old European style hotel. The photos from the last 150 years on the wall near the dining hall are worth the visit alone. The food was excellent, the setting formal but easy going about our casual dress. The food was great, and the lunch special a good value for a multi course meal with fresh, local ingredients. The service was impeccable - kind, friendly, attentive.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jonbsan
Bando-shi, Ibaraki, Japan
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Nikko Kanaya Hotel
                                   Mizuki Takimoto

This hotel was opened in 1834, and is located on the hills in Nikko, Tochigi prefecture. The nearest stations are Toubu Nikko and JR Nikko. This hotel is very famous as a classic one, and the Japanese Emperor stayed there. Although it was summer when I visited there, the temperature was not so high, and I felt a little cold in the morning. So I was very comfortable, and had a leisurely walk around the hotel.

This hotel has 7 types of rooms, and visitors can taste the different atmosphere even if they stay in the same type. The room I stayed in was deluxe type that is representative of Nikko Kanaya. It was great and fresh for me because I sensed that I was not in Japan but old Europe as soon as I stepped in there. Also, furniture, pictures and ceiling are Western style. Then, there are a few smaller rooms in the 7types. This type is popular among people who are traveling alone. In the main restaurant, we can eat Taisho Croquette and traditional French food of Kanaya. I ate Taisho Croquette there. It was so delicious, and the taste was not so strong. So I think it might fit the Japanese taste. Also, people can take a wedding in this hotel. That will be done solemnly at the Nikko Toushougu.

The rooms are spacious and people can indulge themselves in an exclusive sense. The main building, new buildings and annex was authorized by Modern Industry Inheritance. Not only inside the rooms, but also the corridors were decorated with the pictures, ornaments, and so on. The attitude of the staff was so great, because whenever I passed the front of them, they bowed to me, and smiled. In addition, all of them have their calling cards which had printed several views of Kanaya on the reverse. This attempt was a start to communicate with visitors, as it makes their stay more nice and unforgettable. Also, they corresponded to what I requested very smoothly. Then, the classic atmosphere in the main restaurant exaggerates the dishes. My feeling was maximum, and I had a good time with nice food.

This hotel is a classic and, it is an antique. I enjoyed my fill of history. The detailed part like a doorknob or windows were decorated closely, so I spent time feeling as if I was in medieval Europe. You might not feel these things at other hotels. Then, this hotel is surrounded by a lot of trees and nature, so you can see different appearances of Kanaya according to the season you will visit. The recommendation of the staff is autumn. If you visit in this season, you can enjoy the collaboration with Western white buildings and colored leaves. Nikko Kanaya has good rooms, services and staff. I’m sure that you can have a great time, and soak in an old Western mood, so I want you to visit there at least once.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mizuki_12
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Everything about this hotel was good but it was just too expensive for what it was. The location was excellent being right near all the shrines. The service and room was great but I have got much better value for money elsewhere in Japan. We booked only a couple nights in advance so that could be a factor in relation to the price. Would recommend searching elsewhere for a better value hotel in a similar location.

• Stayed September 2012