“Friendly people, great food”
Review of Logette Sanbois

Logette Sanbois
Ranked #124 of 149 Hotels / Ryokan in Nikko
VA
“Friendly people, great food”
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Booked my 2 night stay at Logette Sanbois through the Rakuten Travel's Web site. As a single, it was a simple and easy way to book in English. As with the other reviews, the lodging is clean and the owners friendly, helpful and can communicate in basic English. They provided me with a pick-up and drop-off ride both days. I recommend calling for a pick up ride instead of walking. The Nikko area can have quite steep inclines and the area around the Inn is no exception.

They served breakfast (8:00 AM) and dinner (7:00 PM) as part of my lodging package. Both meals were Japanese and contained local products. And I highly recommend eating at the Inn for the quality of the meals and innovative menu. I learned a few new recipes.

The Japanese family bath is a great way to relax at the end of the day. And can be reserved or is used on a first-come first served basis.

The Inn does accept credit cards, and the terms were outlined on the Rakuten Travel's Web site

• Liked — Japanese bath
  • Disliked — Small room bathroom
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank ac804

Business
  • Thai first
Denver
Reviewed May 21, 2007

I booked a modest room at Logette Sanbois for two nights through the Rakuten Travel website in May, 2007. This is a gem of a Japanese pension up on a wooded hill above Nikko (a 25 minute walk to the shrine area) that offered the most comfortable and relaxed of my four accomodations in Japan. It is in the bed and breakfast tradition, but included in the very reasonable rate is a Japanese hot bath with a large window overlooking dense forest and if you choose the option as I did, a delicious, multi-course authentic Japanese dinner prepared by Mr. Ogihara, one half of one of the nicest, most helpful husband and wife teams I've ever met. How nice were they? They were so nice that when I discovered that Visa banned the use of my credit card in Asia, the couple allowed me use of their computer to research the issue and offered to drive me into town and translate my dilemma to a bank manager, this after I had already paid them in cash.

If you're looking for a fancy hotel with all the amenities, this is not the place for you, but if you're up for an immaculate, quiet lodge run by genuine, non-overbearing people that offers you a small taste of Japanese home life and a hot bath before or after a long day of sightseeing, this is the perfect place.

• Liked — the hospitality of the owners and the food
  • Disliked — the size of the bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
7 Thank WorkForTravel
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed April 23, 2007

We stayed in several high-end ryokan and low-end minshuku during our trip to Japan but this was our favorite. It is a bit of a walk from the main sites of Nikko, but after all the crowds of Tokyo it was a welcome retreat, located on a woodsy hillside away from the street. Falling asleep to the sound of the nearby brook and the family ofuro (bath) (available any time on request) were highlights, but the charming couple running the inn and the delicious meals were the best! We spoke a little Japanese, and it was enough, although the husband spoke English quite well so I tink we would have been fine without knowing any Japanese, and both innkeepers were incredibly generous and accomodating. The tatami rooms are very very clean, the inn is very much like a cozy little home, and the very clean ofuro has a rock decor and view of the woods outside. Also, their beagle, Charlie Brown, who stays in his doghouse outside, is very sweet and apprarenly very used to visitors. I could hear his gentle baying at night, but only very lightly, and that was the only time he made a sound.

I strongly recommend getting meals with your stay, as they are wonderfully prepared kaiseki (generous tasting menu) featuring local ingredients. These unique meals can be quite expensive outside of ryokan, and the meals at Logette Sanbois were among the best we had on our trip.

We booked this ryokan through Welcome Inns (http://www.itcj.jp/), which made reservations very easy for us as non-Japanese. Like most ryokan, though, I believe this hotel only takes cash, so be prepared.

• Liked — excellent service and food, very clean and comfortable room and facilities
  • Disliked — not very close to historical sites
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple