See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 9, 2016

The buildings are run down. It is located on a forest road with an uneven set of stairs up from the road. The owners have an old dog living on the front entry deck and when we arrived the stench of urine drying on the deck was disgusting. I should have read the reviews of others before booking.

Date of stay: October 2016
2  Thank David K
Reviewed September 6, 2016 via mobile

At first when we arrived we were worry, the entrance is smelly and it's quiet lost in the middle of the forest but it ended up to be a great experience.

The host is a cute Japanese grand mother, she is so nice and speak English good enough. The traditional Japanese room has a bathroom and toilet, it's clean and charming with the sound of the river and water fall, it's so peaceful to be in the forest with the sound of the nature.

There is an onsen, that you can privatised for yourself as long as you leave your shoes outside, it means it's all yours.
The food was the best part! So delicious.

The cute Japanese lady also woke up early for us to make an early breakfast which is supposedly served at 8am but she made it at 6.30am since we had to leave really early.
The extra "whoua" service is that she drove us back to the train station with her car. She didn't let us walk back there, it was so kind of her.

We had a lovely time, it's a great Ryokan experience. Yes it could be disorienting, but if you are open enough and appreciate simple things such as a lovely woman, amazing food and the great sound of the nature, you will have a blast.

I won't forget to mention the price, compare to the others accommodation/Ryokan of Nikko, this place is good value for money.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2015 via mobile

Freezing cold (paraffin heater in room - a safe, modern one but smelly all the same). Cleanliness not a strong point - apart from the Japanese hot bath - all a bit run down really.

Taxi driver raised his eyebrows when we said where we were going.

Just not worth the money to be honest.

Date of stay: April 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ross-F-McF
Reviewed December 15, 2011

As previous reviewers have said, this hotel could do with a spring clean and some redecoration, but it was clean where it matters and the lady running it when we were there could not have been more attentive or helpful. We didn't eat there, but the visitors' book in our room was uniformly complimentary about the food. There was snow in the ground when we stayed; the corridors were a little chilly (that seems normal for Japanese style inns), but our room had been preheated and was very cosy.

Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bob C
Reviewed March 9, 2010

It's called a "pension." But that's besides the point. Cleanliness is not a strong point of this little place, and it ain't the fault of the dog. It had been, shall we politely say, quite a while since it was last cleaned, which must have been in Showa, or perhaps Taisho. Maybe Meiji.

Our room had a bathroom which was a nice shade of mildewy black. Not just the shower curtain but darned near every surface was a mottled mildew color. The room itself was not mildew-colored, but when I looked up at the ceiling lamp, wondered if there were to be an earthquake would the amount of dust on it be enough crush us to death. I guess we all have different standards of cleanliness though...

Dinner was what they called "Western Style"---meat and vegetables barbecued on a little barbecue grill (hibachi) by us. This was great fun as we already had a kerosene heater on in the unventilated, still freezing cold room (excellent way to die) which forced us to open the window to breathe. We are the rare type that requires oxygen.

After dinner my wife and I took a bath in the public bath. Fortunately for us, we were the only guests that evening. Ahh, the bath was dark and steamy and nicely lukewarm although freshly filled, and I could not help but sense a slimy feel in the tub as I slid in. I became very thankful that it was dark and steamy and that I could not observe what sorts of mold and mildew might have been in that place and what caused the slimy feel in the tub.

After the bath, I was able to turn on the small TV and after finding the unhooked antenna cable, and attaching the antenna so that we could have something to distract us from the still smoke and carbon monoxide-filled and now freezing-from-the-open-to-keep-from-dying-window.

We pulled out the futons and arranged them ourselves (darn, right there's just one difference between a ryokan and a pension) after apprehensively checking them for mold, mildew, or god knows what. Surprisingly, both turned out to be clean.

We had asked for breakfast 30 minutes earlier than scheduled the next morning and the owners were happy to oblige. We had a decent Japanese breakfast, and the Osaka-born owner and cook, after putting on the soundtrack for Beauty and the Beast, chatted us up. He seemed a pleasant enough fellow as was his wife.

We departed for the rest of our 3-day trip in the hills around Nikko. Gotta admit, in over a decade of living in Japan and traveling throughout Honshuu, this place was a unique experience. Still have yet to encounter another slimy tub or black with mildew bathroom, although I am sure they exist. Don't know whom I would recommend it to, but some folk seemed to have loved it. Some think it is a ryokan too.

My wife, who is Japanese, did not write this review because she refused to be as positive as I am about it. She claims that Charlie Brown stayed in his little house on the porch because he was too embarrassed to come out.

Date of stay: January 2010