“A lovely experience”
Review of Logette Sanbois

Logette Sanbois
Ranked #124 of 150 Hotels / Ryokan in Nikko
Reviewed April 23, 2008

We stayed midweek in February for 2 nights. It wasn't difficult to find at all, and the 15 minute walk there was no different to what we had been doing when travelling by train in the rest of Japan.

Yes, the rooms were cold given that it was winter and snowing but we found the heater in our room was fine, the futon warm and comfortable. The bath was great.

The hosts were lovely and the food was divine. The only thing we would change would be to have the Japanese breakfast both mornings and skip the Western breakfast. I suppose the food was slightly on the expensive side but it was so delicious.

We loved Nikko itself and would definately recommend staying 2 nights midweek. We went to the shrine area in the afternoon and there weren't many crowds at all, making it an enchanting experience. Find the okonomiyaki restaurant on the main street for a treat. Cheap, too.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rexgoes

Reviewed April 18, 2008

Stayed one night there recently. It was quite cold when we arrived there as it had snowed the night before. We were given a nice big room with its own shower and toliet. However, we did not use it as the ryokan has a nice hot bath. The room had a heater and we did not find the smell that bad. From the scrapbook in the room, we can tell that many from all over the world had stayed at the ryokan and had given it excellent reviews. The futon bed was also great as it kept us warm and cosy.

The couple who ran the place was friendly. However, was disappointed that they did not offer us any hot japanese tea when we arrived at the ryokan. I was feeling sick at that time (not used to the cold weather) but was told to drink from the tap. Had to buy a hot drink from the vending machine at the ryokan.

The dinner was excellent. Felt that it was a bit expensive as I was on a tight budget. However, the excellent cooking won me over and even though I was sick, I enjoyed the dinner. We also requested for breakfast which was tasty as well.

Do consider this ryokan if you plan to make a trip to Nikko.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ysouk
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Avoid Logette Sanbois! It was slightly snowing when we arrived at Logette Sanbois and it was as cold INSIDE as it was outside. We stayed in the waiting area 20 minutes (our rooms weren't ready) before asking them if they would turn on the heater because it was freezing inside! We decided to go in town to WARM up and get some lunch. When we came back to the house we noticed that only certain parts of the house were heated. I continuously had to wear my 2 light jackets under my feather down parka and a fleece hat IN THE HOUSE (and even sleeping) to stay warm. We stayed in the Japanese room with a gas heater. When you turn on the heater, it smelled horribly of GAS which made me feel sick to the stomach. I had a slight cold when I arrived at the house. My cold turned to bad to WORSE because the house was very cold and the owners did not adequately supply us with a safe heater. This place was miserable to stay in. The choice was either use the heater to keep warm (still wearing my 2 light jackets under my feather down parka and fleece hat) or get sick from the smell of GAS. I choose not to use the heater because of the smell.

The house is 20 minutes from town -- very inconvenient. Since it was snowing and very cold, we couldn't walk to town. There is nothing to do near the house. When we arrived at the house and noticed the inadequate heating arrangement, we were reminded of the 100% no money back if we canceled our reservation (according to the reservation policy). I should have just paid them and left. This was the most miserable accommodation I ever stayed in. We were the only guests staying at the house at that time, that was a tell-tale sign.

I read the reviews of the house before we made the reservations and they were very positive -- contrary to my experience. I wonder if they stayed at the house when the weather was warm and the use of the gas heater was not necessary. I was misled by the reviews and felt compelled to write one.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank critic4u
Reviewed November 11, 2007

If you go to Nikko (and you should, it's the perfect trip from Tokyo), Logette Sanbois is just the perfect place to stay.
Everything is nice and comfortable, including the japanese beds (yes, I know, crazy). The Japanese bath is great and the best way to enjoy the experience if you're a bit shy ( you have the whole bath to yourself and your roomates - no need to share with other naked guests... pfiou!). The hosts are very nice, speak a bit English, pick you up from the station, cook very nice food and teach you origami after dinner.
We stayed in luxury ryokan before, we actually prefer Logette Sanbois.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elodie C
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We loved this place. Stayed only one night and wished we had allowed more time. The food was excellent, the hosts really friendly & the location superb. We also enjoyed the after dinner origami workshop. The ryokan is a little out of the main part of Nikko (of which the main street isn't much to rave about anyway) but in a lovely spot and well worth visiting.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank Canofworms
Reviewed September 9, 2007

The owners have run this ryokan for around 11 or more years now. Each room contains a guest book going back presumably since they opened the Ryokan and all of the English entries said the same thing: Great food, kind hosts, beatiful location. Presumably the Japanese, and other language also have the s

Of our two week trip, this was our favorite location and we are likely to return on a future visit to Japan.

The Ryokan is not fancy, but it is clean and truly lovely setting. The owners will pick you up from the station. We called them from the cell phone we had rented, but you could probably get the tourist help desk at the private railway station to help you out with calling them (note: the owners speak limited English).

The meals were among the best we had on our trip and were a great value. Dinner is a multi-course menu featuring some local specialities. Breakfast is one of the best Japanese breakfasts I've ever had and good place to try the typical breakfast of grilled fish, miso soup, rice and pickled vegetables.

The only thing to watch out for are the steep and numerous steps leading from the car to the house, especially with heavy luggage.

We sent an email to the owners and booked directly through them.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank takojin
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Booked my 2 night stay at Logette Sanbois through the Rakuten Travel's Web site. As a single, it was a simple and easy way to book in English. As with the other reviews, the lodging is clean and the owners friendly, helpful and can communicate in basic English. They provided me with a pick-up and drop-off ride both days. I recommend calling for a pick up ride instead of walking. The Nikko area can have quite steep inclines and the area around the Inn is no exception.

They served breakfast (8:00 AM) and dinner (7:00 PM) as part of my lodging package. Both meals were Japanese and contained local products. And I highly recommend eating at the Inn for the quality of the meals and innovative menu. I learned a few new recipes.

The Japanese family bath is a great way to relax at the end of the day. And can be reserved or is used on a first-come first served basis.

The Inn does accept credit cards, and the terms were outlined on the Rakuten Travel's Web site

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo