“A hidden treasure. Pricey but delicious”

Steak House Mihashi
Ranked #8 of 744 Restaurants in Nikko
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Montreal, Canada
“A hidden treasure. Pricey but delicious”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I was travelling around Nikko with my mother and we wanted to find a place for dinner. It was not even 7pm and the darn town was already a ghost-town. Hardly anything (decent) was open in downtown Nikko. We veered left into the Kayana hotel along the Romantic Highway after looking giant posters with the promise of steak. We weren't disappointed.

I had the mixed grill of chicken, beef, beef pattie and shrimp. The chicken was tough but tasty. the beef was extremely well-cooked, well-seasoned without compromising the beef's natural flavour. The beef patty was also well seasoned and cooked. The shrimp was not necessary nor was it extraordinarily good. All in all, it was a good meal. My mother had the pork ribs, or should I say two dinosaur ribs of deliciousness. The pork ribs were very well-cooked and dripping with its natural fat and juices. Did I mention they were huge? We also shared the yuba salad (yuba is beancurd skin and one of Nikko's specialties), which was delicious. The salad dressing, though garlicky, was to die for.

On the downside, I didn't like the poor ventilation because almost everything was served on hotstones and the sizzling and smoke just made for a poor dining experience. The food saved the day though. It was also too pricey for my liking. But then again, I thought that everything in Nikko was over-priced as it survives on tourist dollars and I just couldn't shake off the feeling that we we were being over-charged. Nonetheless, it's a very pretty town not far from Tokyo (give or take 2h30min).

Visited June 2014
1 Thank ViandeFumee

“Wow!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I went here since it was right next to my hotel. Got the cheapest steak set. The steak was amazing, tender, delicious, and mouth-watering!

• Visited May 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Beautiful Food”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

After an early morning commute from Tokyo and exploring the shrines and temples all morning, we were eager for a hearty meal and a comfortable place to rest and reflect on the beautiful things we had seen. The restaurant is located off the main street and tourist thoroughfare and up a steep driveway which the restaurant shares with a hotel. The food was delightful, the service prompt and the meals were reasonably priced unless you order a steak option, but there are many other meal options to suit various budgets. An enjoyable dining experience, away from the hussle and bussle of tourists!

• Visited May 2014
Shoreline
“Yummy!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

For all the ideas we may have that everything the Japanese eat comes from the sea, the nation's cuisine includes some wonderful things involving beef. Unlike most American steak houses, the point here is not to eat a 30 ounce Delmonico or New York Strip. It's to have a moset amount of really good beef that has been prepared with care and attention.

Mihashi is not high-end or haute cuisine. It's really good steak in an informal environment at a fair price. Give it a try.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank hfulghum
Toronto, Canada
“Really not worth the money...”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Seriously expensive for an average steak experience...
Wanted to be blow away at these prices and didn't think my steak was anything special.
Service was sparse and curt to say the least.
Was a waste of money and would suggest you look for another steak house to go to.
Place was clean and quiet.
Convenient to the hotel but easier to walk down the hill to other places to eat.

• Visited October 2013