See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

We are coming from very long tripc from tokyo to kinugawa onsen heard that the place is beautiful.its not as beautiful that you expected...especially from this hotel..
Its an old hotel tottaly need urgent renovation...
The food look nice but not tasty at all...
Thats the picture of their onsen
And thats the breath taking view that other traveller review.
View from my kids room...the leaking dirty water from outdoor air condition.
View from my room...
The bathtub..

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank henny306
Reviewed January 7, 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights from Jan 3-5 2017 in the old wing that had a separate lounge area with a sitting area and kotatsu. The kotatsu was an instant hit with my friends and I, especially after a long walk in the cold night. The staff were real helpful to provide us with a deodorizer and air purifier when I complained about the tobacco smell in the room. They did offer to swap us to a non-smoking room but it would cost more and we'll lose the separate sitting area/kotatsu. Dinner is served in individual rooms downstairs and they can't stop feeding us! My friend still longs for the beef stew served during dinner! The public bath was really hot compared to other onsen baths I've been too. The massage chairs outside the public bath was excellent. The hotel is an easy 15 min walk from Kinugawaonsen station or you could ask the lobby staff to book you in a scheduled Dial Bus (ダイール バース) that goes in a scheduled loop to/fro the hotels and station for JPY190 per person.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank chukosan
Reviewed October 21, 2014

The hotel is not big with only one indoor and one outdoor onsen. But you can also pay for the private onsen for 50 mins. The room is clean and big with beautiful scenery of the mountain and river. Dinner and breakfast are served in a dedicated room but we are not able to sit on tatami for a long time. They also printed a English menu to explain the food. Unlike other big onsen hotels serve buffet only. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They also have massage chairs and the most important that it is FREE. I really recommend this hotel if you want to enjoy a quiet and comfortable environment. The hotel mainly serve local Japanese and we are the only foreign couples during our stay.

Room tip: All rooms are facing the river and mountain but some of them are without balcony.
Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2013

It takes me a while to look for this hotel in TripAdvisor, since most people don't use English name, their name in Japanese is "ほてる白河湯の蔵", copy it down and show them to travel agency will be easier to look for this.

Personally I love onsen, but for single person there will be some difficulty to look for a hotel as they assume people usually going with family or at least a couple, among all those within Kinugawa, there are only 3 hotels do not have extra charge for single person, and this one is the lowest price.

This hotel is a little bit far away from the Kinugawa-onsen station, it's about 15min walk, there is a paid shuttle but only within certain hours in a day.

As most of the onsen hotel in Japan, they include breakfast & dinner, and I feel the menu of this hotel is better than the one I stayed in Hakone before. They prepare a dedicated room, in traditional Japanese style for you to have meal, which is very nice if going with your partner or family.

The room is made of tatami, you'll be sleeping in the middle of room, but you don't need to worry about the setup, as their staff will come to your room to prepare this for you after dinner time, and staff will come and take it away when you are having breakfast next morning. I know not many people will feel comfortable with this old style configuration.

The onsen is divided into public and private rental, you can pay and reserve the private one for your group, no one else will be there. I didn't try this as I was going on weekdays, basically I was always the only one there :P

As this hotel is right next to the river, open window only during daytime with strong sunlight, otherwise there will be lots of bugs coming in!!

Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank EdwardWong
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Sharing with friends we had 2 large rooms and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the hotel in between countryside walks and several trips to the onsen inside the hotel. It was a relaxing stay. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Communicating in English was difficult but the staff made extra efforts to understand our needs and help us.
The rooms were clean and traditional tatami in very good condition.
Food was entirely Japanese and very good indeed. Served in a private dining room for our group, we enjoyed it very much.
We especially liked the dining room staff who made lots of effort to explain what we were eating and how to eat it!

Date of stay: April 2013