All reviews non japanese speaking authentic ryokan experience shinkyo bridge kaiseki dinner public bath short walk tofu chuzenji lake train station the main street japanese breakfast japanese style room unesco toilet sites westerners tatami
Selected filters
Reviewed June 22, 2018

Beside good service and foods, package price was a bit pricey, room size was small, no toilet inside onsen area, drinking fountain was outside male and female onsen room, can hear low vehicle sound from outside of the hotel at night.

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed June 18, 2018

We took a fast train trip from Tokyo and had an excellent night at Nikko Hoshinoyado. Walking into the lovely reception/seating area and looking out onto the manicured garden set the tone. The onsen was very nice, especially the outdoor area. I agree with other comments that the dinner was almost too beautiful to eat, a real experience. Sleeping on the futons was very comfortable - my partner saying that it was like sleeping in a giant marshmallow. The UNESCO sites were fascinating and close to the property. Make sure you get the transport option from the station, the road up to the property is quite steep.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2018

The Kaiseki dinner was amazing, each dish too beautiful to eat. It was my first experience in a communal Japanese bath, but they provided instructions in English so we felt quite comfortable that we were using the baths appropriately. The futons were quite comfortable, so no problem sleeping on the floor! Walking distance to the shrines and bus stop for bus into the national park lake area. I also left my travel jewelry case in the safe upon departure and they graciously shipped it to my next hotel. Note the staff has some English, but not necessarily fluent.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Teena S
Reviewed April 9, 2018

We spent one night in Hoshinoyado for our first time visit to Nikko. We had a very nice Ryokan expereince - onsen, Kaiseki dinner and Japanese breakfast, futon beds and sleeping on the tatami, a nice Japanese garden which is illuminated during dinner time, affordable price and convenient location (next to the Sacred bridge thereby allowing us to visit Toshogu shrine on foot).

All the above were known before we booked. What surprised us was the excellent services which the whole team endeavoured to provide us. The service personnel was very attentive serving us during the dinner time (I forgot her name unfortunately), the Front Desk Manager Ryo was particularly helpful by offering to bring us to the train station to make sure that we can get on the bus for the Chuzenji Lake. The kaiseki dinner was delicious - it's simply delightful to see so many small plates with high variety of food. The Japanese breakfast was also very good though our children were not used to have rice and fish for breakfast. Yet, they offered coffee and tea which makes the breakfast for westerners perfect.

We will come back to Hoshinoyado if we will visit Nikko again.

A big thanks to Ryo and all the staff !!

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2018

Arguably THE closest ryokan to the UNESCO sites; go down the hill and across the street. Parking lot was about six cars in front of the hotel. Hotel staff was friendly. Room had a bit of wear but was clean. I booked thinking that they were serving shabu-shabu, but they served me kaiseki (Japanese-style courses) instead. I don't eat any seafood, but the rest of the dinner was good, especially making the yuba (tofu skin) and tofu right at the dinner table. The public bath was small, but nice. Price was about $200 plus liquor, but for a solo traveler at a ryokan, it was a good deal. If you are a picky eater, it'd be best to skip the meals and book the room only. (There are some cafes and restaurants nearby, but some of them close early, especially during the off-season.)

Room tip: Book through their Japanese website if you know the language; I saved about $50 doing it this way
Date of stay: March 2018