“Very luxurious by North American standards”

InterContinental Yokohama Grand
Ranked #4 of 114 Hotels / Ryokan in Yokohama
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was one of the children who presented the scissors to cut the ribbon for this fabulous hotel. Fantastic experience, breakfast elaborate with a multitude of cuisine to choose from...Suite suitably decorated with practical amenities. Minato Mirai...the "Future City". Very exciting experience. Was very pleased to participate.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bunnie_hop_skip

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Visited Dec 2006 on the Christmas day.
As it was high season, we were only able to get the super expensive room, and was a shame that we only stayed there to sleep as we arrived late in the night.
The view was great and the service was great despite that we arrived late.
On the checkout, we were able to receive the discount through amex which was a great deal.

Will go back again if we needed to stay in Yokohama.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Disappointing room. Very old and tired, and the air conditioning is poor. We stayed here in summer during a heat wave, however we also stayed at InterContinental Osaka in the heat and there was no problem with the air conditioning there. We mentioned to the front desk that our room was not cool, they sent someone up to close the curtains! So we either had to sit in a dark cooler room or a hot room with a view. On the other hand the concierge were extremely helpful & polite in assisting us to get around and which trains to take on the subway to Tokyo as well as recommending excellent restaurants in Yokohama and Tokyo. I would not stay here again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alyson R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Yokohama Grand, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Alyson R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you found our concierge extremely helpful and polite. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by our air conditioning system. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stay here often as an Ambassador member. The advertise it on their front desk yet are so argumentative as you willmseemwith numerous posts on here, flyertalk and the IHG website. Youmwouldmthinkmthatnwhen you pay 200 dollars for a membership that they advertise you would not get the hassle. Every other country gives you an upgrade to the next category not just the next floor up. They scam you to say its a premium room even though you can't book it online. Club acess is denied and you still have to pay for fitness center. They always respond with nice remarks but nothing changes. Staying soon as Royal Ambassador but not expecting much. Such a shame for a nice hotel in nice location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Stephen W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Yokohama Grand, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear Stephen W,

Thank you for your valuable review. We value you as an IHG Rewards Club Royal Ambassador Member and your opinion matters. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. We are sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectation on this particular occasion. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you encountered due to the level of service received. Comments such as yours permit us to target areas of concern and take the necessary steps where great attention will be paid to the matter.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you will afford us another opportunity to showcase our usual levels of service.

Zelyn N

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel was very nice. The rooms were large and comfortable, and by the looks of it most of them have an excellent view of the harbour. There are 3 shopping malls and a small amusement park close by, so the location is excellent.

My only gripe, and the only reason that I gave this hotel 3 stars instead of 4 was the debacle that was breakfast. I travel a lot for work, and this is the first time I have had to queue for a my breakfast. It took almost 20 minutes, and when you are travelling for work and on your own you are on a schedule, and would normally be finished and back in your room after 20 minutes, not just sitting down.

This hotel is an international hotel in every sense of the word, it is excellent, but they should be embarrassed by their breakfast service and try to rectify it as soon as possible. It is obvious that the breakfast room is not large enough for a hotel with this number of rooms.

So basically if you don't want breakfast, I would stay here, otherwise there may be better options.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Yokohama Grand, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear WallabyGold,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the facilities on offer and the location of the hotel. However, I would like to pologize for any inconvenience your breakfast experience may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the guest services we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Although I am very familiar traveling around Tokyo, somehow I missed Yokohama until now. The InterContinental is attached via breezeway to the Pacifico Convention Center and the Queen Mall and the Metro -- all great places to visit. The hotel itself is incredibly quiet with beautiful views. It did not seem to be super updated with furniture and bedding, but all kept up well and very clean (as you would expect in Japan). The overall atmosphere was relaxing without much hussle bussel. My colleagues complained that the hotel restaurants were over priced. The breakfast buffet is very extensive with Japanese and American favorites enough to make everyone happy. I especially enjoyed the sesame dressing (could drink it!). It was about $36 USD and they sat me solo so I could use my computer with a plug in and relax. Service however was not great throughout. I had a problem getting coffee and tea refills at breakfast. I was under-poured (less than half a glass of white wine) in the lobby bar. When I mentioned this, the waitress politely smiled and never come back to my table. There is not an InterContinental Club for the loyalty clients, however the front desk promised a free drink (beer or wine) in the lobby lounge nightly. When I went to claim my drink, the same waitress said I could only have a free tea or coffee, and was not too nice about it. If the hotel can fix the problems or you are pushy enough, you will have a very good experience. I recommend visiting Cup Noodle Museum next door (a total hoot!), the shops and food destination in the red brick area and dinner in China Town. Overall I recommend a trip or weekend getaway to Yokohama -- what a cool little city!

Room Tip: I enjoyed my room facing the ferris wheel, but alternately the you may prefer the other side of the...
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I come to Tokyo regularly for twenty years. After several hotels in Tokyo, I discovered this one. I am very happy. It is quiet. It is on the sea with a nice view. There is space to walk around the hotel on the sea. I spend considerable time at the club, working when I have no meetings. Staff is extremely attentive and try their best to please. Rooms are very clean. Compared to some other five stars it is not flashy. But if you are looking for peace and quiet and a comfortable room, after a business meeting, I highly recommend. Also by staying in Yokohama, I manage to avoid center of Tokyo most of the time.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms
1  Thank Akin E