“High pressure merchandising”
Review of Cupnoodles Museum

Cupnoodles Museum
Ranked #7 of 645 things to do in Yokohama
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Full of people, in a large, airy building. The first tourist trap is the ground floor shop, really bung full of what I'm afraid I call tourist junk - the results of thinking by profit-seeking merchandise developers, I suspect.

Upstairs is the "Museum" itself. Sorry, but the "shop" put me off proceeding any further. The 500 yen entry fee is in fact equivalent to at least two cans of quality beer. Guess my choice!

3  Thank bradstow2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed December 16, 2012

A friend suggested this as an outing for our two families, and I couldn't really imagine it being any good. But in fact it was very interactive and entertaining.
After entering, we quickly went to the 3rd floor to get a reservation for "My Cup Noodle Factory". While we waited for our time, we took the kids up to the fourth floor play area (for kids 3 years and up, 300 yen entry charge) and they ran around and had a great time. There's also a nice observation deck, and a "Noodles Bazaar" eating area, which is quite convincingly staged to look like a night market with stalls offering noodle dishes from around the world.
We went back to the third floor, and even though we had reservation tickets, there was a huge line up for the "My Cup Noodle". I was concerned, but it was operated very efficiently, with a video to watch while you wait, and the line seemed to go fast. You get to decorate your own noodle cup, choose soup and topping, then encase the finished product in an inflatable bag.
On the same floor is the Chicken Ramen Factory, in which you can try making noodles, but this is only for children elementary school-aged and up.
After we ate at the Noodle Bazaar, and tried noodles from China, Indonesia, Kazakstan and Italy (half-sized servings at 300 yen each), we went back to the 2nd floor and looked at some cool art installations called "Creative thinking boxes".
There was lots of English guidance including a full booklet in English.

3  Thank luvmybaby
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The Cupnoodles Museum in Yokohama is a beautiful building with lots of space but very little else. There is a small gift shop on the ground level with various cup noodle related items for sale. The upper floors consist of a wall filled with various ramen from past to present. There is a short video on the founder and beginnings of cup noodle and various displays. Earphone translators are available for this video. A small replica of the first ramen stand of the founder and a small noodle food court is also available. For another fee of 300 yen you can design your own cup noodle foam cup and then customize your very own cup noodle with the various toppings and seasonings available. There also is an interactive play area for the children. But if you love cup noodle and have some spare time and with a 500 yen entry fee, it may be a place worth visiting.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

this interactive museum is perfect to entertain the whole family. I was in Yokohama on business and only went because I thought it amusing that there was such a thing as a cup noodle museum. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed myself. ( three adults) It was almost like Charlie and the chocolate factory where you could design you own noodles cups and the kids could play in a very cool (kids only) play area. From memory it was 500 yen. If you have a spare hour or two I would recommend this museum, you may even learn something about how the noodles you eat today came about.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Must-see. This museum is small, but has a lot in store. Not only does it have a gallery of all the instant noodles that were made, a section dedicated to Ando-san and his humble beginnings, but also a cup noodle factory where, for 300 yen, you can customize your own cup noodle cup with your own design and choose the flavors you want inside it! This is truly unique and so much fun for both the young and old. There's also an amazing seaside view from the museum, as well as a global noodle area where the indonesian noodles really taste like the ones I had from home. Not only that, the museum has a wonderful area dedicated to thought and innovation.

2  Thank poh3