“Lovely place!”
Review of Cupnoodles Museum

Cupnoodles Museum
Ranked #7 of 645 things to do in Yokohama
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Been a fan of cup noodles, I was really looking forward for this museum. This museum is really inspiring and i learnt a lot about the instant noodles & its creator, Mr Ando. What makes this museum most interesting is the workshops available. There are two workshops, one is My Cup Noodle, where you get to design then choose your own flavor & ingredients for the cup noodle. The other one is Chicken Ramen Museum where you get to make a pack of chicken ramen from the scratch like kneading the flour to packing the ramen into a packet you designed.

The Chicken Ramen workshop requires reservation from online beforehand. I checked it like a month before I leave and it is already full. So please reserve early. Anyway, I was lucky on the day I went over. Went to the counter & asked and they happened to have 2 slots at 415pm for me even though I went at about 11am. This whole workshop last for about 90 minutes. As for the Cup Noodle, you have to go and get the queue number on that day itself. Went at about 11+ and managed to get a 3pm slot. So be there early! Take the queue number first before you explore the museum.

There is also a theatre that shows a clip on how Mr Ando started making noodles. Interesting show that comes with English Audioguide. Do ask from the staff before you enter the theatre. There's also a play area for kids & a ramen corner which I didn't get to go as it was really crowded, though it was a Monday.

Admission ticket allows one to re-entry (Keep the ticket stub!) Thus, after I explore the museum, I headed to World Porters (besides) for lunch before I make my way back for all the workshops.

Overall, I totally enjoyed my stay inside. However, I think it is more on the workshops that makes this whole experience to a better level. So do go for at least one workshop!

3  Thank jas_yeo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,326)

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Did not expect much from visiting the museum, but it turned out to be pretty fun! Learnt a lot about Ando Momofuku, inventor of cup noodles, which was rewarding because I previously had no idea there was so much history behind cup noodles. The museum presents Ando's story through film and engaging displays, mostly in Japanese (but I believe audio guides are available for other languages). Don't expect free samples of cup noodles though! There is, however, a noodles bazaar surveying noodle dishes from around the world (300 yen per half serving size).

The museum itself is relatively new so the facilities are nice and it is a comfortable place to explore for a few hours. Some hands-on activities are available in the two "factories" - one of which requires reservation in advance, and the other requires you to collect a ticket at the door (these run out fast - I arrived early afternoon and they were all gone). I did not get a chance to visit these two attractions, but the informational exhibits were entertaining enough for a short visit. Since the museum is located near other sites in Yokohama, this would make a nice place to stop by for 1-2 hours if you are visiting the area.

3  Thank Takero
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Who knew that instant ramen had such an exciting start? Who knew that instant ramen could be so inspiring? From the claymation story of creation, to the recreated shack, to the making your own cup noodles, to the noodle bazaar, this was a great little museum in a beautifully modern building. A great way to spend a couple of hours!

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Who hasn't tried Cup Noddles yet? This museum is dedicated to the man who invented Ramen noodles, and is worth a quick visit.
If you're an adult, you can do this in an hour or less. If you are travelling with kids, then you want to spend more time making noodles, and eating some at the World Bazaar.
The cost to visit is 500 yen, and the displays are clean, neat and fun. When you buy your ticket, ask for an English brochure.
The only 'negative' was that the gift shop has very few items available, and you can forget about buying a t-shirt that is XL.
Overal, worth a visit.

2  Thank Ukaus123
Reviewed June 7, 2012

A museum for what Americans call 'Cup o Noodles'?? Yes, and it's fun and a good value. The inventor of instant ramen seems to be a sort of Japanese hero and the message was great...don't give up, look around you for inspiration...I really enjoyed it! We did the 'My Cup Noodles' for an extra 300 yen which made a unique souvenir. You color you cup then have custom ingredients added and they seal it for you- all very interactive.

There is a guide in English and all instructions are available in English as well. We didn't have time to eat there, but there's an international noodle bazaar for lunch...noodles from different cultures.

You only need an hour or two but I'd highly recommend it if you're in the area and have kids (or if you love noodles, food or are like a kid ;)

2  Thank shezswan