Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise

Ways to Experience Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise
from $73.66
More Info
1,057 results
All reviews dolphin show polar bear sea animals roller coaster main aquarium amusement park food court minato mirai beluga whales fantasy walrus tank attractions tickets countdown japan
Selected filters
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We made the mistake of getting the 5,050 yen full park pass on a day that was so hot that we stayed in the aquariums. Admission for just the aquariums would have been just 3,000 yen. Full park drops to 3,300 yen for the evening when it makes more sense in August.

Neat thing about this aquarium is that you can get really close to some of the big creatures in the tanks because of the way the tanks are designed. Great chances to take a selfie with ocean sunfish, whale shark, etc. Besides the main aquarium with the show stadium, there are 3 annexes. One is the "Dolphin Fantasy" that looks small in the main square that has the ocean sunfish. A little ways toward the hotel is a touch tank complex where you can pet a beluga and also see sea lions and seals. The "farm" is a off the docks where they keep fish that you can catch yourself. Wrist band get you admission to them all.

Because the escalator going through the sardine tank only goes up, you need the wrist band to go through the aquarium again and again from the bottom.

After the show in the main stadium, they lets you get close to the glass wall of the show pool where the whale shark lives with a school of her friends. There is also a window into the same pool just past the entrance where you can see the whale shark best when the show is going on above you because the fish swims deeper past the window.

The 50,000 sardines in the big tank is amazing. At scheduled times, they get the fish to ball up in sync with a light show. People start gathering about 20 minutes before each show.

It is a long way to get there by train from middle of Tokyo but not bad from Yokohama.

Date of experience: August 2014
6  Thank Volvodadfast
Reviewed August 7, 2014

One of the best attraction near Tokyo that I went last time in Japan.
The park consists in several different events:
A big and nice aquarium
An amusement park area (wasn't what we were looking for, so I don't remember very well how was that)
A fishing area, where you can get some fishes located in huge tanks, and send it to prepare a snack (very original idea)
And a resort area, where you can interact with some sea animals

There were also some isolated tanks, with moonfish and/or dolphins.

Also a dolphin show, but we didn't had time to see it.

Honestly I don't remember the entrance fee, but this is definitely a place worth the visit!

Date of experience: September 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Dad and I got there a little late and actually got the Night pass for couples for just the Aqua resort. The resort was actually split into 4 sections, and we visited 3 areas and skipped the Umi Farm, which was too dark to see anything. The dolphin tunnel also houses the huge moonfish and it's the first I've ever seen. The FUREAI Lagoon had a really playful dolphin that would blow water on the visitor, so be careful if you're trying to take a close up photo. I would say the most impressive part was the main aquarium, but I don't know if the discounted ticket is worth it, let alone the full priced ones. The place needs a little sprucing up.

Date of experience: April 2014
1  Thank BignPhat
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Interesting part of this aquarium is that it is on an island that is kind of a theme park type deal. However, it's a pay as you go kind of thing. You can however pay for a wrist band for the day to get into the aquarium as ride all the rides. Though the rides themselves coupled with the aquarium entrance fee can go up pretty high if you're going a la cart. The roller coaster alone is 1,000 yen, for example. However, if you're only interested in the aquarium, then just go for that.

The aquarium itself was really fun to visit. I hadn't visited one quite like it before. The had sea creatures there I'd not seen in other aquariums. Japanese Spider Crabs, Whale Sharks, quite a few kinds of sharks. Though I will say the aquarium piece in there I enjoyed the most was the one with the huge schools of fish and sharks. I'd never seen a tank quite like this at other aquariums so it was kind of breath taking to see the schools of fish react like they did while swimming. You also take an escalator up to next floor while going up through this aquarium through a tunnel allowing sharks to swim over you which was pretty cool.

They also had a dolphin enclosure building, but I believe that may be another fee if you didn't pay for the wrist band. I also want to think the ocean sunfish they had was in a separate building as well. It had it's own enclosure with no other wild life.

If you have kids, or want to touch some critters, it might be worth nothing in another building (and yes, fee if no wristband) there is an area where you can go and touch creatures, should you so desire. Though they do remind you that the animals may not want to be touched and so do not go to the edge to do so. When I went, it was pretty near closing time and the animals kept to themselves. But it was pretty neat to get so close to some of them.

I went because I wanted to see whale sharks, as I have an absolute fascination with them. Unfortunately, I found no way to view them closer than from the stadium seating for event and show type things they have. Really was disappointed about that (unless I just missed it, but I don't think so). However, I discovered their huge aquarium piece as well as some smaller pieces in there were things I'd never seen before and really enjoyed the visit.

Date of experience: June 2014
2  Thank MukuSix
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Only spent half a day at the Aquarium and not the rides there, but it was still absolutely fantastic.

Seeing the whale shark upclose along with the great collection of marine life, it was a very satisfying and enjoyable trip.

Also do make your way to the show early to get a nice seat in the center!

Date of experience: July 2014