“Authentic Ryokan experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kijitei Hoeiso
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic Ryokan experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed myself in this beautiful ryokan. The hot springs were great and the fact that you can book it privately at night is fantastic. MY friends and I really loved the outdoor hot springs and we went about 3 times on a one night stay! Nestled amongst the mountains it is a peaceful retreat with the sound of the running stream in the background which you hear even in the rooms.

The place is furnished in traditional Japanese styles and the breakfast and dinner provided has a lot of traditional japanese pickled flavours. Go there with an open mind to Japanese traditions and you will love it as much as we did.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank C_da_world_slowly

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

I have high expectation for this trip after reading the reviews & browsing over their web, but I would only comment is not worth the price... The services is very good..all the staffs are very attentive..location is not so great but not a worry as their hotel shuttle bus is very efficient. ..The room is ok, very traditional and clean..But the big minus point is the food....they do have many small small dishes with nice presentation...but the taste is really horrible...not a pleasant dinner i would say...for the onsen, its so-so only...I would definitely try other ryokans the next time round..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank yan0906
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

The setting was spectacular and the front of house staff was very helpful and accommodating. The traditional meals served in our rooms were a delicious adventure for us. Booking family time in the outdoor onsen was a delight, listening to the nearby stream and looking up at the mountains with the snow falling lightly.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYC-mfd
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

Having lived in Japan when I was younger I took the opportunity to take my mother and husband back to Hakone for an overnight stay. I chose Hoeiso because it represented everything a traditional Japanese Ryokan should.

The Rotenburo (outboor baths) were amazing. I found it completely relaxing to sit outside under the stars in the cool night air and enjoy the picturesque scenery of the forest around you.

Admittedly the rooms were older, but they were traditional tatami (straw mat) style, so this added to the aura of a traditional japanese experience. The rooms had full western bathrooms as well so you could still take a private shower should you prefer to do so.

The local delicacy (pheasant) was amazing, and the traditional side dishes served were done so with beautiful preparation and skill. Traditional japanese food is not like your standard japanese food and can be slightly unusual in taste (even for Japanese). But that is all part of the ryokan experience.

The staff were very kind and very accommodating to my family even though they do not speak Japanese. I think the language barrier just added to the experience for them.

Having read some of the previous reviews I was disappointed to learn that some people found Hoeiso expensive, old and not what they had hoped for. I think if you understand the japanese culture and can relate to the "authentic" japanese ryokan experience then you will definitely find this a beautiful location which is well worth the money and trip to Hakone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jessbparker
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

Location is ok. there are few buses running from here to Hakone yumoto station so must look at timetable. Walking would be too far.
Staff was accommodating, greeted us at front door. the guy had good level of english so he explained everything we needed to know.
however the maid who came to serve us dinner/breakfast don't speak any english. it would've been nice to know what the amazing variety of dishes were. impressed with seafood. pheasant meat was nice but much prefer it cooked than the raw version.
good food and presentation but i've had better tastng food at another ryokan.
THe best thing is having private onsen with my loved one. it was available for booking at night time. it was so relaxing with the river nearby. i am guaranteed a good night's sleep afterwards! =P
The public bathroom was also huge and had all the amenities you needed and more.
even nail polish!
overall really lovely experience. but will try a different ryokan on my next stay.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2008

Pleasant place, although slightly run-down. Food was a bit too sweet for us (many small dishes, probably the usual Japanese fare is more agreeable with us). One night is enough, after a bit of hot spring dipping and chilling in the room we were kind of bored. Staff was attentive and knocked on our door at 6.30pm sharp for dinner, 8.30am sharp for breakfast, and 11am sharp to check out.
Have a look at my pictures!
*Tip - ask them for private onsen sessions so u can go together as a family or couple.
- Booked through Rakuten and paid with Visa. (all prepaid so no fuss), however there was a "bathing tax", just 150JPY per person

• Liked — Peaceful environment
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Watertown, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

I stayed there for one night in early September (2007) and it was everything I wanted. The folks there speak very little English so be prepared to point a lot and be confused. They do know just enough to tell you the basics of what to do and where to go. If you are looking for something "authentic", I think this is a good choice.

Hoesio had very few reviews I could find, in English at least, so I was taking a bit of a chance. They were one of the few "real" ryokans who accepted singles, and I thought their prices were reasonable compared to the competition. I reserved via Rakuten Travel's website and paid 26,250 for everything, which included both dinner and breakfast served to me in the room.

I didn't have enough Japanese to know the men's bath from the women's, but I managed to figure it out for the indoor baths and remember it enough when I got outdoors. Those of you reading this message... the indoor women's bath has the RED curtains (not blue). The outdoor women's bath is first along the path and has the enclosure on 3 sides.

I had a Japanese-style room, which was all Japanese except for the western-style toilet. (Which I'm sure everyone appreciates!) My room had a main area, a "verandah" with a low couch, coffee table, and mini-bar fridge, and my own private Zen garden! The room was clearly not new; some wear on everything and cracks in the tile in the bathroom. However, it was all quality stuff.

Meals were amazing and served in my room, in traditional ryokan style. For westerners, sitting on the floor can be rough but they did provide those back-support chairlike things which helps. When I arrived, hot tea and a sweet were waiting. Dinner was served afterwards in two courses. Two different soups, all kinds of tiny little dishes, and it was all very nice. Breakfast the next morning was also lovely.

I knocked off a star for some of the aging furnishings. I also would have appreciated just a little more support for English-speakers; even just international symbols for the baths would have made me feel much better. There was also some construction going on (under the yellow tarp in my photo), which made the grounds a bit more difficult to navigate.

I would recommend this place to folks who are looking to get a real ryokan experience. If you read up on ryokans and what a "standard" experience is, you'll find you can get by here even with very little Japanese. However, if you can speak the language I'm sure you'll have even more fun!

• Liked — Food, onsen baths
  • Disliked — Slippery stone stairs
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo