All reviews outdoor onsen traditional ryokan min bus ride flowing river hakone yumoto station ryokan experience japanese breakfast sleeping room mountain view vegetarian food visiting hakone rooms are spacious cherry blossoms bit dated green tea japanese style room spent one night
Selected filters
Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

The ryokan experience should be part of everyone’s first trip to Japan.

Hoeiso is a good place to stay if you are visiting Hakone. It is well connected: an 8 minute bus ride from Hakone-Yumoto station and about a 30 min bus ride to the lake/sights. The bus stop is directly in front of the hotel. The ryokan was very helpful regarding instructions.

The building itself is in need of renovation, however I found it adds character to the experience. Hoeiso is located along the river with a nice garden and nice (though not spectacular) views of the surrounding mountains. Especially the outdoor onsen next to the river is great!

Breakfast and dinner are served in your room. The food is very traditional, good but not excellent. We had better quality elsewhere on our trip. Although our “waiter” was very friendly, he seemed very nervous and his lack of English meant he couldn’t really tell us what we were eating, which was unfortunate. Please be aware that as this ryokan is not located in a village, there are no alternative food options.

We stayed two nights at Hoeiso - in hindsight one night would have been enough for the experience.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank juliana588
Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

We arrived at 14.00 and left our bags to go exploring Hakone (fabulous region, stunning views, great hikes). We returned circa 6 giving time to freshen up before Kaiseki feast served in room. Rooms had mountain view’s, spotless, and set the tone for stepping back to a simpler time. We had excellent service and they accommodated all our special requests. First time pheasant was top class as was substitute for those who wanted it and all courses complemented perfectly. Slept well on the mattresses they set up on the mats. Pillow a particular highlight I am trying to track down! Early morning outdoor onsen perfect on soft day beside gently flowing river and nature waking itself up. We had requested 3 Western and one Japanese breakfast and both were perfect starts to the day ahead. Everyone on staff was so friendly and helpful and concerned for our onward well being. Thank you all for a special Japanese experience.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank DeclanM_DC
Reviewed April 25, 2018

I booked my accommodations at Kijitei Hoeiso in hopes of having a traditional ryokan experience, and I got just that.
My friend and I were warmly greeted at the front desk, our bags were whisked away and put straight into our room, the front desk clerk spoke excellent English as he checked us in and explained the layout and scheduled our meals. We were then escorted to our room. I saw some other reviews talking about how the hallways were a bit dated and I can totally understand that, but when it came to our room, it was pristine! Traditional tatami mats, AMAZING view of the mountainside, and of course a fresh yukata for each of us - which btw our host noticed that I was tall and immediately went and swapped out my yukata for me so that I would be more comfortable.
When it came to bathing, I knew it was going to be a different experience than I was used to. The facilities inside were extremely well kept and I felt very comfortable with the whole experience.
The absolute HIGHLIGHT of the stay was slipping down to the outdoor onsen early in the morning and having the entire place to myself. As I soaked next to the rushing river, I listened to the birds sing and stared at the gorgeous mountainside covered in cherry blossoms. It was a surreal moment.
I will say the food (while gorgeous) was a little bit hard for me to enjoy mainly because I didn't know what I was eating most of the time, but I tend to be a picky eater in general.
All in all, yes it was different, but that was exactly what I was wanting. My stay here was a definite highlight of my trip!

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank DEllenKay
Reviewed April 9, 2018 via mobile

I’m glad we experienced a traditional ryokan and the onsen here are amazing and we made good use of the indoor and outdoor baths. However, the accommodation was a bit dated, smelt of musty smoke and we couldn’t bring ourselves to wash in the bathroom. The staff looked after us well during our stay, however we struggled with the food. The first night we made a good job with the food (my 7 and 9 year olds tried as much as they could) but we barely touched the breakfast. It was a bit of a stretch too far for us. I know that they prepare all the food in advance and it didn’t seem all that fresh. The cooked fish was chewy and cold and tasted as though it had been sat in a fridge for quite some time. We couldn’t face the thought of the food again for another night and morning so we asked them not to serve it on our second night as we felt so bad wasting it. They were very good about it and still bought us water and green tea when they put our futons down. I’m not sure I would recommend this accommodation to families with children and I certainly would suggest taking some supplies with you just incase. It is a shame because the experience is a lot of fun and the onsen are fabulous. We left a bit disappointed and I’m sad to say, we wouldn’t return.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank MummypigLM
Reviewed March 8, 2018

It is my 2nd time here and I love that they not only able to cater to vegetarians, but they are also not so hoity toity that they would turn away solo travellers as is a common practice with many other hotspring accomodations in Japan.

Their staff's service is great, I love their outdoor hotsprings by the river (you would have to shower first in their indoor baths since their outdoor ones does not have shower facilities). They are still building their Japanese garden but I am sure it will be beautiful when it is complete.

For an additional fee you can reserve the men's outdoor hotsprings for half an hour period in the evening, but do so early otherwise there will not be any timeslots left.

If I have anything to complain about it would be that the hotsprings are a walk from my room. It is always a walk to the outdoor hotsprings. Other than that it is quite perfect.

Both stays I got the same room I think, and I loved it, it was large and has a good view.

Food is good too, it was not too much that I would be so stuffed and unable to finish.
All in all, I think I will still visit again, it is convenient, staff is welcoming, service and food is good, and hotsprings are great.

I will certainly stay here again, it is not often one finds a good hotspring accomodation that caters to both solo travellers and vegetarian meals.

Date of stay: February 2018