Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.com$255
Hotels.com$234
eDreams$255
Priceline$269
Travelocity$234
Orbitz.com$234
All reviews train station japanese style room private onsen japanese food baths ryokan meals hakone yen mountains sake autumn bathing
Selected filters
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I supposed the rate of this ryokan is considered mid-ranged but the price is still considered high for what we received.

While the Japanese-style room is spacious, there is nothing fancy about it. They should have clean the door to the balcony as it was very dusty. The bathroom was dated but clean and I am quite satisfied with it. The view from the room was not attractive.

The location is very inconvenient, you have to walk uphill if you choose to walk, otherwise, pay JPY800 for taxi. They do provide shuttle bus, but only once to hotel, another once, to the station. Don't dream of getting another free ride even if they happen to go and fetch another patron! Moreover, you have to find a public phone to call them so that they can pick you up from the station. Mind you, public phones are only available inside the Yumoto station before the exit gate, once you are out, prepare to walk very far for the other public phone near seven-eleven.

We stored our luggage in the hotel after check-out, a man (a bell-boy, maybe) told us that we could call them for pick-up from station again so that we can collect our luggage back. We were too naive to believe that, we walked very far to call them, and their answer was no, you are not checking in, so we can't pick you up. So we took a taxi there, when we arrived, the shuttle bus was just leaving to pick up their honored checking-in guest from the station! Fine, so prepare to include taxi costs if you choose this ryokan.

We were told by the manager that we can book the private onsen for morning 7am. We arrived at 7 am, and it was cold, windy , and a woman told us that it is always closed for the morning. Well, the public onsen was large and nice, so we didn't insist anyway, but just disappointed with their service.

They should have an instruction on how to wear the Yukata too.

Dinner and breakfast were okay. The ingredients were very normal but we can feel that the chef had really put in a lot of effort. The waitresses are very friendly and helpful. I do thankful that they didn't charge my son for the rice and orange juice.

Overall, I will not stay there again, because of the price, location and service. With the amount of money, I sincerely suggest you to go elsewhere.

Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
7  Thank luvtravel18
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Aura Tachibana was our first stay in a traditional Japanese Ryokan.

Service: The service was excellent from the start, the staff was very friendly and spoke good english.

Room: We had a traditional Room whith Tatami mats on the floor and Futon beds (we used a second futon layer for our 2nd night) The room itself was ok but nothing too fancy.The bathroom was a bit outdated which was a bit on the downside.

Food: The food they serve is amazing, they serve kaiseki dinner which contains of several courses all nicely arranged. We stayed there for 2 nights and had different types of dishes for both diner and breakfast.

Onsen: They have a big Onsen bath, both in- and outdoor which is separated for men and women. In addition they have private baths on the rooftop which can be booked.

I can highly recomen

Date of stay: September 2010
1  Thank Surfrider72
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We stayed in a Traditional Room, and prior to my visit, I had confirmed IN WRITING with the hotel that the rooms had been renovated in Dec 2009. I had a written confirmation from the reservations manager of this fact. However, when we arrived, they gave us 2 rooms that were very old, very smell (moldy smell that came from the bathrooms that had rotten wood and were probaby from the 70s.) I have allergies, so the mold and smell actually caused my allergies to act up, and I called the manager to try to change rooms. Unfortunately, after about 5pm, the only manager who speaks English is off duty, and so no one could help. The next day, the English speaking manager did not show up until past 10am. We tried to wait to complain, but we had to catch a train so we left before speaking with the manager. The food was fine, nothing special if you've had good Japanese meals. But the rooms do NOT look like the photos.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
7  Thank GBaani99
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We wanted to experience a Japanese-style room (on tatami matts) so booked one in this hotel for one night. Hakone is a small, picturesque town set in the countryside which allowed us to experience some wonderful peace after Tokyo. The free shuttle service to and from the station was perfect and the reception area beautifully modern with welcoming tea and great service (also throughout the booking process). The stay includes up to three visits to the onsen - thermal bath - located in the hotel. They provide everything you could possibly need and more (i.e. robe, towel, soap, shampoo, conditioner, creams, brushes, etc) and women and men enjoy the experience in separate areas. I have never felt as relaxed as I did afterwards and my husband said he had never felt so clean! The dinner was incredible (we went dressed in the hotel yukatas) with course after course of strange but delicious plates and then we returned to our room to find the beds rolled out and made. The roof terrace is also worth a stroll. And to top it all off, the breakfast was similar to dinner with numerous courses - we did not manage to eat as much as for dinner first thing in the morning though.

Date of stay: July 2010
Reviewed June 14, 2010

This was by far one of the highlights of Japan for me. We'd booked a night at this place as a little relaxing getaway from Tokyo and I'm so happy we did! The views were spectacular, and the food was unlike anything we'd ever encountered. The staff were very respectful, friendly and attentive, they talked us through everything from the moment we sat down to check in to when we got to the room. The whole experience made our trip to Japan just that little more special.

As we arrived a little earlier before check out time we decided to walk to the hotel. My advice would be not to if you're carrying lots of luggage, as the hotel is uphill. There is a shuttle bus from Hakone Yumoto station that takes you directly to the hotel for 100 yen, otherwise the hotel can pick you up if you arrive between 2 and 6pm.

I booked the Japanese/Western style room with private balcony/hot spring bath and the view alone from the balcony was worth it. We also booked a hot spring up on the rooftop terrace, this is something I would recommend as the view was even more spectacular up there. The room was tidy and spacious, the bathroom was clean. And this may sound funny but the toilet/bidet was state of the art and gave me an appreciation of this quirky part of the culture.

Dinner and breakfast were included in the rate. I've never eaten so much in my life! Definitely save some room for dinner. There were lots of things which I hadn't eaten before too so that was a fun experience. I would opt out on the dinner if you're a fussy eater.

The surroundings of the hotel was lovely. Great for an early afternoon stroll, as the sun sets the light looks amazing in the lush forestry.

Although I traditionally stay in Western hotels I think this place would be great for people who want to experience a traditional ryokan in comfort ... the yukatas, slippers, the tatami mats, futons. I would stay here again next time I'm in Hakone.

Date of stay: May 2010