All reviews buffet dinner shuttle bus sauna and steam rooms western japanese room hakone yumoto station large hotel great onsen outdoor onsen hot pools rooms are small top floor onsen hotel no shoes romance car stayed for one night men and women japanese style
Selected filters
Reviewed May 12, 2019

I had expected the full onsen experience from staying here overnight. Possibly just not helpful check in staff. It was only by watching some locals help themselves to the Yukata (robe) that I realised that was part of the process.

I booked a private room bath for an hour....... that was horrid - not due to the facilities - but as there was a young baby screaming next door (hopefully it was't in the hot water!). Know families have to travel - but have some consideration if your baby is that upset. Didn't bother with the main ones, and none were in natural (ie was rooftop).

Room: HUGE. The biggest I had in Japan. But bland bland bland, with poor lighting. I had a standard western suite - not sure if they had more traditional suites.

Food: Buffet dinner/buffet breakfast. Huge selections at both. Service efficient. Usual issue with luke warm scrambled eggs at breakfast. Unlimited green tea etc from machine so that was good.

Gardens: This was the best part of the hotel - small garden, but beautiful to wonder through (even in the rain).

Check out: Wish I had the person who checked me out to check me in. He was lovley and the usual Japanese helpful - down to going to the shop to get me an umbrella (choice of two) to purchase. Very very very helpful.

The wee township (short walk) looks lovely. Maybe I didn't spend enough time here - but I was glad I wasn't there for longer............

Would not recommend. Overpriced for what it was - even though included dinner and breakfast.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2018 via mobile

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Tenseien. It did feel big for a ryokan, but all the amenities one would expect were available. The onsen facilities were excellent. There were several separate pools which made it easy to find a space for yourself. We got a Japanese style room with private onsen; highly recommend! The futons were also very comfortable. Would definitely stay here again when in Hakone!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

Wow
Amazing facility in Hakone close to Hakone train station
Great onsen experience
Several bath and sauna with outdoor bath
Wonderful massage , several options to choose from
Friendly service and very clean

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnnysGoodLifeTips
Reviewed September 14, 2018

I stayed here for one night as part of a package tour, so the choice was not really mine, but I greatly enjoyed the stay. The room was spacious enough for me and comfortable, food was good, too.
I am not a great fan of communal bathing, so I booked an individual room and found it a pleasurable experience. However, the best part of the stay was their massage services. Their masseuses are incredible professionals.
Booking massage sessions and individual baths was prompt and was done on a very short notice.
A word of warning. Some rooms do not have showers (some apparently do), the idea obviously being that guests can shower at the baths. I found it a little disconcerting, because baths are wonderful and all, but a shower in a room is something that I find necessary nonetheless. It was not a problem for a one-night stay, but it might be a problem for a longer stay.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
4  Thank Kriemhild
Reviewed May 23, 2018

This is a great place to experience the Japanese onsen/hot baths. Fully Japanese in character, shoes off at the entrance door, a large hotel with western style rooms (which we had) and Japanese style rooms (which we did not see). Wonderful hot pools on the roof and covered indoor baths (separate for men and women), bathing nude, Japanese style. Private baths are available at extra cost. You are given your choice of patterned Yukata to wear for going to baths and for eating in the dining room as well as a jacket. The outdoor gardens with 3 waterfalls are really beautiful. The buffet breakfast and dinner, although not gourmet, are a good array of western and Japanese foods. There is a very good restaurant on the grounds for lunch. It is an uphill hike from the station -- take their shuttle across the street from the station (Stop A, I seem to remember). An excellent experience.

Room tip: 4th floor has massage rooms; 5th floor has free drink stand (coffee, tea, water).
Date of stay: May 2018