All reviews shuttle bus sauna and steam rooms western japanese room hakone yumoto station large hotel great onsen buffet dinner and breakfast outdoor onsen hot pools rooms are small onsen hotel stayed for one night men and women romance car japanese style hakone free pass socks
Selected filters
Reviewed January 11, 2018 via mobile

We booked a western/Japanese room, which consisted of a twin bedroom and a tatami room with a view of the garden. For people who aren't sure about sharing a communal bath, I highly recommend booking a private family bath for 1hr for 2000yen (half price if you travel on romance car from shinjuku).
Buffet dinner and breakfast were both wonderful, with a vast array of western and Japanese cuisine.
The garden is fabulous, with two waterfalls, ducks and koi carps that you can feed!
Overall such an amazing stay with warm, friendly Japanese hospitality. We only stayed for one night, we wished it was for longer! This hotel is highly recommended if you want to experience the countryside outside of tokyo.
Thank you, Teiseien, we will be back in a few years' time for sure!

Date of stay: January 2018
1  Thank FoodLoon
Reviewed December 26, 2017

The hotel is around 15mins walk from Hakone-Yumoto station. If you arrived with luggage, my advise is to take the hotel shuttle bus; pay the 100yen, it is well worth it. I'm glad I took the shuttle bus. If ever at the ticket booth in Odawara for purchasing Hakone Free Pass, the information guy there told that you can take Bus K and is within 4 mins walking distance to Tenseien, don't believe! The bus stop is not on the road that is beside the hotel. You got to walk a distance and a long flight of stairs to reach Tenseien from the hotel. Definitely not a option for people with luggages. Don't save the 100yen.

Upon reaching the hotel, you got to take off your shoes and put it in a lockers. Basically you walk around the hotel bare footed or wearing socks. You will get a bag for onsen usage as well as yukata when you checked in.

The onsen are the highlights for me and also the reason why I choose this hotel. There are 2 hot indoor tubs, 1 cold indoor tub and 4 hot outdoor tubs. Its kind of relaxing immersing in the outdoor tubs with cold wind blowing at your face.

As for the dinner and breakfast, buffet style, kind of basic, nothing to rave about. I still prefer those onsen hotels that serve traditional dinner.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank JoViTheFun
Reviewed November 1, 2017 via mobile

Very high quality onsen but with a price that matches. The staff were very friendly and accomodating with nothing too much trouble. The baths are excellent. Only let down by the huge size of the building and the buffet. Wouldn't necessarily recommend for non-Japanese speakers.

Date of stay: November 2017
Reviewed October 17, 2017

Getting to the hotel was easy. There is a shuttle bus that does the rounds of a number of hotels.
Our room was ok. Nothing to get too excited about or complain about.
The onsen is the reason to go. Being in a hot pool looking at the night sky was fantastic.
Men and women's pools are on different levels. Your shoes are removed as soon as you enter the hotel and put in a locker.
I have a tattoo on my arm and was worried about whether I would be allowed in. I covered it with large sticking plaster and tried to be discrete. No one made a fuss. I wouldn't attempt it without covering as I have had people freak out at a local swimming pool in Tokyo.
This is a very large hotel, a bit impersonal and lacking in generosity. However, I would still recommend it as an experience.

Date of stay: September 2017
3  Thank brojoau
Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

This was our first Japanese onsen experience. Hakone Yumoto is a good base for exploring this beautiful area. The hotel is about 1km from the station. If there is a shuttle, it was not apparent. However, it was not a difficult trip to pull the luggage there - thanks Google maps.

This is a major resort for Tokyoites having a weekend away. Arriving on a Saturday, we were part of a throng, with lots of families. The staff were efficient. The room was small, but OK. The corridors stank of stale cigarette smoke.

Dinner and breakfast are buffet style and the food was fine. I took the plunge with a communal (male) onsen and that was good. A nice outdoor pool area. With no mixed onsen offering, my wife and I booked a 'family' onsen. Don't bother!! A claustrophobic little room, with a scalding hot claustrophobic tub. We left after 10 minutes.

It was an interesting experience to see the locals at play, en masse, but I couldn't really recommend it.

What I can recommend, is hiking the old Hakone Hwy to Lake Ashi