Book now! This hotel is likely to sell out soon.
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Vio.com
$366
View deal
Agoda.com$366
StayForLong
Rakuten Travel
Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
All reviews traditional experience baths japan hakone dishes spring
Selected filters
Reviewed February 28, 2019 via mobile

This place is over priced...
The place hasn’t been maintained since it opened....
It stinks of cigarettes EVEN when you ask for a none smoking room !!!

It’s old and needs to be knocked down...
Don’t kid yourself just use AirBnb...

Date of stay: February 2019
3  Thank simondS7959UN
Reviewed February 14, 2019

We had 2 nights here to experience a traditional ryoken with its own onsens.
It was certainly that & as such was an experience, but comfortable, No.
We found the shared toilets & onsens a little confronting. The japanese meal, in our room may have been good food but without adequate explanation it missed the mark. Add to that changing slippers everywhere you go gets a bit tiresome.
We were glad we tried a ryoken but they are not for us.

Room tip: River view, near the toilet.
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Noel D
Reviewed January 26, 2019 via mobile

the people who review this place really poorly must have impossible standards because this place was authentic and peaceful and i’m so glad we went. we stayed for one night. we arrived and were made to feel so welcome instantly - they got our measurements for the traditional clothing & asked for any food requirements. we were shown to our rooms and were brought tea & sweets to have for afternoon tea, then had some free time until dinner so we went to the private onsen which was so relaxing but be careful because it’s so hot!! we then went back to our room and were brought the first course of our 5 course meal. it was such amazing food!! i’m vegetarian so i was worried i wouldn’t be catered for, but they did everything without meat or fish and it was perfect. they served my partner completely different foods because he eats meat, and he loved it all too. after dinner we went for another swim in the private onsen (we both have tattoos and there were no issues with us going in). the private onsen was great so we could go in at the same time and not be disturbed. in the morning we were brought breakfast (i had a western style breakfast and my partner had the japanese). both extravagant and very filling. check out was easy and they saw us off out the front very kindly. this was a great place to stay after being in tokyo for a week, and is in an easy to get to location via train from tokyo - we went to kyoto afterwards which was equally as easy to get to from the ryokan.

Date of stay: January 2019
3  Thank lucindass94
Reviewed January 2, 2019 via mobile

Absolutely wonderful little Ryokan. We had a lovely lady who attended to us and guided us, My/Mai/Miy? Both female and Male onsens available, along with a private onsen suitable for about 2 people. Traditional rooms with quite comfortable futons that are set up for you while you are at dinner. Dinner is a 5 course meal consisting of lots of seafood and traditional sides. Absolutely delicious, even for a picky eater such as myself. Every dish was explained which was so helpful. Highly recommend getting a river view room, splendid sounds coming from it
Convenient location, bus stops right down the road from it, right before a bridge.
We only stayed 1 night, but I can recommend 2 or 3 for the full relaxing experience

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed December 22, 2018 via mobile

I booked a stay at this ryokan because the ryokan I stayed at the previous night (Gora Kadan) was booked for my last night in Japan. I chose this ryokan based on the glowing TripAdvisor reviews and the fact that they assured me they could prepare a dashi-free vegetarian kaiseki, even though I was a little skeptical about sharing a toilet. I don’t often review on TripAdvisor, and especially not negative reviews, but I feel compelled to warn others that this place is not worth the hype that other reviewers have left here. This is the fourth Ryokan I have stayed at in Japan and would never stay here again nor recommend it to anyone else.

I’ll start with the positives - we booked a river view room, and the view out our window was indeed fantastic. The service also was excellent. Our room attendant was helpful and kind.

The facility itself is historic and I appreciate that it has been frequented by poets, artists, etc as advertised on their website. I feel that the age of the building, however, is in no way an excuse for the sad state of disrepair. There are stains on the carpets, scratches all over the walls and wooden panels, and the shared toilet and onsen space are moldy. The building feels and smells damp. This place really could be excellent with a little investment in renovation, but alas this has not yet been done.

I thought perhaps the stay would be redeemed by an excellent kaiseki meal, but this too was lacking. The udon was quite tasty, but the rest of the food tasted as though it had been boiled with dirty socks. Breakfast also was a disappointment, the eggs were too runny and the bread was cold and tasted as if it was a day or two old.

The price certainly is more accessible than many other ryokans in Japan. However, my advice is to save your money and splurge a little on a place that is clean, relaxing, and serves a tasty kaiseki meal. I can highly recommend Gora Kadan in Hakone or Shiraume ryokan in Kyoto.

Date of stay: December 2018