Book now! This hotel is likely to sell out soon.
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Vio.com
$366
View deal
Agoda.com$366
StayForLong
Rakuten Travel
Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
All reviews traditional experience baths japan hakone dishes spring
Selected filters
Reviewed November 25, 2018 via mobile

Me and a friend stayed here for one night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

- we stayed in room 4. It was large, had a nice veranda next to the river and was warm enough despite the obviously crafty building. Wi-Fi was fine.

- the spa itself is great. There is a male, female and private one. Beware it is VERY hot.

- service was amazing. We were looked after from the moment we arrived until we left.

- the food was wonderful. We had a 5 course dinner and a large Japanese breakfast included in the price. They catered for my no seafood request perfectly.

- location is 15 minutes walk from the station. We spent a day doing a route of the sites (bus, boat, cable car & train!)

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2018

We stayed here as a family of 4 in October for 2 nights in the Quadruple room (the largest room in this Ryokan), as our last destination before flying back home.

Firstly, if you choose to stay here, you need to be mindful that you are paying for the experience of a Ryokan but not expect any of the luxuries of a 4 or 5 star hotel otherwise you will be disappointed and you will be paying 4-5 star hotel pricing.

On check in you will be assigned a host who will take care of all your needs/ requests during your stay. We were assigned Akane (I think that is how her name is spelled) and she was amazing, thoughtful, and attentive to details. Her english command was satisfactory so communication was not an issue at all, although at times we had to repeat ourselves but thats all part of the fun of cultural experiences.

I believe most of the rooms bar 1 share common toilets, our room was upstairs where it occupied the whole area which means we also have the toilets to ourselves. So if your budget allows it, and you like some privacy then I highly recommend the room we stayed in. Furthermore, I believe there is only 1 room which have its own private bathroom whereas all others including ours you have to use the common bathroom/ onsen which didn't bother us as we quite enjoyed it. There is a private bathroom/ onsen but you will have to queue for it which we never did.

Our room was extremely spacious, as it had a dress room with cupboards and make up table, and 3 other living areas plus a closed in balcony area with a wash basin. This means our dinner table never had to be put away because we had plenty of space for the mattresses to be lay out. Our room also overlooked the river, which provided a great scenery and you hear the flowing waters. This could be noise to some and soothing to others. Bear in mind, no doors are lockable, everything is made of wood, paper walls/ glass windows so sound travels through thus not much sound insulation. One can say the rooms feel dated, but this was part of the appeal for us. It felt like we are stepping back in time.

B'fast and dinner served daily, and you have to select a time for the meals to be served. There are multi-courses and everything was certainly tasty & intricate, although some items were a tad exotic for us nonetheless was a nice experience. You do have a choice of Japanese or Western meals, we chose the Japanese of course, otherwise what is the point of staying at a Ryokan.

The Onsen is split into Men Only and Ladies Only and swapped around at different times of the day so you get to experience the 2. One felt newer than the other which was more "organic" if that I can use that word to describe it. As I have mentioned, don't expect any luxury and you will enjoy the experience.

We did explore around the Ryokan bldg and there is an interesting room (at least to us), which used to be their bar/ karaoke room although it is largely only used by staff these days as a rest/ smoking area. The room must have been established around the 70's-80's because when you walk in there it felt instantly that era, but it stunk of 30+ years of cigarette smoke....lol...we took a few photos in that room and thought it was amusing, check it out for yourselves. Again, I emphasize the appeal of this place is in its authencity, nothing fancy / flashy just an old bldg with lots of character/history and wonderful & attentive Japanese service. If I recall correctly the business has been handed down 4-5 generations.

The location is not great but not bad either, we certainly would have been a tad lost if we tried to catch the bus and navigate our way there, although google maps might alleviate any issues. But once there, it is walking distance to the train station / bus stop.

We had a memorable experience which was culminated by the fantastic service Akane provided, the size and location of our room within the bldg (e.g. we have our privacy), the food and Onsen (although we have experience much better onsen at Hokkaido).

• Trip type: Traveled with family
4  Thank VHILW
Reviewed November 1, 2018

This one is hard to review. As a hotel it's by no means four star and might struggle for three by US standards. It's really about the experience here. Service was excellent and the meals brought to you in the room were the highlight. We thoroughly enjoyed that part and it was very authentic. For that experience I would recommend the place.

While the building itself has some charm and is historic, there's a lot to be said for places that are old AND well cared for. I'm afraid the hotel is shabby in a lot of places and for the price I would expect a lot more. I know a good part of the cost here is the two meals but it's still really too much for this place. Our first room looked out at a shabby roof and exterior wall and was actually depressing. We upgraded to a river view which solved that problem but of course at an additional cost. Also be aware that there is no bathroom in your room. You will have to walk down the hall. That too could be said to be part of the experience if your up for it.
Overall, for me, the charm factor was spoiled by the lack of care in upkeep. The onsen baths themselves are pretty rough and shabby. The room had scratches and stains. OK for a sort of summer camp experience but if you're expecting any sort of luxury your in the wrong place.

So would I stay here again or recommend it to a friend? I'm afraid not. Do the area as a day trip and look for a better ryokan experience.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
6  Thank sbray
Reviewed October 27, 2018

This is the place to stay when you are at Hakone, even just to stay for 1night to experience the Japanese Ryokan. I spent time just to walk around the place, enjoyed the free hot spring (for hotel guests only, cos its a small Ryokan, I had the place by myself all the time when I used)!! I had a river view Ryokan, even just sit by the window drinking my tea or coffee, truly enjoyed the place. Its a bit pricy for solo traveller, but its worth it!!

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Bronwyn K
Reviewed October 26, 2018 via mobile

The scenery is amazing! We stayed in the Sakura room that has a view of the river behind it. We enjoyed staying in this traditional Japanese ryokan. The food and service were great. The onsen was nice, be prepared for it to be very warm. They have separate times for men and women to use the onsen. There’s also a private onsen for those who prefer it. We struggled a little with communicating, but managed through it all. I would highly recommend staying here.

Trip type: Traveled with family