“Absolute gem at affordable price”

Hyatt Regency Hakone Resort and Spa
Reviewed June 8, 2008

This hotel is an absolute gem, we'd say no more, but only confirm all the positive reviews of the fellow travellers coming there before us.

A few tips :

1 - The drop and meet service to/from the GORA station is on request. Just call when you arrive at GORA, and they'll send a courtesy bus to pick you up.

2 - Still, if you want to go there by yourself, or cannot call, catch the cable car, and hop off at KAMI-GORA stop, to the RIGHT side. Remember, the RIGHT, or you'll be stuck on the wrong side, and will have to wait until the next cable car to go across. From there, go straight, the road will turn a bit to the right and you'll hit the HYATT, about 800 m away.

3 - Since the hotel shuttle service, and the cable car, stops ridiculously early, around 7PM, either you arrive before that curfew, or will have to catch a taxi. Or use your feet. Be aware that the road from the GORA station to the HYATT goes steeeeeeeeeeeply high and without a map, there is no way you can reach the hotel.

4 - So once you're at the hotel, don't even think to go out for dinner. There is NOWHERE to go for dinner near the HYATT.

But this hotel is one of our nicest stay during our trip and even at 22000, it worths every single yen

Stayed: May 2008
4  Thank BEEPfromPARIS
Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed May 24, 2008

We loved this hotel. Our room was huge and gorgeous..... the view on a rainy day of the mountains was very Japanese..... The food in the French restaurant was superb, though expensive. The breakfast was lovely. We loved the baths, though I would have liked hotter water.....Access to all the scenic areas was easy (buy the Hakone Free Pass ) = but it is a bummer that the funicular stops at 5pm. Would advise staying mid week for lower prices..... Saturday night was twice the price of Sunday.... and agree with the last writer that getting breakfast in the package makes sense. ( think it was US 25 dollars each). Note that the hotel does not run its shuttle to the train station until 11 am in the morning , at least on Mondays. Service was absolutely top notch.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank joelmari
Reviewed April 27, 2008

The Hyatt was the best hotel of the entire stay in Japan (we stayed at two Ritz hotels and Hiltons) this was surprising because the Hyatt wasn't the most expensive.

We arrived at the hotel by the Furnicular, the hotel is near the 4th stop. You head straight along the furnicular exit road, turn right and down the hill for about 2 minutes walk.

On arrival we found out there was a shuttle bus service, which would have been great. I would advise anyone travelling with suitcases to use this, you can book it online and (contrary to what others write) at the time of travelling taxi fares in Hakone were directly comparable to those in the UK.

On arrival your bags are quickly taken off you and whilst you check in they are taken to your room. As soon as you walk into the hotel there is a great relaxed spa atmosphere.

Check in was brilliant. The check in staff invite you to sit down while they briefly check you in, there is no hassle and all the staff spoke excellent English. It was this hotel that made me realise that all other hotels force you to stand when you check in, which you don't usually feel like after traveling for hours.

We were guided to our room by two staff, who had excellent English (when I asked about internet access, he explained how where the LAN cable was - I don't think many English speakers know what a LAN cable is!). Wireless access was also available The rooms are spacious, have mountain views with a huge balcony inside. They have an excellent TV and sound (BOSE) system.

The room was, by far, the best I have ever stayed in, outclassing the Ritz (Tokyo and Osaka) and the Hilton's exec rooms we stayed in.

We used the lounge, which had waitress service in the evenings and free drinks from about 5pm til 8pm. This includes free champagne. The wood fire is reviewed elsewhere here, but it all adds to the great atmosphere.

We used the Sushi dining room, and had a private eating area, we went all out for the a-la-carte option and weren't disappointed. The preparation and quality of the food was excellent.

We used the spa, and again this was a really good onsen experience. The whole place was ultra clean, was bathed in light from outside and we were relaxed instantly.

Access to Hakone and the mountains is easy, this hotel has to be one of the best placed for a relaxing trip, but where you can still get around.

By far the best aspect of this hotel was the customer service. This was exceptional, and in my opinion, the best in Japan. The arrival, check-in, bell staff, restaurant and spa staff were brilliant. We needed an iron and it arrived in the room quickly, the dvd rentals were supplied quickly, the staff couldn't have helped you more, but weren't always jumping at you.

Breakfast wasn't included in our deal, so I would advise others to book this in, as it would have been easier for us if we had.

I can't emphasise enough how this hotel is the best I have stayed in to date. The Hyatt Hakone has the edge and is the best value for money hotel I stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank 1976dude
Reviewed March 22, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night for a weekend getaway for my girlfriend's birthday. Practically everything about this hotel impressed me. I'll just get it out of the way at the start though, this is not the place to go if you're looking for a great onsen (hot spring) - but it's a fabulous place for everything else. I got a good deal through work, but after experiencing it first-hand I'd definitely go back again and pay regular rates.

When I first walked into the lobby with its curves and soaring ceiling I was hit by just how sophisticated and yet understated the hotel is - and that was a theme that played throughout the hotel - in the room, in the restaurants.

The room itself was huge - 560 square feet. Big, comfortable bed, great view of the mountains, beautifully appointed bathroom, all the amenities.

We had the most amazing dinner at the French restaurant (note you should book in advance). The food was excellent, but more than that, the restaurant probably had the best private ambience for romance of any restaurant I've ever been in. And it wasn't even that expensive for a French hotel restaurant.

Breakfast in our room the next morning was also huge and fabulous, if a little pricey.

Really I can't say enough good about this place. I just wish more hotels in Japan were up to this standard.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank saikou
Reviewed February 4, 2008

The website for the hotel does not do it justice. It is a peaceful retreat from the bustle of Tokyo and set in a beautiful location. We were lucky to have a mountain view from our huge bedroom, as I could imagine some of the other views might not be so good. We did not try the Onsen, but did delight in seeing so many of the other guests wandering around in their Yakuta. Despite there being families there it did not feel noisy in the spacious lounge area, and you didn't really notice the children. The lounge itself was a wonderful area for sitting and relaxing in with it's large open fire and view of the little courtyard garden. We were also impressed with the complimentary drinks we received, these were on offer between 4 and 7 and included red and white wine, juice and champagne. There were even special cups for littlies. Yes, you pay a lot to stay there, but it's little things like that that make it worth it! Like dinner too. We had opted for a package that included dinner and we took it in their Japanse restaurant 'Sushi', where the fish was very fresh and tasty and the sushi chef hilareous! Definitely worth the trip.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple

Trick for tourist

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
8  Thank babasanTokyo
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I spent 2 Hyatt Gold Passport award nights at the Hyatt Regency Hakone Resort and Spa in November 2007, so the price was right. I was given a standard room with a fabulous view of the mountains that even included the top of Mt Fuji. Needless to say I had fantastic crisp clear fall weather. There was an amazing panorama of colors outside my window. I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel and enjoyed my stay very much. If I had been given a room with a lousy view and it had been raining… I’m sure my enthusiasm would have been dampened, but fortunately this was not the case.

Good:

• Spacious modern room with subtle Japanese design influence. Excellent spacious bathroom with a separate wet room, and a heated towel rack. Good use of halogen “down lights” throughout the room. Some lights dimmable. Nice Bose CD/DVD player. Quiet, quiet, quiet. I could have just been lucky, but I never heard a voice, a door slam or a peep out of anything or anyone. Dead quiet heat and a/c without drafts. Great beds. Motion sensor light in entryway/shoe removal area.
• Happy hour in “The Living room” from 5 to 7. Free flowing champagne (yes, the real thing), wine and beer in front of a roaring wood fireplace. Live music – first night was dual classical guitarists (really excellent) and jazz piano the second night.
• Complimentary coffee delivered to your room as a Gold Passport member (also coffee and tea in the room)
• The continental breakfast in the dinning room is excellent (as a Platinum I had to pay for it). The selection is not a large as many hotels in Japan, but I thought the quality was very high. Truly some of the best smoked salmon I have had in years.
• Interesting architecture. Fine attention to detail throughout the buildings public spaces. I like the sense of place this hotel has. The small tree garden in the center of the hotel was lovely with the fall colors… all nicely lit at night with halogen lighting.
• Fine modern onsen. True, there is not an outdoor bath, but I really did not mind as the interior one was very nice.
• Staff greeted me the second I arrived, took the luggage, escorted me to check in desk, offered me a seat, and brought me a warm towel. Check in not a problem even though I had one award night booked in my name and the other in my wife’s. They combined the reservation without issue. We were given a brief tour of the facility and then escorted to the room. The luggage had already been delivered. This and all other interactions with the staff were excellent.

Bad:

• The carpet in our room was bunched up in a few places. Detracted from my initial impression of the room, but I was able to overlook it without too much difficulty.
• The room furnishing is not as elegant as some other modern Japanese hotels such as the Grand Hyatt Tokyo (But I still liked the room).
• Not much in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

Miscellaneous:

• If you take the funicular to the hotel it is the 4th stop from Gora (Kami-Gora). Exit on the right side of the train as you face forward. It is an easy 5 minute walk down the hill.
• Caution, Caution, Caution: On weekends during fine weather (especially holiday weekends) the crush of people heading up to Gora can be amazing. We made the journey from Odawara to Gora in the early afternoon on a Thursday preceding a 3 day weekend with Friday being the holiday. The little mountain railway (Hakone Tozan line) from Hakoneyumoto to Gora was cram packed to the rafters, but at least we did not have to wait. When we came back down on Saturday afternoon the line we saw at Hakoneyumoto waiting to take the train up the hill was truly overwhelming. There were gasps from the Japanese on the train when they saw the lines!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple