“Fantastic Meal!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Itoh Dining by NOBU
Ranked #1 of 416 Restaurants in Hakone-machi
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are the NEW STYLE KOBE BEEF TEPPANYAKI STEAK Restaurant with super chef NOBU MATSUHISA!
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic Meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

We ate here on a Tuesday night and besides the two of us there was only one other couple (the restaurant is on the smaller side and can probably hold around 20 or 25 people max).

The food was fantastic! I ordered to Kobe tasting menu (¥190,000) which was 100 grams of Kobe sirloin and 100 grams of Kobe filet. My wife ordered the seafood option (¥70,000) which gave her lobster and scallops for her main course.

The following small courses came out in advance of our mains:

1. Seared on the outside Bonito tuna in Cesar dressing

2. Spinach purée soup

3. Seasonal salad with balsamic dressing

4. Lightly cooked sea bass with minimal vegetables

Then came our mains. The Kobe was very tender and cooked perfectly. They gave a good helping of garlic chips so that each bite could have its own. My wife enjoyed her lobster and scallops as well! However, the Kobe was the star of the meal.

After our mains we upgraded to fried rice (again with a lot of garlic which we like but others may want less) at a cost of ¥800 total.

Following our rice portion came:

1. Truffle infused cheese spread on two small crackers

2. Yogurt dessert in a pool of Peach flavoring

Including an order of ¥900 sake and tax, etc. our total bill came out to ¥330,000 or about $330. Not cheap, but worth it to get real Kobe (not the fake stuff they serve in the states).

The service was also fantastic and attentive (caveat that there were the same number of people working as eating so if it is busier I can't really comment).

We highly recommend this restaurant if you are staying in Hakone!

Some other notes: as I gave the weights above, the serving sizes are smaller if compared to what they give back in the states so people shouldn't expect a massive amount of Kobe with their order. Also, this isn't Benihana folks, not really a show (no volcano) just great food.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Adam L

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London
“Top quality food, lovely service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went on a Saturday evening. At one point we practically had the whole restaurant to ourselves (it for busier as the evening went on). We both went for the set dinner menu, I had the seafood whilst hubby went for the Kobe beef. Every dish on the 7 course menu was absolutely delicious and faultless. Thank you Itoh for a lovely evening.

1 Thank M_S_Lloyd
Danville, California
“Grossly overpriced for average food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

Dined here on a quiet Wed. night - we were one of only 2 couples in the whole place. As expected service was excellent and reasonably well paced. We got the tasting menu which was a huge mistake as most of the more substantive entree items were not that special. I was particularly unimpressed with the small portion of Kobe and Wagyu beef - I cook better filets from Costco on my backyard grill. The sashimi raw fish items were good but the whole meal was not $150 per person good - maybe worth about 1/3 as much. Hence 1* for value. You are better off dining at your hotel.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Boraxo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We had great dinner there last night!
We saw many other foreign tourists as well.
We'll come back next time we visit Japan again!!!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wannadies
Alexandria, VA
“My First Kobe Beef”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and I went here. Apparently we were the only patrons on the night we dined here. The chef was friendly and super nice. He spoke enough English to carry conversation. We had chose a set menu that had Kobe Beef. The taste was out of this place. It was certainly worth my every penny.

Visited March 2014