“Maybe we got lucky?”
Review of Kikka-so

Kikka-so
Ranked #30 of 483 Restaurants in Hakone-machi
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Kikka-so was built in 1895 as a Miyanoshita villa for the Imperial Family, using traditional Japanese architecture and garden design. In these relaxing surroundings, diners can enjoy the finest kaiseki cuisine made using seasonal ingredients.
Reviewed September 17, 2018

I'm interested to see other reviews saying that Kikka-so rejected people without a reservation and were closed for lunch and rushed etc.

A relative and I turned up in Hakone for a day trip the day after a typhoon. As a result, when we got to Miyanoshita around midday and walked around, a lot of shops and cafes were closed and there weren't many people around.

Perhaps for that reason, when we accidentally found Kikka-so and wandered up to the entrance, the staff welcomed us in (after I asked in Japanese whether it was ok to have lunch there).

As I spoke Japanese, none of the staff used any English, so I can't comment on that. The prices were about what I would expect from a fancy traditional style places with a lot of history in a famous holiday town. My relative and I both ordered the Japanese meal.

As expected, the setting and the presentation of the food was beautiful, and everything tasted great. We had a lovely view of the gardens outside, and the interior of the room was beautiful.

I didn't notice any problems with the service. I thought it was prompt and attentive.

I enjoyed the experience very much, but if my relative hadn't been picking up the bill, it's not a place I ever would have chosen to go to.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed July 2, 2018

The building and garden is beautiful. The food was also really lovely. The service was mostly good. However for the price I expect more than 'mostly good'. The staff seemed a little confused and not on the same page as each other. I was most annoyed when some staff members started clearing our table for the next course while half of us were still eating! This happened for several courses. I find it really annoying when staff members start clearing before everyone is finished. I felt like I had to rush my very delicious, very expensive food. The staff were slow with water/ refills as well, which was annoying because it was a hot day. So overall, great food, beautiful building - but the staff need a bit more training in service.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed April 9, 2018

We were staying at the Fujiya hotel (great hotel - traditional Japanese) - and had breakfast at the the Kikka-So Inn, our first full Japanese breakfast, and we were not disappointed.
The setting of the restaurant is typically Japanese, and it contributes to the enjoyable moment.
Be prepared to eat a lot - everything is very tasty, and also looks fabulous ! (be warned nothing is sugary :) )

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed December 7, 2017

It is very sad that kikka so is actually closed for lunch since march 2017. I send them email reading they need a reservation here. but they told me they already closed for lunch.

I am coming to japan again and I really miss this place. sadly I went there for a day visit only.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed November 4, 2017 via mobile

Sadly this place was a well rated restaurant across from the guesthouse where I was staying. Despite the place being nearly empty I was refused because of no reservation. I had arrived the night before and was on foot. Nearest Japanese style restaurant was a 10 minute drive. Albeit apologetically, he still turned me away. Sometimes it's important to be flexible.

Just want you guys to know so you don't miss out.

Good travelling!