“Absolutely loved it !!! Highly recommended !!!”
Review of Setsugetsuka

Setsugetsuka
Toronto, Canada
“Absolutely loved it !!! Highly recommended !!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel with my 2 kids. We booked a modern Japanese/Western style room. It was huge. There were 2 double beds for my hubby and I. The kids decided to use the self-service futons (mommy laid them out for them) and slept on the floor. Our stay included 3 meals - dinner, noodles as a before bedtime snack, breakfast.

We loved the following about the hotel:
- excellent service from front desk and restaurant staff
- room was huge and super clean
- beautiful and colourful yukatas that we can use from the lobby ... lots of colours and designs you can choose from (not the dull colourless ones at other hotels). This makes it very pretty when all the guest are walking around the hotel in their yukatas.
- absolutely loved the cedar bath on the balcony :)
- gorgeous scenery at the hotel grounds
- loved the onsen facilities....especially the 3 private ones
- the food presentation was exquisite....looked too good to eat and it was delicious
- steps from the Gora rail trains
- free internet service

DISLIKES....
- nothing for the hotel
- it was expensive....but very worth it...so I don't feel that it is my dislike (maybe for others)
- only "dislike" was that we had to leave :( ....only could stay one night....wish we stayed there for more nights (or forever)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Clownfish88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
singapore
Reviewed December 26, 2010

My family of four booked two japanese/western 36m2 rooms and stayed 1 night - 1st Dec on the 4th floor facing the garden at Setsugetsuka Hotel. We booked through Odakyu Travel at 21,900yen/person/night which includes breakfast and dinner and all taxes.

We were treated to ice-cream upon arrival and got to choose nice yukatas near the small shop on level one. The standard ones are in the wardrobe.
At the entrance of each room is an area for wearing shoes/wooden Japanese slippers. The brightly lit toilet fitted with washing facilities is located opposite this. You can choose to sleep on the mattresses on raised platform or futon on the floor where the table and chairs are. A wooden bathtub is provide for soaking at the balcony. The water is not hotspring water though. Separated bathroom/basin are adjacent to it. The room is very spacious, bright and airy with free internet. It is the biggest room during our entire stay in Japan. Besides yutakas, there is another set of shirt/pants provided. You can wear either to go to the hotsprings. I find the shirt/pants very comfortable. Two lovely baskets are provided to put personal belongings when visiting the hotsprings.

We loved the private outdoor hotsprings as the water temperature was just right. There are 3 such hotsprings in the hotel besides the public indoor and outdoor ones. No booking is required as long as it is unoccupied. If the light in the birdhouse corresponding to each private hotspring is turned on, it means it is occupied. We soaked 3 times during our stay. Loved it! Free flow Yakult provided along the corridor near the hotsprings.
Japanese dinner and breakfast and were good. Complimentary ramen provided for supper after 10pm.

It is the nearest hotel to Gora Station, less than 2mins’ walk and there is a direct bus going to Gotemba Premium Outlet from the bus stop no 2 opposite the hotel. It will stop outside the outlet. There is no transfer needed. First bus is at 9.40am. Journey was about 55mins. These were 2 reasons why I choose this hotel. There are also many shops outside the Gora Station but these usually close before dinner since dinner is provided by all hotels in Hakone. They catered mainly to the tourist crowds in the day.

Would recommend to stay here if you don’t mind paying through the nose. For more pictures, refer to travelisveryfun.blogspot.com

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
13 Thank Joyful08
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Stayed here for 1 night as a getaway from Tokyo. The hotel is right across the street from the railway station (and if your room overlooks the tracks you'll hear the railway and the automatic crossing every few minutes!). The hotel blends some hotel and ryokan features. There's about 200 rooms I would estimate. Nevertheless, it doesn't feel crowded. Reception staff spoke english fluently. Room was very spacious, with a balcony that included an outdoor soaking tub and adjoining shower. The two floor beds were very comfortable. The room has a TV and free wired internet (ask for a cable from the front desk).

The highlight of the hotel are the spas. There are two separate spa areas for each gender. The main spa area comprises two indoor pools, a sauna, two outdoor pools, and three soaking tubs. All are of varying temperatures. The landscaping is beautifully done. The spa areas never had more than 4 other guests when I was there. There are three private outdoor spa-pools (first come first served) which I didn't try.

The ryokan also offers indoor heated stone rooms that are very relaxing (I suggest paying the extra for the private room [Y1500]).

We purchased additional traditional accupressure massages which were skillful and as relaxing as advertised.

You can choose between two restaurants (traditional kaiseki or shabushabu). We chose kaiseki and were treated to a 2-hr extravaganza of spectacularly designed food artfully presented. Service was gentle and professional.

Breakfast was also a traditional style, and came on one tray per order. I recommend the white fish.

Getting to Gora is half the fun, and from Gora you can take the Hakkone ropeway across the mountain, connecting to the sightseeing ferry across the lake back to Hakone.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cgr
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed March 24, 2010

We stayed at the Setsugetsuka Onsen on the evening before Culture day (3rd November), so the price was about 20% higher than on a normal weekday.
I chose this Onsen for a few reasons: the bath on the balcony, the fact that some of the staff were English speaking, and their ability to prepare us Vegetarian traditional Japanese meals. We loved the ambiance, the excellent location, and the fact that it was our main real Japanese experience of the trip. We loved getting dressed in traditional dress, and of course taking pictures around the hotel. Our room was huge by Japanese standards, and the beds were wonderfully comfortable.
The only disappointment was the bath on the balcony - it was too small for us to use, and the weather was too cold to bathe outside. My husband used the public baths and enjoyed them very much. In the end, I couldn't use any of the baths, as I burnt my arm quite badly on one of the dishes at dinner, and had to keep it dry and away from other hot things. Also, there was a strange smell all through the corridors and in the bedroom - I believe from the minerals in the springs.
In short, if you don't mind paying for the experience, this is a lovely place to stay, and I would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debi_zyx
Paradise, California
Reviewed January 26, 2010

This is truly an amazing experience and I recommend everybody to at least go there once in a life time (I will definitely return for more). The hotel is very clean, very nicely decorated, staff very nice. The rooms are very spacious. They think of every detail of your needs. There is a wonderful balcony with a bath tub and chair. The room has regular green tea and higher-end matcha. It even includes a humidifier! The service was great and there are staff who speaks English. The food was most amazing I ever had. The hotspring was just wonderful. An indoor, outdoor, regular hot water, and a sauna. There are even sea salt for you to massage your body. There are 3 individual hot spa which is just amazing. I had a massage there and it was super relaxing. The price of the massage is reasonable and not over the top.

I definitely will go back again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bambooscent
London
Reviewed January 7, 2010

We've been to this Hotel twice (once in summer, once in winter) and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Also its much nicer than mizu no oto, another hotel in this chain (though its quite good too)

Some English speaking staff, all staff are very friendly. Plus they have an English guide
free Internet in room (LAN) - ask for cable
3 private (couples) baths that are free, you don't need to reserve and are very pretty
private bath on balcony in rooms some with great views
The restaurant catered for my food allergy and provided alternatives to anything that I couldn't eat
Japanese or western style breakfast - western breakfast was not all that great.
beautiful garden
very close to gora station

All in all its fantastic and I couldn't recommend it enough!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kiisu
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2009

I have been to Gora Kadan, a much more expensive onsen across the street from this hotel but I am suprised how this hotel impressed me. Overall, it is even better than my last experience. The hotel is clean and nice, very considerably designed and excellent location for going around the area because it is only 3 minutes away from Gora Train Station. Check in was no problem as staffs are friendly and language was fine. The room was bigger than expected and was fully equiped with everything you need. The beds were comfortable (best sleep in the whole week we stayed in Tokyo). You can borrow nice Japanese Rope (Wear) for you and your spouse. They are fabulous for taking photos while you are in the hotel. Since their tubs (all public and private (men/women)) open from 5:00 am to 1:00 pm and then 3:00 to 1:00 am, we could use all of them in the morning, before dinner and after dinner. We especially enjoyed the "family pools" (three of them). You don't have to reserve them, you can use them as long as no one is using them. They were outdoor with nicely designed "nature tub". It was very memorable for us. Just be considerate and do not pollute anything there. We stayed here for 2 nights so we got to enjoyed 4 meals (2 breakfasts and 2 dinners) which were all great as we got to taste different style of dining (Japanese Fine Dining and Shabu Shabu with sushi and tempura), they were all very fine and delicious. The servers were excellent too as they were very attentive to us. I have no negative comments at this point, may be the weather is the only thing that you can complaint about if it isn't as ideal as you wish. Overall, we were more than pleased with our experience in this luxury hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple