All reviews foot bath hot stone welcome drink gora train station cable car lobby bar hot mineral bath private onsen moment you arrive hakone area open air museum japanese food staff was very friendly and helpful fourth floor room rate four seasons first morning
Selected filters
Reviewed April 7, 2019 via mobile

We were booked into this hotel through Inside Japan as they planned our trip. I had mentioned to the representative that we would try a ryokan as long as it had a proper bed. This should have tipped her off that we were not looking to have a complete Japanese experience. All the other hotels we were booked into were Hyatt’s and Conrad Tokyo, definitely a different cup of tea. When we arrived we were given traditional Japanese robes and slippers and were asked to dress in them while in the hotel. Once escorted to our room we were told to remove our shoes before stepping into the room. The facility was very clean but has no Western feel. I think there was only 1 other non-Asian couple in the hotel while we were there. Our first night was an adventure at dinner and while there was a lot of food, it was served very differently than we would have liked. For instance, the rice, the only starch of the meal, was plain white rice served with pickled vegetables at the end of the meal, whereas we are used to it being an accompaniment. Our first morning we went downstairs and when they served us a true Japanese breakfast without any western food or coffee I was shocked. Not at the ryokan but at the tour operator for sending us here. The hotel was quite gracious the second night at dinner and brought me my rice with my meal. They also brought us other food to insure we had enough to eat. One note, I have a food intolerance which they were made aware of but messed up by serving me incorrectly. When I questioned them they apologized and took it away. The staff did what they could but the choice of accommodation was not right for us. Moral of the story, if you want to truly experience a ryokan that the Japanese stay at then this is a lovely place. If you need to have some Western comforts then keep looking. There is a Hyatt nearby that would have been better suited for me.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2019

Location near train station is very handy. Many others in Gora are up a VERY steep hill from the eki, and there are not many services, so included meals are a big plus. The property itself is excellent. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. Our room with the open air onsen and mountain view was wonderful. We soaked twice a day in a very private deck bath. Very spacious by any standard with bedroom that had mountain views and separate living area with same views. The lobby bar with foot soaking well is insane. Just about everyone put on the yukattas for evening. The included meals were amazing multi-course for dinner and ridiculous breakfast array. No buffet here! Definitely recommend Tensui Saryo.

Room tip: go for the private bath in room, actually open air on deck, but I think they call it in room.
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave W
Reviewed March 3, 2019

In our stay I appreciate the european girl at reception, very kind and prepared. Unfortunately the rest was not so good.
We arrived at 3.00 pm at the hotel and in our reservation we had also dinner. They told us that the only left slot for dinner was 5.30 pm. Why nobody told us that we need to book dinner (17.30, 18.30, 19.30)?? They should write this information on Booking!!
Our room seems nice with stone hot tub inside, but there was a lot of mold in bathroom (see photos). Actually we used it and after dinner the room had 87% of humidity!!! Almost impossible to stay there!! Don't use it or take another room.
And finally there are no blackout curtains! See photos of 5.30 am!! Impossible to have a good rest.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2019

I wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised.
Gora is a small village. A few restaurants scattered around the town and a couple of tourist type shops selling basic snacks near the train station. Beware that if you are looking at accommodation this town is on the side of a very steep hill. There is a train line (they call it a cable car) that runs up the hillside, so you can access various accommodation this way.
This accommodation is close to the station, but you do need to go down, then up, a half dozen steps through an underpass. That said, it is easy. I only had a small overnight bag with me as I had sent my large suitcase on to Tokyo from my Kyoto hotel. Certainly worth considering when you come here to save dragging large suitcases on & off trains. Very cheap service and efficient too.
The street and Tensui Saryo entrance are rather unassuming. The lobby is huge and beautiful. A table of Yukata (cotton kimono style robes) is in the lobby for you to select your gown for your stay. I was initially shown to a queen room which was compact but would have been quite satisfactory for one person. A bit tight for two with a lot of luggage. The error was due to the fact that I changed my booking from 1 night to 2. Originally I booked the queen room, but when I went to increase my stay I realised a room with a stone tub wasn't too much more. So glad I changed!!
That room was huge! Ridiculously so really for one person, but I did love it. Once inside shoes were left and slippers put on. The wardrobe was in the entrance area, then the huge room. The bathroom was the entire length of the room behind glass. Blinds could be pulled down to stop light coming into the room in the morning, or if you are travelling with a friend and shy. Beautiful little kit of face products in the bathroom along with other toiletries. The toilet was separate and everything automatic. The toilet lid even raised when I entered! The huge stone tub was bliss. It filled automatically & stayed hot all night. A terrible waste I'm sure, but no instructions on how to turn it off anywhere! When it first started to fill I called the front desk & they came & turned it off for me & returned when I was ready for it. Not long enough to stretch out, but extremely deep and if I crossed my legs, I floated!! Very relaxing.
Free mini bar is 2 bottles of water, 2 cans of orange soda, & 2 different types of beer (2 bottles of each). The included breakfast is Japanese food and no substitution, so if it's not your thing then just skip. I went the first morning and ate some of it. You dress in the yukata to go to breakfast. You have to select what time you will dine (8am or 9am) and the food is waiting for you on arrival.
The lobby has a bar with floor level seating, but a 'trench' where you can soak you feet!! Didn't try but looked interesting. As I had the tub in my room I didn't use the onsen. Shared or private ones available.I was out exploring each day so didn't get to experience the free drinks and canapés between 3-5pm.
All in all, staying here is an experience, not just a room for the night. Would definitely go back if in the area.

Room tip: Select one of the rooms with a tub or similar
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2019 via mobile

If this is your first time to Hakone and trying to shortlist good places to stay, Gora Tensui is a good choice. Once you get to Hakone Yumoto train station, transfer onto platform 3 for train to Gora. The ryokan is a short walk at Gora Station ( you have to go through an underpass with stairs). There are many positives about this place. It is centrally located to ropeway, buses, train and within short walk to Open Air Museum. The food is very high Yakut and beautifully presented. We had the breakfast and dinner package and each night got better and better. There are welcome drinks and snacks from 3pm to 5pm. Great view of the mountains. The public baths (indoor and outdoor) is lovely. Cold green tea for your enjoyment at the bath when it gets too hot. You can book private bath or private stone spa. Complementary beverages in your room that is refilled everyday. The staff are lovely and while they don’t speak a lot of English, they try their best to help. WiFi worked perfectly at all places. Room had nice amenities. I have stayed at different ryokans in Japan and they are usually more dingy than the photos on the website but Gora Tensui was perfect and the room was exactly as their pictures. For ryokan, it was more spacious than expected. Overall hotel is well maintained. Most people will go around Hakone for sightseeing so finding a place with easy access to transportation is important.

Date of stay: February 2019