All reviews foot bath hot stone welcome drink gora train station cable car lobby bar hot mineral bath private onsen moment you arrive hakone area open air museum japanese food staff was very friendly and helpful fourth floor room rate four seasons first morning
Selected filters
Reviewed May 6, 2015

Arrived early and left our luggage as we were catching the ropeway into the mountains to see Mount Fuji and then the boat across the lake then the bus back to Gora. By then we were ready to sit at the hot springs bar soaking our feet and having (my daughter and I ) champagne cocktails ....the men folk had beer ! This is complimentary and a great start to the whole experience here. Our luggage (very little as used the luggage forwarding service from Tokyo to Kyoto) and shoes were taken to our rooms. My husband and I had the western style room with a bathroom/onsen that was truly amazing ! After going into the outside family onsen we got ready for a Japanese feast ! It was a work of art and delicious . Eleven course ! Had a Japanese breakfast next morning which again was loads of courses . A great experience . We were the only non- Japanese there which made it even more special.

Room tip: If futons a problem ask for a western style room.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2015

If you want a real Japanese experience without the inconvenience of being with other guests who don't speak English then this is the place. All of the guests were Westerners, most of them wearing yukatas and slippers - a sensible precaution if you want to drink at the bar because your feet will rest in a moat-like reservoir as you sit on the bar stool (no piranhas though)
Although the guests speak English, most of the staff do not speak it well at all. They are, however, very attentive and helpful. We slept in a Japanese style room (i.e. on the floor) but, thankfully, we also had some chairs and a table so we could sit and enjoy our tea. They have baths in the basement to allow for thorough cleansing before eating dinner.
Dinner is a really good experience if you enjoy Japanese food as I do and if you're accompanied by people who don't like it so much as I was. I had 2 1/2 helpings of all the uncooked fish which was probably as much as I could handle and still eat the rest of the dinner. Dinner is a set menu with 2 choices - eat it or don't eat it. I found everything delicious, particularly the clam soup with green onion, the sashimi, the amberjack shabu-shabu, and the roasted beef. Next morning it was also a set meal and contained more raw fish.
The setting of the hotel is quite pretty, close to hills and mountains but the view from our room was of a construction site.
Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Room tip: You can choose a Western room but they are quite small compared to the Japanese rooms and the bed is close to the ground anyway. Please note this is a smoking hotel - the only admonition is to not smoke in bed. However, although I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke, I didn't notice any odor.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Howard C
Reviewed April 21, 2015 via mobile

Booked two nights in a Japanese style room with private open air bath. I had made several special arrangements for the stay to celebrate my bf's birthday. Like what the other reviewer mentioned, I received an email from the hotel around 11pm the night before I was traveling to Hakone/Gora (I was in Osaka). The email was a little too brief in my opinion as they only mentioned that their hot spring is broken so they rebooked me to their sister hotel and asked me to go there directly - which made me nervous for the whole night because:
- I couldn't find a link to see how the sister hotel was like. Or its location
- I didn't know what room they transferred me to
- I didn't know if the special arrangement (including birthday cake) would be transferred
- I didn't know what the rates would be

I had the butler at my hotel in Osaka (st regis...amazing btw) to find the contact number and call them that night but no one picked up... So I spent the whole night worrying and researching for other options.

We also cancelled our plans for the next morning in Osaka to wait for Gora Tensui to call us and explain further. After talking to the manager he reassured that everything will stay the same and Gora Tensui will pay for the room at the sister hotel and the room is not cheaper than what we were paying Gora Tensui. We felt better after.

We then went to Gora Tensui first where the manager further explained to us the room they booked us at Yutorelo-an at Nakagora, and arranged a cab to send us there for free.

Yutorelo-an was OK. Not as nice as Gora Tensui or the few other hotels that were on my list for sure...

Although I appreciated the prompt rebooking service, here are a few things I think could be improved from my experience:
- in the notification email, include more details related to the rebooking and a contact number I can reach the manager at if I have questions
- offer alternative hotels for us to choose from instead of deciding on a hotel and room type for us... If I had a choice I would have chosen a higher class hotel than Yutorelo-an. It's to celebrate a special occasion after all.
- provide more transparency on the room rate at the alternative hotels. In my case, although Gora Tensui originally said that they would pay for our stay at yutorelo-an and the room rates at Yutorelo-an was not lower than what we were going to pay Gora Tensui, upon checking out at Yutorelo-an, we found out it's not the case. The total bill came out to be only 60% of what I would have paid at Gora Tensui, hence we paid Yutorelo-an directly instead.

Date of stay: April 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2015

We were so looking forward to staying in this hotel because of the great reviews, dining, stone bathtub and proximity to Gora station. We arrived to check-in and was offered welcome drinks. However, we were then given bad news that because of an electricity outage last night no hot water was available in this hotel and nearby premises. Instead Gora Tensui booked us another hotel nearby. The booking of the other hotel was complimentary and paid for by Gora Tensui. This speaks volume of the service of Gora Tensui. Apologies that we couldn't rate the cleanliness and rooms but wanted to comment on our experience/interaction with the hotel. I hope another day we will stay at Gora Tensui

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2015

I only have wonderful words to describe this place; I also don't have anything else to compare it, but the entire experience was great. I read a bit about it before booking it so I knew what to expect in large lines. The foot bath bar was a blessing after having travelled the entire day; the food is just amazing, the bath are very relaxing. I loved the fact that you could have a Japanese experience via wearing the yukata, as well as having traditional Japanese breakfast. I had a traditional tatami room and slept like a baby. The room has everything you could ever need, including traditional pyjamas and even socks. I must say that at times I was a bit overwhelmed by the entire experience and how nice the staff was to me. Another one for the memory book!

Date of stay: February 2015