All reviews traditional japanese room garden view beautiful japanese garden restaurant that serves explaining everything true japanese experience thin mattress private onsen short walk from the train station women and men western style japanese dinner tatami mats course meal traditional food onsen experience main building
Selected filters
Reviewed October 22, 2018

The Yoshiike Ryokan in Harkone was an outstanding experience. Although not a veteran of Ryokan hotels, I make the bold statement that the Yoshiike would rank amongst the best. Travellers looking for authentic Japanese accomodation experience, seek them out. Sleeping on tatami mats, albeit with a thin mattress underneath, may not suit patrons with mobility issues. We enjoyed dinner and breakfast as part of our package, both Japanese cuisine. Both meals were beautifully presented and delicious. The number of servings made the meal feel like a degustation menu was unfolding.

The outlook from our room was exquisite, complete with western style seating and large openable windows. The gardens were just on the cusp of full autumn tones. The obligatory stream and ponds were surrounded by meticulously shaped plants and trees which all seemed to extend and right through to the mountains beyond - an optical illusion which leaves the hotel’s patrons in the mindset that they have great privacy and good fortune to enjoy such beauty undisturbed.

Experienced bathers in hot springs or bath houses are familiar with the form of washing before entering the communal bath. Yoshiike ryokan provided the option of internal or external bathing areas (segregated of course). Choosing the external bath, I relaxed under the vista of trees and sky with the steam of the hot water wisking into the air. Relaxation and quiet reflection were mine to be had in abundance.

The staff of the hotel were exceedingly polite, helpful and courteous.

What an experience! I loved every minute of it.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank brianwelch54
Reviewed October 16, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. It's a lovely, traditional Japanese style hotel. The staff were great and it has lots of facilities. We had a Japanese style room and unfortunately these beds are incredibly uncomfortable! I don't know what I expected because I knew what I'd booked so this is not a critism. I was greatful only to be here for two nights though, I couldn't have taken another on the floor. The room itself was great and spacious. Bathroom was nice and clean and well stocked. Two tables and loads of facilities, both in the room and hotel. The only critism I have is there was a smell it the room that made me think it was a smoking room or had been smoked in before.

We used the private onsen which was fabulous. Used it three times over the couple of days. Only once did we have to go anyway and come back because they were both in use.

I can't use the public ones because of tattoos. So bear this in mind.

We used the karaoke bar one evening too which was fabulous! So much fun. We have to pay 200yen per song so again bear this in mind.

Overall, we had a great time. My reason for 4 stars is because I felt it was slightly more expensive than it should be, it was the most expensive hotel we had in our holiday.

Extra tips, Hakone itself is expensive we found. In the evenings around this hotel we struggled to find food as not many places are open for some reason. However we didn't eat at the hotel itself so can't comment on the hotel food.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lianne C
Reviewed October 9, 2018 via mobile

I ordered the traditional Japanese room with private onsen as a surprise for the family. Unfortunately I was the one that was surprised when I read the fine print on the hotel booking that they reserve the right of the meal location. The room was perfect with access to an extremely beautiful garden and the private onsen. It was fun for everyone to dress in the yukata and enjoy the room, garden, and best of all a private onsen (bath). Yes their English is a little deficient but it is way better than my Japanese!

The traditional Japanese dinners was quite traditional and I can imagine some tourists having problem with the menu selection. So tourists be aware of this. It is really traditional with fish prepared many different ways, most of which I had not experienced before. The hotel is older but the overall experience was great.

I kept returning to the garden because it was beautiful.

The onsen did have some leaves in it but I guess that should have been expected since it is outside and a typhoon had passed by a few days earlier.

It would be nice if they did have an information packet explaining everything for foreign visitor.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank ROCKAWAYOKA
Reviewed September 25, 2018 via mobile

But stunning garden and so pleasant outside Onsen
I booked a traditional room
It was ok and so spacious
What I prefer here was the garden and their outside hot bath
It was stunning , so pleasant !
After one day , under the rain , what a pleasure to relax here
I booked a Japanese dinner , it was so so

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank ksarman
Reviewed September 25, 2018

The room was very nice and comfortable. My fiance and I totally enjoyed the Kaiseki dinner & breakfast. The onsen is heavenly both indoor & outdoor. I would definitely come back again. :) The location of the ryokan is a bit far from the attractions, but Japan being Japan, it's not hard to get around.

Room tip: Our room was facing the Japanese garden. It's so pretty day & night.
Date of stay: December 2017