“Wonderful view of Mt Fuji from the restaurant terrace” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Green Plaza Hakone

Hotel Green Plaza Hakone
Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful view of Mt Fuji from the restaurant terrace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Saw Mt Fuji after breakfast, just walk out to the terrace outside the restaurant and there it was it all its spendour. Pros - Great place to stay in very convenient and near the ropeway stop with indoor and outdoor onsens. Cons - Rooms are old and kind of faded and the bathrooms are small typical of Japanese hotels. By the way the onsen is closed from 10am to 5pm ie middle of the day no onsen when I was there. Wanted a last soak before leaving in mid morning and was told it was closed. To be fair I think the front desk told me when I was checking in but couldn't quite manage to remember all the timings for dinner, breakfast and onsen.
Getting to the hotel - the ropeway stops running at around 5pm, I missed that and had to take a bus there just outside Souzan ropeway/train station. Stood in the rain for 20mins waiting for the bus and was panicking in case in doesn't come. The last bus is also quite early around 7 plus if I recall correctly. So be careful about the timing if you are taking public transport.
Also you kind of have to eat dinner at the hotel, there is nothing around it within walking distance, no shops. restaurants etc.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank sleng2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Beijing, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Green Plaza has beautiful lake view and nice spa. Buffet is very nice, the seafood is good. the Spa is a bit old and room conditions is also old.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
      Rooms
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012 via mobile

Spent the day here with a Japanese business partner. Very traditional Japanese, including hot bath and traditional Japanese dinner. Rooms are small, especially the bathroom. Rooms are clean. Rates are somewhat expensive.

Stayed March 2012
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We did not actually stay the night at the hotel- we took a daytrip from Tokyo to Hakone, and wanted to visit an onsen. I researched hotels beforehand and this is one of the few that allowed non-guests to use their onsen (for a charge, and you have to arrive before 3 PM according to their website). We bought the Hakone free pass (highly recommended!) and this hotel was right on the Obaku ropeway stop (the only hotel around there from what I could see, very easy to find). We paid our fee (ended up around $15/person) and my husband and I went into the segregated baths. When you first step in, there is a large room with showers, towels, lockers, massage chairs, and beauty/hair products to use. After undressing (yes, completely), you can step into the inside bath or the outside bath, which is what I recommend. From the outside bath, there is an unbelievable view of Mt. Fuji. In the women's bath, they bring complementary sake starting at 3 PM (my husband said this didn't happen in the men's side). We both really enjoyed it and it was a great respite in a hectic 10-day trip to Japan. The hotel was easy to find, the price for use of the onsen was very reasonable, and I will definitely come visit this onsen in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lunacy4
Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

Was at Hotel Green for 2 days. i can only say that for the price, i deserved better facilities, service, food, room quality..etc

no one cared about us traveling almost 1 hr and then wondering for another 15 mins around the bus stop area looking for directions to the hotel.. when we finally reached the lobby, we were expecting someone to welcome us after such a long journey... but.... the reception was empty. When finally a staff came out, he didnt look at all welcoming, or even offered a smle.. instead we were told to wait for another 3 hrs before we can check-in..

room (we choose traditional style) was dirty, old... wallpaper was peeling off...

dinner (cost us 5900yen each) was bad. after dinner there is no where else we can go to except bac to our room..

verdict? we will never go back again..

Room Tip: do choose hotel green. there are other hotels at hakone area that are better and cheaer
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
5 Thank shootingsamgoh
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

We bought a 3-day Hakone cable car ticket and this hotel is right at the Obako stop of the cable car route. It was our anniversary treat so we booked the biggest suite of the hotel. We broguht our daughter along and we figured out that sicne they charge a per person rate for this big suite, it worked out cheaper if we booked this big suite for the two of us and put our daughter in a separate large double room. They serve dinner in the big dining hall (not in the room as most other onsen hotels), and they gave us some special chopstick covers and free fruit plate for our anniversary. Dinner itself is a 12-course kaiseiki style Japanese banquet with beautiful displays. They serve welcome wines and after dinner they have live piano (playing famous Japanese & western music) in the grand classic reception hall. We have a private onsen in the suite but this is just a big (special wood) tub with onsen water directed via special pipes to this small bathroom. There is not much of a view even if you open the windows. In fact we didn't get to see Fujiyama during our stay as it was always cloudy.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank sprof
Kaneohe, HI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

This hotel really made you feel as if you were in a lovely, isolated area. In fact, it was SO isolated it didn't even have Internet. And when that's all you have to communicate with the outside world, including possible emergencies, it's sorely missed.

That's the only complaint I have about the facilities. The lobby is beautiful and elegant, with constant automatic piano music going (mostly the Beethoven "Moonlight" Sonata, played ad nauseam), a very nice bar with a mostly knowledgeable bartender, and a very nice garden with a Fuji view. The staff were, to a man (or woman) very helpful, pleasant and almost too anxious to please. My very heavy luggage, for example, was whisked away from me by a very petite little Japanese lady which made me feel a little guilty at making her lug so much. As one of these helpful ladies said, "That's my job."

I was torn between taking the direct bus from Odawara to the hotel or taking a combined train/cable car/roapway and having to transfer all my luggage from one to another. So I opted for the direct bus going, and it was a very pleasant ride, taking me from the busy downtown area of Odawara to the mountainous, scenic and lovely onsen towns. One little glitch about this was that when you arrive at the Obakyu station, you are pretty unceremonially dumped at the side of the road. At least he was able to point me in the direction of the roapway station. But when you get there you discover that, unless you have been notified to call the hotel, you have to walk down a very narrow and unpaved path to the back of the hotel. Since my luggage rides on those wonderful little wheels, it was a bit difficult. But once you're at the hotel you're treated like a king and all the facilities are really nice.

I especially loved that outside rotenburo that everyone else has talked about. When I arrived, though, the view of Fuji-san was not to be had, so that was a disappointment. I took a ride on the roapway, though, in both directions, first to the volcanic activity area and then back to Lake Ashi, and when I returned behold, there was Fuji-san in all its snowcapped beauty! I headed directly to the outside bath and that glory was visible for all to see at this wonderful rotenburo.

I had opted for the European dinner, and it was fine. I decided that one of the things the Japanese really do well in the culinary department is the "potage" course. Mine was a delicately flavored celery soup and it was really great. The dining room, by the way, is a huge, long building that can house quite a few diners, but the wait staff still make you feel at home and a welcome guest (if that's not an oxymoron).

The room was very comfortable, western-style, with a nice view of the garden and the lake, but the refrigerator kept going on and off, every time with a little "boink" sound, and that made it difficult to sleep.

The breakfast, as one of the other reviewers has said, was a typical east-west buffet, but it was just fine.

Going back to Tokyo I decided to chance the roapway/cable car/train route, despite having to lug luggage all around. It wasn't as bad as I'd feared, and it was fun looking out over all that scenery again.

In all, I'd say it was a very nice experience and I would go back again. I think I'd try that Japanese style room with its own onsen though,next time. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a private onsen. Looked great
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo