“Stunning room view ”
Review of Wakamatsu Honten

Wakamatsu Honten
Ranked #1 of 6 B&Bs / Inns in Narita
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in wakamatsu honten for 3 nights in the winter season. As previous reviews have said it is a bit worn inside and could use a bit of a revamp but my room was big enough with a wonderful view over looking narita San. The entry way and lifts stinks of smoke though. The staff are very helpful and polite. The only issue I had was with dinner the second night, the first and third nights were great. I had to request vegetarian meals a few days prior but the second day I was served up convenience store sushi (I have been in Japan for 5 weeks now and am very familiar with convenience store food) but this had the prawn part taken out (still prawn bits stuck on the sushi) and mushrooms shoved in there. The salad was a mixture of convenience store pasta salad and lettuce so I wasn't really happy with that meal but the other 2 were great. Located not far from narita station and an easy train ride from there to narita airport. The narita San complex opposite wakamatsu is very beautiful and I am very lucky to have such a beautiful view to wake up to. Would recommend a stay here if you're going to visit narita.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Georgie_LLAP

Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband had talked for many years about wanting to experience a stay at a traditional Honten, and this one specifically. We were lucky enough to get 3 days on the last few days of the year although not New Year's Eve. Two days would have been fine, a bit easier on our bodies. It was quite an experience and there are a few things I need to say. Do not stay here if you are not flexible! Living low down is very hard if you are over 65 and do not practice yoga daily. We had a lovely big suite and a 12 course breakfast was served every morning in our room by a lovely lady. It was incredible -- not that we recognized everything but we ate it all, including the beautifully presented fish that looked like it came out of an aquarium. English here is minimal but did not prove to be a big hardship. We dressed in the supplied ukatas while in the hotel and were very careful about where to wear shoes and where to take them off. A big surprise and a wonderful plus was the heated toilet seat with combination bidet. I would have liked to see the instructions in English instead of taking a chance on pushing the wrong buttons but we thought it a pretty safe bet that they would not burn our bottoms. There was also a small seating area, like an indoor balcony, in our rooms where there were chairs with legs and a coffee table and it looked across the road at the oldest temple in Japan dating back to 940 AD. A perfect location for walking around old Narita, a lovely place.

Room Tip: Overlooking the temple was lovely.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zelda47
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great place, staff friendly. Traditional Japanese. Other people has said it was slightly worn inside which I would agree with but it was clean and comfortable ans not a problem for me. The communal baths are a reasonable size and nicely hot. washing your hair perched on a stool is a bit of a faff but not impossible. The room I had was large, plenty of space. The bed, although on the floor was actually comfortable and I slept fine. Couldn't check in until later but they held my bags for the day.

It is right next to a big temple complex and park which is plenty to occupy you for the afternoon. There are also lots of little shops and restaurants along the street from the train station. 15 mins walk from the station, come out the JR Narita station and turn left and walk down the road with the shops. It's down the hill and on the right.

There is also an Onsen one train stop away. Hananoyu Onsen. Take the Keisei line one stop to kozunomori. Turn left out the station and follow the train line, on you left. Don't walk back past the station, don't go downhill. Keep going down the side of the housing estate until you come to a road and you can't follow the train line any more. Turn right and about 5 mins down the road on the right is the onsen. They only take cash, 800 yen for entry. walk in and put your shoes in a cupboard and then walk to the desk and they will help you, They don't speak much engilsh but the usual pointing and smiling works :) http://www.hananoyu-narita.com/english/

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank 19sue85
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here earlier this month and will go again. We like the location and the wonderful service. The ofuru is very nice too. Not an onsen-type experience, but as close as it gets. It's also walkable from the station, but a little far for most people. Maybe a little worn on the edges, the wonderful attention to guests and location really make this a great option for people looking for a relaxing place to stay in the Narita area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fhap13
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this delightful ryokan in Narita town whilst having an overnight layover at Narita airport. The town is only 15 mins from the airport, and the ryokan is a ten minute walk from the station. Very easy to get to, so to be recommended. We arrived in the morning, and were not allowed to check in until 1500hrs; they allowed us to stash our baggage with them whilst we visited the beautiful temple directly opposite. It is well worth a visit, with beautiful gardens, lakes and traditional buildings.

Our room, which overlooked the temple, was exactly what we expected; tatami mats, rice paper walls, futons and the most futuristic toilet we have ever experienced!! We were treated to a serving of tea in our room by a lady in traditional dress. The communal bathing experience was great, and is a must if staying here. It is available 24hrs a day, so can really help if you are suffering jet lag. There is very little English spoken here (sadly our Japanese is pretty poor) but we managed OK. However, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, and after all, smiles go a long long way.

Which leads us on to the food. We are fairly well traveled, and love to try new cuisine, but unfortunately both of us fell at this fence. The evening meal was beautifully presented and served, but the plethora of raw things (some we couldn't identify) and the overall strangeness of the food really didn't suit our palettes. We were disappointed, as we had been looking forwards to the experience. Fortunately we had to leave early the following morning to catch our flight or else it would have been a similar menu for breakfast so we were quite relieved. However, this is no reflection at all on the lovely ryokan; its just our taste buds talking.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monkeys_Mum_and_Dad
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The good.
Amazing location. The ryokan is right across from Naritasan which is beautiful in the autumn time with its historic temples and Japanese style gardens. Great if you're flying out the next day and it's a 30 minute commute to and from Narita airport. Service and food were both excellent.

The bad.
It's an older hotel, with dingy carpeting and cramped rooms. They have a large bath area - standard for a Japanese ryokan experience - but it's there more or less to tick off the box.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mundanelunacy
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We only had one night in Japan and decided to stay in Narita, We stayed in a traditional room with a private toilet facing the street, on the third floor. The room was very clean and so were the linens, the staff were great and tried to be as helpful as they could even though they don't speak much English, although there was a younger woman who was definitely learning.

We chose to eat in and have the traditional meal was severed in our room, the food here was fantastic, and it was quite an impressive spread.

The traditional baths, wonderful! If you've not been to Japan before I would highly recommend trying the baths it's a nice change, I went early enough that I was the only one there.

We really enjoyed Naritasan Shinshoji Temple across the street from the Ryokan, wow! I was impressed! I had no idea it would be so large and interesting, take time to explore it and have a good look around. It's better than some I visited in Tokyo! If you only have one or two days in Japan I would recommend staying in Narita and not even going to Tokyo.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple