“One of the worst in the chain”

Toyoko Inn Narita Airport
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Narita
“One of the worst in the chain”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Check in took ages although I got there before the tour group. Deduct a point.

They only had a smoking room available which didn't bother me that much but for those that are, I'd advise booking quite in advance as the non-smoking rooms sell out pretty quick at Toyoko-inns.

They gave me a fairly big room, but it wasn't very clean and it needed a bit of TLC. Deduct another point.

The bathroom was cleaned but did not feel clean. *Refer to picture* Although I have seen a lot worse before, I didn't think it was acceptable for a Japanese Nationwide Chain. Deduct two points this time.

The worst part was the service, all I wanted was a drink and they only had vending machines to provide this. The problem was I had run out of Japanese Yen and asked if they can give me some Yen and put it on my bill, "no we can't do that." So I asked if they can do me a personal favour and take a £10 note for 1000 Yen bill (It was 162 Yen to the Pound so that was a good deal) "no we can't do that." I asked another guy next to her who came back with "I don't have any intention of going to England..."

Getting to the point the staff do not understand "good will".

Should have gone to the Hilton which was only £20 quid more. Fail!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank TheJapaneseBoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is very close to the airport and has a free shuttle that takes you to and from the airport (both terminals).

My room was very big, but the decor was on the tired side of things. Although I had reserved a non-smoking room, I was in a smoking room - not pleasant (but, to be fair, I did not complain as I was exhausted and I just needed to sleep).

The food was awful. There is nothing around it, but a small restaurant (which actually serves decent food). I stayed in another hotel in Narita during my previous trip and I had a much better experience.

Not a hotel where I will return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
San Mateo, California
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed two nights and was pleasantly surprised at the size of the rooms. This hotel was a Prince hotel probably built during the bubbble times. Good service and besides the usual
breakfast, dinner is served for about $5. Good variety and $5 small bottles of a fairly good
wine can be purchased. Our room had a view of the airport Terminal 2 yet was quite. Wifi
works in the room as well as the lobby area.

Room Tip: If you don't want to eat at the hotel there is an izakaiya about one block to the left as you ex...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Recently stayed at the Toyoko Inn at Narita for a one night stop-over on the way from Seoul to Australia. A bit of confusion from the outset but finally found the Hotel Minibus waiting for us. The hotel itself is a bit out of the way but serviced by a bus that picks up passengers from each of the major hotels in the area - Toyoko not being one of them, we had to walk to another hotel to be picked up. Dinner at the hotel was disappointing and they have a crazy system where you have to buy a coupon from reception and take it to the restaurant. The free breakfast almost made up for it. As has been previously mentioned, the rooms are huge by Japanese standards which I found to be a big plus. If you are on a budget I would say that this hotel would be quite acceptable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikejordan99
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed here one night before catching a flight out of Narita. It's basically the Motel 6 of Japan with a decent free breakfast.

Pros - cheap, big rooms by Japan standards, free shuttle bus to/from airport, has AC and is clean. Decent free breakfast.

Cons - Very hard and uncomfortable mattresses - didn't sleep well. Tiny tiny capsule for a bathroom (approx 5 feet x 5 feet)...and you have to shower with the door closed because there's a big sign on the bathroom door saying if you don't it will cause the smoke alarm to malfunction. Epic fail. Also, the shower head runs through the sink faucet...and warm water is basically the sink faucet (via attached shower head) alternating between hot and cold water so there's not actually warm water, just alternating hot and cold.

Long story short - if you're ok with Motel 6 in the US you'll be ok with this hotel. If you need at least a Comfort Inn level of accommodations, look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013
Melbourne
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Yes, this place is a wee bit dated, but for the price it was definitely worth it. We spent a night here and chose the hotel largely because it had a free shuttle bus that would allow us to get to the airport in time for our very early flight (other hotels, including the Hilton airport hotel, did not).
We were pleased to discover that the entire hotel has free wifi and were even able to print off our boarding passes at the complementary print station. There are lots of vending machines, a laundry room and other services in the foyer.
Would I stay at this hotel for 5 star comfort and service? No. But it's hard to go past a room for two with all the aforementioned conveniences for around $65!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jobanoonoos
canada
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel was JAL's solution to a canceled flight layover at Tokyo Narita due to a typhoon. But from the beginning it was clear that this hotel was a poor choice.
We had arrived at 10 am during the storm and were offered the hotel room since we were grounded over night. Our first clue that this was a bad choice was the fact that the hotel shuttle bus stopped service from 11am until 2:20pm. Which meant that with the strict 4:00 check in, we couldn't even go there to store our luggage and at least go into the city. We even called ahead to ask and were informed that this was the policy. We had to drag our suitcases around Tokyo for 5 hours until we could get there. The location itself is very inconvenient. The nearest convenience store was a 15 minute walk. Otherwise the hotel lay in the middle of an airport industrial wasteland. The actual check in was a nightmare with haggard, inflexible staff who were obviously uncomfortable dealing with foreigners. It took us nearly 25 minutes to check in.We were told check out was 10am and the last hotel shuttle to the airport for the am was at 11:00 am. The room itself was big for a double room but old , and not very clean. The bathroom was particularly shoddy. There were just barely any amenities only a toothbrush and Japanese tea packets. If you could read Japanese you would know to ask for a ladies' set of toiletries, otherwise you got nothing. The room although on a non-smoking floor, reamed of smoke in the corridor. The walls were thin, so you could hear other occupants coughing, talking or moving around. The beds are clean but hard. The only positive was that there was decent WiFi.
The hotel had no coffee shop only vending machines and the little "restaurant" only served set menus, so we couldn't even pay for a cup of coffee when we asked, it had to be the meal set or nothing else. It was basically a DIY "budget" hotel.
The hotel clearly catered to Japanese and had few signs in English, even though it was an airport hotel. There was a TV but only Japanese channels.
Overall this hotel was disappointing for its lack of service and quality. I did not feel welcomed at any point or that there was any degree of the well-known Japanese sense of hospitality. It was a bed for a night during a storm and that's about it.

• Stayed September 2013