“Good location but staff not helpful or friendly”

Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Narita
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Good location but staff not helpful or friendly”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Yes the hotel is convenient, they have a pick up at the airport and provide a bus service but the staff is not helpful. We had to drag our luggage through the lobby to our room after an all night flight. We asked for information at the desk and received a big no at each request. We are pretty seasoned travelers who are very self sufficient but just wanted to avoid the 90 degree heat in the area today and were looking to find something to do before our flight out. They just want to get you booked in and out. The rates are good but don't count on much service or attention.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at the Narita Excel Hotel for one night in June 2013. Great location near the airport and saves you having to get yourself into Tokyo at night if you arrive late and jetlagged like we did. Free transfer to and from the airport. Very well equipped, comfortable and quiet room, good shower, air-con and internet connection. Breakfast available but not included. Very good value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa Z
Guam, Mariana Islands
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here for one night with 2 toddlers. We stayed in a Gardenia room with two single beds. My toddlers (age 3 and age 5) slept in one bed and did just fine. I slept in the other bed and aside from the bed being hard, had an ok, quiet night's sleep. What made me book this hotel was the convenient transfers between the airport and the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised that there were buses as early as 7am (I was sure the website stated "8:00am first bus") so we took the early bus and there was no stress.
Tips: I think 2 double beds would fit a 4-person family ok (1 parent + 1 kid in each bed). 2 singles wouldn't work I don't think. They do have connecting rooms if you book early enough.
Also: breakfast was meh. I would go on the early bus and eat at the airport. It seemed expensive and they charged me for my 5 year old.
And: read reviews of places that are closer. a 20-30 minute bus ride with 2 tired kids, then standing in line late at night at check in (because this place gets busy), is not the best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anneliese671
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here the night before we flew back to the uk. We had stayed at a different hotel at Narita airport the previous year and after hotels in Japanese cities were amazed by the size of the bedroom/bathroom in a hotel geared for a one-night stay. This hotel has more compact rooms which are perfectly adequate for a one-night stay. the rooms are air-conditioned with free wifi and they even provide coffee and not just green tea. The restaurant is expensive, but the buffet had a good selection of food. We didn't have breakfast and just bought something at the airport after our transfer from the hotel. There is a bus service to Narita, but we were too tired to go for a visit.

Room Tip: We were given a room on the front on the top floor. We had an excellent view of the airport and the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beverley_11
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I visited Japan on business in April 2013. I had to stay a night by the airport before my flight back to London, as I wanted to give myself a chance to rest before the long flight. The hotel offers a shuttle bus from the airport, which takes roughly 15 minutes to get to the hotel. The Hotel is an airport hotel hence why it is so close to the airport.

I was impressed with the hotel which had a large reception area and a good sized breakfast room. I enjoyed breakfast which had a variety of Japanese breakfast items (rice, cold noodles, fish, miso etc) and continental breakfast (eggs, ham, bacon etc).

I liked my room which offered comfortable sleep with bouncy bed and fluffy pillows. I had a fantastic sleep. I would stay at this hotel again if I needed to. I only stayed the night and it was worth it. I booked via booking.com and it only cost ¥ 6020.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank M_n_M1707
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is your basic airport hotel. Definitely have stayed in better hotels near the airport such as the Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport.
Rooms were alright. Beds were fairly comfortable. Internet in the room was very nice. Great view of a parking lot.
There is a shuttle to the local Aeon mall that was easy and free. There is also a free shuttle to the airport. Just make sure you know ahead of time which terminal you are leaving from.
Really the only advantage of staying there was its proximity to the airport since Narita is far from downtown Tokyo. Breakfast was average compared to the other hotels we had stayed at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank marc m
Ireland
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night before our flight home. The lobby is lovely. Our room was very comfortable and clean - large by Japanese standards! I had a great night's sleep. The dispenser for the soap and shampoo in the bathroom was unusual but everything was clean etc. We had dinner in the restaurant and we were really happy with the food. The shuttle bus to the airport was punctual, and the hotel is in a perfect location for this journey.

Room Tip: We had a room on the highest floor and it was lovely.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple