Hotel New Otani Makuhari
$116
$81
Rakuten Travel
  • Restaurant
Birdie Hotel Chiba(Chiba)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Mitsui Garden Hotel Chiba(Chiba)(Great Value!)
$63
$56
$71
Priceline
All reviewsnarita airportmakuhari messetop floortokyo bayincluded in priceelectrical outletsexcellent business hotelthe room was nicebit datedbaseball stadiumconvention centerbusiness travelerexcellent viewwalking distancevisit tokyoaeon malllobby area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 29, 2010

The service, as one would expect from a High-Class Japanese hotel, is impeccable. The staff are very friendly and anxious to please, although their English may not always be the best. This is however, made up for in zeal and politeness.
The rooms are small, typically for Tokyo, and a little dated and plain. However, everything works beautifully and is in excellent condition.
The bathrooms are pleasant, with many of the usual Japanese gimmicks- a heated mirror which doesn't steam up, heated toilet seat with built in bidet etc.
Didn't try the restaurants as there are many restaurants, cafes and fast food places in the nearby shopping mall and train station.
The location is convenient to the Kaihin-Makuhari train station and the Messe. Also the rooms facing the sea have great views.
The fitness/spa area is very good, although a little pricey.
To sum up, the hotel is very pleasant and comfortable although unlikely to remain in your mind for a long time.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I stayed at this hotel (my first time) for a week on business trip. Hotel is so convenient - just 5min walk from the KaihimMakuhari train station (20min to Tokyo Disney Resort; and it's only 40min to Tokyo Narita Airport by bus!).
Hotel also offered free shuttle bus (round trip) to Tokyo Disney Resort every day.
I like the 'opera' cake at the coffee shop... really nice.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2010

I stayed here as a solo woman business traveler. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the many high-rise office buildings baseid Makuhari.

My room (the basic one - no upgrade) was reasonably sized and very clean. The window coverings include an electric roll-down shade that is controlled by a button on the wall, plus sliding screens. When both are closed, there is no external light leaking in - - which is GREAT. My room was very quiet. I was near the elevator, but I didn't hear any hallway noise.

From Narita airport, there are two buses that take passengers to this hotel. One is run by the Airport Limo bus company, and there is another bus operated by the company at the ticket desk next to Airport Limo.

A system of raised, covered walkways makes it easy to get around the area near the hotel. You can walk almost everywhere without having to deal with traffic at street-level (except they don't cross the train tracks).

There are many restaurants in the area for all tastes. There are also several American style coffee places and shops for pastries. Movie theatres, videogame arcades, and shopping are also nearby.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I went to Chiba with my husband because he had a conference there. The conference was held in the hotel. When we arrived we were quite hungry as we had been travelling from the day before (we come from Malta) so we decided to have dinner at one of the restaurants at the hotel. It was raining heavily and decided not to go out that night. I'm not sure whether it was Japanese or Chinese but the food was gorgeous. We had so many different small dishes.
The room was beautiful. We were very high up - I 'm not sure which floor but from our room we could see the coastline. Below us was a small playing field and I think there was also the pool of the hotel and a conference room.
The room had electric curtains. The furniture was classical, i.e. clean cut and very executive-looking. My husband loved the shoe-cleaning device in our room! The bathroom was heavenly. We had one separate shower made of bianco carrara marble, a big bath with another shower in it and a big wash-hand basin. It felt very opulent.
The staff was very friendly. Lunch was abundant, mainly revolving around fish and seafood - which I loved! We ate salmon and rice for breakfast. There was also seaweed and green tea available.
When we arrived in Makuhari Chiba we were impressed with the cleanliness of the area and its infrastructure. The hotel is connected to different parts of the area/town with bridges. We were also amazed at the infrastructure planning, i.e. pathways for bicycles, traffic lights everywhere and very cordial drivers. It is a very well-organised place.
It was not far away from Tokyo. We took a taxi. I think it was rather pricy compared to taxis in Europe (which are not cheap either). We managed to visit a market close to Makuhari as well as a park. The market was also quite expensive - not the prices we are used to in street markets in Europe. It is beautiful to see their culture, their food and the systematic way they do everything.
We also managed to go to central Tokyo. There is a street filled with shops selling high-tech products. They were more expensive than the prices we are used to in Europe. I couldn't understand why, since they come up with all the latest technology. They are also very honest and tell you which products you will be able to use in Europe and which ones will not work e.g mobile phones, which ones are made in China and which ones are local etc. They will never deceive you.
We also went to the high streets. There is also an area very famous with young people - I can't recall the name as it's complicated. It's full of nightlife. We also visited high street shops - very expensive especially European designer names. Better to buy them from Europe.
The Japanese are such cordial people. I would love to go back.
A wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2008

We had exactly the same experience regarding assignment of a non-smoking room as described in another review. We booked a non-smoking room but were told on arrival that none were available. Two receptionists insisted that the smell of smoke had been removed and that we should try the assigned room. Since the room was in a smoking floor we declined and after a 15 minutes discussion we were finally given a non-smoking room. The receptionists appeared to be particularly annoyed about this.

The hotel is adequate, as you would expect for an hotel of this category, but nothing special.

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)