1,019 results
All reviews shopping mall mountain view train station huge mall non smoking nice view big room sea view room nice hotel wide range short drive food court direct connection ski trip easy access language barrier le tao
Reviewed September 17, 2018

It was my first visit to Otaru and Grand Park Otaru left me with such fond memories. Located just next to the ocean, train station and mall. Easy to travel around and value for money that not many hotels can offer for such views. Staff was extremely helpful and courteous.

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GSTServiceExecutive, お客様担当マネージャー at Grand Park Otaru, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at Grand Park Otaru.
We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

As you wrote, our hotel is located about 5 minutes drive away from the center of Otaru tourist area, however we offer a great view of Otaru marina and Ishikari harbor from the main dining area and guest rooms, which could not be enjoyed from other hotels in the center of the city.

We truly look forward to welcoming you again when you come back to Otaru next time.

Reviewed August 19, 2018

3D2N family trip

Location
The trip by train from Sapporo on a sunny day was one of a kind with the great sea view. Proximal to the OtaruChikko JR station. Very clear direction signs from the JR station to the hotel. Being part of the shopping mall means that there is no worry about shopping. You get both the "expensive" and "value-for-money" shopping. There is a big Daiso right at the second floor entrance of the hotel. While some may see it as "out of the way" from the main Otaur JR station. I may be wrong but I don't think it is like to get such a sea view with convenience shopping and close proximity to a JR station at the same price. There is nothing such as "benefits from all ends". It is only two train stations from Otaru JR station. We were able to dine near Otaru canal and took photos in day and night. There was train even at 10 plus pm from Otaru, which we took. From an app, we found the last train at 11 plus pm.

Check in
Still thinking about the sea view from the JR train trip, I asked what sort of view (if any) I had made at reservation. The answer was "mountain view". I enquire about sea view. With a reasonable cost, I was given the option to upgrade to sea view. Here, I would like to say a big "Thank you" to Ms. Ura, the lady who provided us with the most welcoming and hospitality service at check in. Also, I would like to express another big "Thank You" to Mr. Kim, for his professional and great recommendations on food and directions.

Environment
The entrance reflects the name of hotel: Grand.

Room
The room was big and the sea view was just "super" and "breath taking". We were given the bonus of fireworks on the first night. Now, don't ask me what was the occasion. The early sunrise gave us the a refreshing morning before we "made" the room completely dark to "recharge" for the new day. The room was clean and tidy. There was no "unpleasant" smell including such as that of cigarettes, as encounter by some others in previous review(s). The upgrade cost was simply value for money.

Breakfast
The breakfast was great, in terms of variety and taste. This is the first time i get to see ice-cream label as cold dish for breakfast. My only reasonable guess is the good quality of the diary products. And my family and I were more than happy to have ice cream, especially tasty and fresh, for breakfast.

Conclusion
The location, the decoration at entrance, the standard of room and the great sea view was just Grand (hardware). The professional, welcome and taking the extra step services provided at check in; the smile, greetings and through cleaning services by cleansing staff in daily in and out of room, the orderly, clear and enjoyable services at the breakfast added a new definition to Grand (software). Having just came from a stay in another Grand Park hotel in another country, Grand Park Otaru clearly show me (us) what it is means to be Grand. I recommend Grand Park Otaru to others, especially the sea view rooms. I would once again like to thank the Grand Park Otaru, especially Ms Ura and Mr Kim, for giving us such a memorable family trip.

Room Tip: the sea view room is just breath taking
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
GPOTConcierge, お客様担当マネージャー at Grand Park Otaru, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2018

Thank you very much for taking your time to give us such wonderful comments and recommendation.
We are very glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Your compliments are the encouragement that move our staffs to give our best.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again when you come back to Otaru next time.

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

Visited in Aug 2018 and stayed for just one night (thankfully). This was my most disappointing hotel stay in Hokkaido.

I was escorted from the car porch to the reception for check-in. Ms Suzuki attended to me. Everything was fine until I asked for 2 key cards for the hotel room, instead of 1 key card. Ms Suzuki said that it was the Hotel’s policy to give out only 1 key card per room. I had to bargain with her that I would be left in the room in total darkness should my husband be out of the room. She then reluctantly handed me the second key card.

We were then brought to our room at level 12. Upon entering the room, strong stench of cigarette/ smoking smell greeted us. Despite having requested for a non-smoking room when making the reservation, the Hotel was not able to accede to our request. Hotel then proceeded to freshen up the room (with UV machine?). The stench returned again in the middle of the night causing me a sore throat the next day.

Carpet flooring was stained which require some thorough shampooing. Bathroom was dated. This was evident from an instruction stuck on the wall to remind that shower and WC should not be used concurrently.

Bed was ok but the 2 pillows were so tiny. When put side by side, the pillows could barely fill half the width of a queen-size bed! We had to request for 2 additional pillows.

View looking towards the dock was nothing much really.

There was a queue forming at the restaurant entrance for breakfast. Staff did not clear the empty plates from tables while we were having breakfast at the table. Perhaps it’s the hotel’s way of preventing people from overeating? But... breakfast was barely passable.

I do not think the Hotel is doing anything to improve its hospitality despite the many reviews/ comments on Trip Advisor. An international hotel without bottled water or coffee stirrer???

I would never stay at Grand Park Otaru again unless it has gone through major refurbishment!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
GPOTConcierge, お客様担当マネージャー at Grand Park Otaru, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2018

Thank you very much for staying with us at Grand Park Otaru and thank you for your feedback.

We would first of all like to apologize for not being able to meet your expectations.
We will share your comments with the rest of the hotel team members for improvement.

We continue our effort to improve our service. We look forward welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

I came here with my family for two nights. Our room was on the 10th floor. The hallway smells like cigarettes very strongly. And unfortunately the room too! And I reserved a non- smoking room! My little boy is 15 months and I felt so bad for him during the stay at this hotel. The smell also made my throat very uncomfortable!! I tried to open the window to exchange the air but didn’t help because the cigarette smell is stick to the carpet, curtain, etc. I was really unhappy about the smell and this is not how a 3 or 4? Star hotel should be like!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynndingding
GPOTConcierge, お客様担当マネージャー at Grand Park Otaru, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2018

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Keeping it simple.
Pros-
• Central location.
• Friendly staff

Cons-
• Non-free parking (c'mon most people drives in Hokkaido)
• Does not provide bottled water
• Does not provide basic refreshments like coffee etc. Not even a stirrer stick

These are basics which 4-stars should not lack.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
GPOTConcierge, お客様担当マネージャー at Grand Park Otaru, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2018

Thank you very much for staying at Grand Park Otaru and thank you very much for your comments, all the feedback from guests is very important to us.