“so very sad and very disappointing”

Hakodate Tropical Botanical Garden
Ranked #53 of 191 things to do in Hakodate
Reviewed March 10, 2018

Just like a few reviews above, the monkeys have one pool to share. Some of them look like they have not been taken care of at all. There are a few that no fur left at all, and are forced to sit outside of the pool in -10 degrees celsius as there is no other option for them to go. It was advertised as free range. That is an outright lie, and i am so cross that animals in enclosures can even be treated in this manner. You dont have to believe me, i have uploaded photos to show. Please dont support this establishment.

1  Thank sapphirecat88

Reviewed February 21, 2018

I am sorry to give such a bad review of this place but I regretted not researching about this place before I came here. I was expecting happy plump monkeys in almost natural environment soaking in the onsen. I was so wrong!!

My family got really upset after seeing the monkeys, the other visitors were not impressed either. The enclosure condition is old, full of concrete. No effort to actually try to make it look more natural. But this I could forgive.

The heartbreaking part was the conditions of the monkeys!! Some of them are clearly very very sick and emaciated.They look like they are dying. You can also tell a few of them are being banished to a corner in the freezing winter and banned from entering the onsen. The weaker monkeys are very bald and skinny!! I was in tears.

I saw posters of the monkeys when they first arrived at the garden, and they looked healthy and hairy. I'm not an animal expert but you can obviously tell there is some sort of disease or ticks spreading amongst them...Just look at my photos.

I really wish there is something I can do to help these poor monkeys in any way. It's not right and I do not encourage you to go there to see such heart-wrenching sights. Some of the monkeys also learned to clapped their hands to ask for treats to be thrown at them. Very strange sight...

I cannot forget what I saw ever since the visit, and I feel terrible that I am not able to help them.

Reviewed February 5, 2018

Adorable monkeys playing and relaxing in the onsen...
Feed them with baits...
Throw the baits accurately enough and they will even attempt to catch them mid-air...
Nice place to being kids along

Reviewed January 25, 2018

Took a tram to Yunokawa station and walk ~15mins to the Tropical Botanical Garden.
Admission fee is 300/100 yen for adult and child respectively.

In all fairness, as I come from a tropical country, the botanical garden didn't excite me and is very small and not very well maintained. The only interesting highlights are the onsen monkeys. You can see the monkeys enjoying soaking in the onsen. You can also buy some monkey's feeds at 100yen.

There is also a foot bath in the compound where you can enjoy soaking your feet in the hot water.