“Neither terrible nor impressive.”

Kikuyo Shokudo Honten
Reserve a Table
Ranked #32 of 2,175 Restaurants in Hakodate
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

The taste of the seafood was just average, and we felt the layer of seafood in the sanshoku kaisen don (1800 Yen) was a little thin. I will say though that their cooked and salted salmon isn’t too shabby. (Sanshoku kaisen don is one where you can pick three types of seafood. In my case, I picked crab, Uni and scallop.)

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed September 15, 2017

The restaurant is located near the JR station and the bus/tram stop. Tourists can easily find the restaurant. Food quality here is good. I did enjoy the meal here.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed August 9, 2017

Went here on first opening in the morning for breakfast. Was not too busy and were promptly seated. The menu is extensive and includes various seafood kaisendon as well as grilled fish. We ordered the scallop, ikura, uni don, crab, salmon and ikura don, and grilled cod. The food came quickly and was satisfying. There are many places in the market serving all kinds of seafood, so it is hard to say which one is best. Our experience at this restaurant was pleasant enough.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed June 11, 2017

was rated quite high in tabelog but don't expect too much here. good point is there many to choose from but freshness of seafood isn't up to fish market standard, I think they can do a better job. uni is not fresh and scallop dry out. don't take it your first choice.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed July 10, 2016

We were disappointed with this restaurant, which came highly recommended by staff at our hotel. Its huge menu, which included English descriptions, made me apprehensive, because I wondered how all the items could possibly be prepared well. And, unfortunately, it turned out that we had an uneven meal. My grilled salmon arrived a bit dry and the baked potato was kind of mealy. My husband ordered scallops and only received one, but it was large and good. The sauteed eggplant had a nice consistency and flavor but we disliked the taste of the green and red seaweed salad. We considered our dinner to be a hit-or-miss experience.

That said, this restaurant proved to be an extremely popular place. The huge room had customers at all its myriad tables when we entered around 7:45 p.m. on a Sunday and we got the last two seats at the dining bar. Based on the languages I heard, I think the restaurant gets a large tourist clientele. Servers scurried throughout the place, taking orders and delivering food quickly. But ours remained attentive to our needs. For example, a server saw me struggling with my chopsticks on the baked potato and offered me a knife and fork.

This ultra-casual restaurant stands near La Vista Hotel in the Hakodate Bay Bishoku Club complex. I think those who arrive armed with specific recommendations for menu selections may have a better-than-average meal.

Date of visit: June 2016