“Perfect location for Hakodate”

Hakodate Danshaku Club
Ranked #4 of 96 Hotels / Ryokan in Hakodate
Bangkok, Thailand
“Perfect location for Hakodate”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stay for a night during our Summer Hokkaido trip

Danshaku is apartment style hotel, so the room size is very huge by Japanese standard. It also has kitchen, balcony, automatic control bath tub, and most importantly, the view of Mount Hakodate. However, the best adventage is location. It is just short walk in between train station and the red brick warehouse. The fantastic morning market is just around the corner. Wifi is free, and parking is just 500 yen.

Although the price is more expensive than nearby hotel, but with the size and location, it worth paying a bit more. The only down side is the staffs speak very limited English.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kengkla
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Kengkla,

It ‘s perfect to come to Hakodate in summer, I hope that you had a wonderful time.
Thank you again for choosing Hakodate Danshaku-Club and Resorts, and hope to see you soon,

Hotel & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was a first timer to Hakodate and Hokkaido, and we were glad that we chose Danshaku. I had done an extensive research on hotels. I understand most in Tripadvisor recommended the Yunogawa Onsen Hotel, which we did not choose because it was in the middle of nowhere. Then I know most other recommeded Vista, which I think is nice but they are at the brick warehouse area, which is a tourist area but not central. The Danshaku was very conveniently located, between the JR Station and the Brick Warehouse area. Those two are different ends of the 1km pedestrain walking line and Danshaku is right in the middle. The hotel is also right next to the Morning Market which we had seafood for breakfast every single morning. The room is super spacious by Japanese standard. It is actually a service apartment, we had two single beds, a living room, a balcony with table and armchairs, bathroom with a Japanese style tub, and a kitchenette (toilet and bathroom are located separately though). Our room had the view of the mountains, which was excellent. Since it is essentially a service apartment, there is a limited hours breakfast cafe, but I never see people eating there anyway. I believe they have 1-2 staff speaks English well. I had to communicate with others with my very broken Japanese. Given a choice, I found that staying free and easy at the Danshaku beat a traditional hot spring hotel. I was satisfied with the hotel, even when they don't offer us a late checkout (checkout time is 11am and they would charge you hourly if you want to extend). Perhaps that is part of the Japanese culture learning experience.

Room Tip: Most rooms are facing the same side so no need to choose one in particular, but the higher floors ar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mctdog,

I hope that you had a wonderful time at the morning market. We also serve a plate for breakfast with fresh local vegetables, fruits, eggs, milk, sausages, and it is very popular. It’s always pleasant to start the day with a fresh breakfast made from local ingredients.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 26, 2013

i was on a short trip(5 nights) to Hokkaido with friends, so we could only stay a night (Jun 18) at Hakodate. And it was the best night of the trip! Our group booked two twin rooms, and we were pleasantly surprised that the rooms was more like a serviced apartments, each with its own well equipped kitchenette, balcony, separate bedroom and bathroom and living room. And this was for a very competitive price.
The rooms were clean, modern and very comfortable. The electronic bathtub control was also a nice touch.
Added to that a decent view of Mt Hakodate and the sea, and the close proximity to the Hakodate morning market (it is a must visit spot in the early morning) and this hotel was just perfect.

I would also like to commend the hotel staff for their excellent service. Reception at front desk was superb, polite, and efficient, yet warm. I left behind my T-shirt when I checked out, and wrote an email the next day to ask them for assistance. The staff responded promptly and sent my T-shirt via express mail to Sapporo where I was staying for the next two days; I am happy I got my T-shirt back the next day.

I will definitely stay with Hakodate Danshaku Club the next time I visit Hakodate, and recommend my friends to stay with them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Nic-STY

We are very happy that you received your T-shirts while you were in Sapporo. Hakodate is one of the popular places to visit for Japanese people and even people from other countries, and it is the best season to come now.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My friends and I stayed in the hotel for one night, and one word for this hotel is "Ichiban". From the time I entered the hotel to checking out, the experience is awesome. First, the room is very spacious.

It has a small kitchenette with a cooker, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, cutleries and dish washing stuff.

The toilet is awesome, I am very particular about toilet, and this toilet simply exceeded my expectation. Not only is it spacious, it has everything you need, from toothbrush to shampoo, conditioner, body soap, cotton buds, shavers and even bath salts.

Their bathroom has a bath tub which you can convert it into your mini onsen! How coold is that!

It is located next to the morning Hakodate market and walking over in the morning is a breeze.

My room faced the mountain view, when the sky is clear, I can even see Mount Hakodate!

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Carpark are chargeable! But it is just next to the hotel, super convenient
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Dgoh359,

I would like to say thank you for staying with us at the Hakodoate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts. We hope that your stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were acceptable to you.

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that. Personally, I like to hear “Ichiban”. That is great compliment.

Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of a two week trip in Japan. Choice the property mainly based on Trip Advisor reviews and it was a good choice for us.

Location is good - 3 blocks from the train station and a relatively easy walk overall to the tourist area (i.e Brick Warehouse, churches, etc.).

No problem checking in with our deficit of Japanese - one woman at the front desk had previously listed in the US and had essentially fluent English. She was extremely helpful to us and made dinner reservations one night.

Rooms are fine. We had a fairly large room with two beds, small kitchen, sitting area, bathroom, balcony. Some reviews described the rooms as great. I wouldn't quite go that far. They are clean but fairly basic and realize that your view is really more of a parking lot versus the waterfront. That being said, we found the place very comfortable and the sitting room worked fine to share some wine prior to heading to dinner one night.

In terms of breakfast, we did the western breakfast the first day and the 2nd day took one of their breakfast coupons that you can use for 6 or so places in the fish market that is very close to hotel. Western breakfast was very nice and perhaps because we had great Japanese breakfasts for 3 days at a ryokan we had stayed in prior to arriving in Hakodate, we didn't really like the breakfast in the fish market the 2nd morning. While they give you a map, it's still pretty hard to find if you can't speak/read Japanese. The market itself felt less like the Tokyo fishmarket and more like Thailand - i.e folks fairly aggressive in trying to sell to you.

All in all we would recommend the hotel to others in Hakodate. Finally, we liked Hakodate quite a bit - sort of a wild card at the end of our trip but there it is a nice different sort of city to visit in Japan and glad we made it part of our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear rogerslb,

I would like to say thank you for staying with us at the Hakdoate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts. We hope that your stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were acceptable to you. In terms of breakfast, we are going to make a map in English to find a restaurant easily. I understand how you feel when you travel in a foreign country. We definitely should have it. Thank you again for choosing Hakodate Danshaku-Club and Resorts, and we hope to see you soon.

TAIWAN
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights, Great location , next to the JR station and the morning market. Best of all, beside the 70 square room, a kitchen included. After a days trip, we cook some dinner and sea food bought in the morning.If I had chance to visit Hakodate, here will be my first choice.

Room Tip: 1.Choose the 70 square room, if more than 3 people. 2.Go to supermarket located in the B1 of MUJI,o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank DDS.LO
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear DDS.LO,

Thank you for your recent stay at Hakodate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts. We hope that your stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were acceptable to you. That was a great idea to cook some dinner in the kitchen in your room. I hope that you enjoyed it so much. Again, thank you for choosing Hakodate Danshaku-Club and Resorts, and we hope to see you again soon.

With kind regards,

Hotel & Resorts.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We didn't really know what to expect and loved what we found. The hotel is in an excellent location next to the fish market. The staff was helpful and in particular one woman spoke an excellent English. Breakfast was great - we did not eat in the hotel, but were given vouchers for a choice of six restaurants in the market. Fantastic! The room was comfortable and clean and we enjoyed having the spa tub (although it took us a couple of tries to make it work right). The room also had a kitchenette, which would be great for a longer stay. Free parking also.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
函館男爵倶楽部, 広報担当 at Hakodate Danshaku Club, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Emiana, I would like to say thank you for staying with us at the Hakdoate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts. We hope you enjoyed your stay and that hotel property and staff exceeded your expectations. Also, I hope that you enjoyed driving in Hokkaido. Shiretoko is one of my favorite places to visit and I am sure that you had a wonderful time there. In Hakodate, it is getting warmer and warmer and the cherry blossom season has come soon.Thank you again for choosing Hakodate Danshaku-Club and Resorts, and we hope to see you again soon! Sincerely, Tomomi Koyama Hakodate Danshaku-Club Hotel & Resorts