Hinanoza
$285
$280
$119
  • Restaurant
Kushiro Prince Hotel(Kushiro)(Great Value!)
$230
$69
$260
$222
Agoda.com
Comfort Hotel Kushiro(Kushiro)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
$102
$55
  • Restaurant
Hotel Rasso Kushiro by WBF(Kushiro)(Great Value!)
$57
$47
  • Restaurant
Kushiro Century Castle Hotel(Kushiro)(Great Value!)
$130
$125
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmassage chaironsen bathbeefsound systembeautiful ryokanreception areajapanese experiencehigh endlake akansashimionsen streetthe hotel staffjapanese hotelshokkaido tripricetop floorlake view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I love Japanese cuisine and I came across Hinanoza as I was researching a trip to Hokkaido. It was a hike to get to from Kushiro airport but well worth the stay. We spent 2 nights in July and I would go back in a heart beat. We flew in from Osaka airport to Kushiro and took the public bus to lake arkan. The hotel is 3 mins walk from the bus stop. Upon arrival, we were led to the guest registration area that overlooks the lake and we knew the trip would be magical. I was provided with Yakuta and i proceeded to wear that for the rest of the trip. The room was very spacious and i love the semi outdoor shower and hottub. The top floor hot spring room has unobtrusive view of the lake and even provides fresh milk and lake water for drinking. The dinner is the biggest feast and covers all the food we love from Japan, including local sourced beef, sashimi, shabu shabu, grilled fish. It was one of the best kaiseki we have had and we ordered a huge bottle of sake at a very reasonable price. The 2nd day, we took a small boat to tour around the lake followed by lunch at the sister hotel. The buffet food was sub par and the hot spring room there is pretty dirty and dingy compared to hinanoza. My husband was asking me how we booked one versus the other and the comparison made it clear that Hinanoza was well worth the extra money. The breakfast in the morning was a big feast as well with at least 5 courses and our waitress was very delightful and well mannered. I wish we have access to other activities as we got slightly bored after 2 nights. However, in terms of food and hospitality, this place is second to none and is a great beginning to our Hokkaido trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlmaLee
Reviewed April 25, 2013

At approximately £500 per night for a very large suite, complete with private onsen and kaiseki dinner and breakfast, one expects perfection. And one gets it, so long as one's definition of perfection is ever so slightly flexible. Lets face it, the design, decor, food, ambiance, attention to detail and wait staff member personally assigned to you, are all perfect. The service is impeccable. The large, lake view rooms are astonishing, beautiful, quiet and all around excellent. We loved the private onsen and never made it to the two public onsen on the upper floors. The food is just superb. They even bring little cakes at 5pm to your room. Nice. The imperfection: basically no wifi, despite being given the password (but no problem so long as one has laptop because one can plug into the net) and no laundry service. These two imperfections are no big deal, but are surprising at this level. Our assigned staff member (who was extremely thoughtful in presentig us with hand made cards detailing the types of fish we had, sake we drank, etc... never get that level of service in London!!) spoke a very very decent English as did the concierge and the maitre d' (who personally came up to our room to discuss our dietary restrictions so that he made sure he understood what the concierge had relayed to him - that's impressive). It wasn't perfect English and there were some lost in translation moments. It surprised me, but I guess the Tsuruga group does well enough from its Japanese clientele that it doesn't need the international set. Odd at those prices, but there you go. However, we were not made to feel uncomfortBle in any way not speaking Japanese and everything was done so that we could understand and be understood). come to think of it, even the parking lot chap spoke sufficient English. Akan-ko is small, but really one doesn't go to this hotel to be wandering around town at night. For the daytime, there are wonderful natural sights to be seen and experienced nearby. With respect to reserving, the Japanese site isn't great. I emailed the company directly (from the address on the site) and simply made the reservation through the person who replied to me. I did nothing more than give him my dates, name and credit card number. I then received a confirmation document. Simple. For non-Japanese (because we might not know this, while the Japanese do), please note that a 'gift' (read tip) to your assigned wait staff person is greatly appreciated (yen 5,000 if staying three nights) and should be given at the end of dinner on the final night. The carvings at the Hinanoza and the Tsuruga Wings nearby are done by the master carver Mr. Takeki Fujito. He has a shop and museum in the Ainu part of the village. Check it out. Amazing stuff.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank emiana
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We chose room 407 because of the Movie"You are the one "was shooting in this room. We also stayed in Room 601 which has better view. It has Open Hot spring Spa in each room. The food there is perfect, we had extra beef for free. lucky! Thoughtful service. a nice experience. But Akan is a very small place, you would't stay for more than two nights in a roll.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Yunruo
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I and my wife stay in this hotel for 2 nights on 27 & 28 Dec. The pros and cons of this hotel are as follow:

Pros:
1) excellent services, especially the reception and restaurant staff
2) the room is spacious with it's own private onsen and balcony. However, the private onsen is quite small for 2 persons
3) great facilities in the room with Bose music system, massage chair, Krug coffee maker, unlimited free drinks (coke and green tea)
4) great variety of Japanese food. I personally love the sushi, as they were very fresh.
5) great view of the Akan lake in the room and onsen in 7/F

Cons:
1) most of the staffs do not speak English, even the staffs in reception. Know some simple Japanese is a must.
2) the toilet of my room is smelly when I first enter the room
3) only four public onsens in the hotel. However, due to the small size of this hotel (<30 rooms), I don't think a large onsen similar to New Akan Hotel, can be built.
4) poor free wifi service. The wifi network is not working properly.
5) all food are in Japanese style. If you like Japanese food, go for it.
6) very expensive, ~50,000 yen per night. However, great value for it's service and privacy.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank Lo_Sherman
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed in room 407, 601 and 401. Room is very good. Food is good but not the top. Amanoza room is larger than Uminoza room but I think the layout and space of Uminoza room is better than Amanoza room. The view from Uminoza room is better than Amanoza room becuase there is a building near Amanoza room which obstruct the view. Room 407 is the best and cheaper. Service is excellent especially concierge(Ms.Ogawa). She speak good english and willing to help everything. There is free shuttle bus between hotel and Kushiro. I impress this hotel but I am very disappoint about booking with Rakuten Travel.

I have used many agents for hotel reservation such as Agoda, Booking.com, JAPANiCAN etc. All of these agents always offer cheaper price or sometime hotel list price. I made reservation with Rakuten Travel for Akan Tsuruga Bessou Hinanoza hotel in Hokkaido on 23-29 December 2011.

I stayed two nights in Uminoza room. I stayed four nights at Amanoza room.

Hotel list price for Uminoza room is 69,300 Yen for two persons per night but Rakuten Travel sold 79,980Yen. Rakuten Travel sold 10,380 Yen higher than hotel price list to me for 2 night.

Hotel list price for Amanoza room is 77,700 Yen for two persons per night but Rakuten Travel sold 94,500 Yen. Rakuten Travel sold 67,200 Yen higher than hotel price list to me for 4 night.

I could save 77,880 Yen(around USD1,000) if I make booking direct to the hotel.

Hotel price list http://www.tsuruga-g.com/price/price_hinanoza.html

Rakuten Travel price http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/en_jyouhou_page.main?f_no=37362&f_teikei=&f_flg=PLAN&f_kin=0&f_kin2=&f_heya_su=1&f_kaiin_no=&f_kaiin_tel=&f_hak=&f_tel=&f_nen1=&f_tuki1=&f_hi1=&f_nen2=&f_tuki2=&f_hi2=&f_target_flg=&f_tscm_flg=&f_p_no=&f_custom_code=&f_search_type=&f_camp_id=489310&f_syu=amanoza&f_hizuke=20120104&f_otona_su=2

I knew the hotel list price when I stayed at the hotel so I am very disappoint with Rakuten Travel. I do not expect to get the lowest price from Rakuten Travel but the price from famous agent like Rakuten Travel should be FAIR and RIGHTEOUS. So everyone should be careful to check the price before make booking with Rakuten Travel. It was my mistake to trust and believe their reputation and honor. I have written email about the price to Rakuten Travel but they said they cannot do anything and they still sell that price.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple