“Dream bathroom for the vertically challenged”

Dormy Inn Express Matsue
Ranked #1 of 64 Hotels / Ryokan in Matsue
Grenoble, France
“Dream bathroom for the vertically challenged”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Excellent little hotel, spotlessly clean and new. Well placed close to the station- less than 5 minutes walk. I stayed for 5 days in summer, when it was mainly occupied with families with young children. Evening free noodles were popular (and good) and the breakfast very good. Overall excellent value for money
with the usual amenities of such a hotel (but no common bath, as have many Dormy Inns).
The title refers to the bathroom which is packed full of gadgets: a portable planetarium, rubber duck and a little television you can watch in the bath, but this last is really small (even by Japanese business hotel standards): as a normal size adult I could only fit about half my body underwater in at once. But it was a lot of fun!

Room Tip: My room was very confortable and quiet, but with no view ( it looked out on the wall of the buildin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Georgia, USA
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Going on the assumption that any "business hotel" in Japan will have small rooms and basic furnishings, this Dormy Inn Express fits the description. With that in mind, we found it to be an outstanding value.

The rooms are modern with most amenities a traveler would require today. The Japanese-style room baths are especially nice and up to date.

Service was good, and our stay did include a basic Japanese breakfast. We had a car, and parking, though a bit of a squeeze, was close by at the rear of the hotel. For rail travelers, it is only a short walk to JR Matsue Station, very convenient. Also within walking distance are restaurants and other entertainment, yet the hotel was quiet. We were quite pleased having chosen this Dormy Inn for our Friday night stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was the first time I stayed at a Dormy Inn and I will definately be looking out for them in other cities of Japan on my next visit.
I arrived at the Matsue JR station and walked to the hotel. I had problems with my GPS and so had to navigate by memory, but the Inn is so close to the station that you only make a left after exiting the station building and walk about 200m down the road. It is very clearly signposted and even if you are over the canal near the castle you can spot the sign, which makes it easy to find your way back.
I was very pleasantly surpised to see how modern the Inn was. There is free WIFI in the reception area with plently of seats to sit at and multi-charges should you need to charge your device. Breakfast is also to the right of the reception area and its really a great breakfast, Japanese style of course but some of the best Soba noodles and tempura I have had. The rooms are small, but thi is the norm in Japan as anyone would know. However there is a double door inside the room so the passagways are much quieter.... no TV or music noise emanating from the rooms. The bathroom is compact but has all you have need of including gels, shampoo etc and there is even a flat screen TV should you wish to watch something while in the shower/bath. Theres also some Milky Way projection gadget which you can use in the bathroom, but I did not use that. They have VOD with a good selection of movies at a reasonable price I guess. The room also has an aircon and even a docking station for your mac device. There is a LAN cable if you have a PC. The room I stayed in had not view, unless you call looking at the next building a meter or two away a good view! However that was not important to me.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a basket of oranges next to the elevator should you want to have one, and as anyone would know, fruit is very expensive in Japan so I did help myself to one! They also have complimentary toothbrushes, hair brushes and more at the elevators should you have forgotten yours.
The location is very central to the station and it is only a couple minutes walk to the main tourist attractions (the samurai castle and district). Its also in a very quiet area and I heard no road or other noise at night.
I would highly recommend the Dormy Inn Express in Matsue if you find yourself in the area. (Its a good starting point to visit the Adachi Museum, which is why I was there).

Room Tip: I did not choose a room. I booked through booking.com and got a really good price. Perhaps you can c...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Terry E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

If like us you expect every Japanese hotel to have all the possible electrical gadgetry a guest might need then this exceeds that expectation. We recharged our phones, played our pods, warmed our rears, watched TV in the shower...played with the planetarium, used the bath level alarm.
Oh yes. We spent a couple of nights here, it's surprising we left the building.
Location wise it suited us perfectly as we wanted to arrive late but be near the main sights.
Also they offered free noodles after eleven (?) Which we saw people eating but we didn't try, so can't vouch for. This was very Japanese business but absolutely spot on.

• Stayed April 2013