“Interesting interior.”
Review of Matsue Castle

Matsue Castle
Ranked #1 of 118 things to do in Matsue
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Even if you have only half a day, as we did, use a 500 yen pass for the sightseeing on/off bus. we got off at Matsue Castle and spent about 1 hour there. Walk up hill from the bus stop is fairly easy. We spent about 1 hour there.

There are newer reviews for Matsue Castle

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Having travelled to Japan four times, I thoroughly understand how one can become "castled out" or "shrined out". Frankly, I still believe that a visit to Himeji Castle in Hyogo prefecture is the one thing you must do if you wish to see a beautiful castle; I was fortunate enough to visit Himeji six years ago before the current renovations began. Still, when I toured Matsue Castle, I was very, very pleasantly surprised. The castle is smaller than Himeji and is much more user friendly. There was a wonderful display of samurai armour, samurai weapons, etc., and (even if I have seen many of such displays previously), I really found it interesting. When you get to the very top (donjon), you are standing in an open air donjon. I had a blast taking "panorama" photos from all four sides. There are basically two types of travelers: those who love to tour a castle and those who could care less. If you love to tour castles, I highly recommend this castle. If you could care less but are being coerced into visiting one, you can still have a grand time in this place. I don't know if I'll ever be in Matsue again (it is a lovely city, by the way!!!!), but if I do return, I would actually visit Matsue Castle again.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

The visit in Matsue castle gives you a good insight into the Japanese history. Also here you are supposed to take your shoes off :)

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Castle well preserved and contains a small but very nice museum with suits of armor and other historical artefacts.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The 2 previous comments says it all. Within walking distance of the station although you can take the circular (red) bus for 200 yen and get dropped just in front of the castle. The exhibition inside is excellent with a lot of original artefacts. If you are in this part of the world and want to see an original castle, this is the one.