Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 06/29/21
Booking.com$311
Travelocity$246
Priceline$396
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 8, 2010

We stayed there the 31st of December. We arrived from Takayama and even if we sent an e-mail to say we would have arrived at 7 p.m we received a very cold welcoming.
The room was great (warm and nice) but dinner was horribile.It was served in another empty room,very cold and everything was really fast.We had to hurry up because they had to finish early because it was the last day of the year!! breakfast was even worse.: we received a phone call a 7.30 a.m (the day before they asked us at what time we wanted breakfast and we answered 8 a.m) telling us to hurry up to go and have breakfast.the room where it was served we were freezing.

Date of stay: December 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank FraFraVenezia
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Located in a small town of Kurashiki in the Bikan district. Many museums and shops around. Pleasant place to walk around. Meals in the ryokan were excellent.

Date of stay: March 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2008

We stayed in one of the more inexpensive rooms which had no bath but did have a toilet and sink. I believe our total was about 30,000 yen. The room was extremely clean but a bit worn. Small, but manageable, not a closet..
The meals were lovely, the rate included dinner and breakfast. Didn't have anything too exotic, but I'm sure the menu changes so you'd never know what you're going to get.
The only gripe I have was the bath situation. I went down to take a bath and found the ladies bath to be locked (unusual as baths are communal and never private). I mentioned this to management and they told me to use the men's bathroom as my own private bath. Fine, but the situation kind of made me uneasy nevertheless. The bathroom was tiny. 3 to 4 stools for a bathroom that was really big enough for one grown person. I had a peek at the ladies bath afterwards and found that it was slightly bigger but was also small. So I was slightly peeved that I had to use the men's bathroom but later glad because I couldn't imagine sharing such a tiny space with another woman.
For what you get, I would say it was right on the money. Terrific location, can't be beat. Food was great. The futons were fine. Bath was small, but whatever, it was for one night.
The location was wonderful, right in the heart of the Bikan district. Kurashiki is a (very) small charming town. I would say that for a first time Japan visitor, it should be skipped, as it's more of a small and cute place to do a girlfriends' holiday or a romantic couple's getaway. We were done with the place in a few hours and left wondering "is this it?". I chose to stay here because it seemed to be a good way to break up a trip to Hiroshima from Kyoto. I wouldn't say I regretted a stay here, but I think I would have done things differently knowing what I know now.

Date of stay: September 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Mikan
Reviewed April 15, 2008

Staying here is a fantastixcexperience - the building is in a superb location, right on the canal side, and is extremely attractive both inside & out. The staff are incredibly helpfull and it's a real treat to be greeted with the full old-world Japanese hospitality.

Whilst it is in no way a detraction it's worth mentioning the food which isn't for the faint-hearted (or those who don't like fish)....what you get is really high quality Japanese food and that can be pretty exotic stuff! (Octopus head & whole baby squids).

Date of stay: April 2008
1  Thank mdstephenson
Reviewed March 31, 2005

Very centrally located in the Bikan historic district, which is chock full of galleries, crafts & gift shops, resturants & museums; everything is within easy walking distance. The wonderfully old inn fits right in with its' neighbors, and it's interior is beautifully furnished in traditional Japanese style. The meals, dinners & breakfasts, were excellent "kaiseki" style feasts, so ample that we didn't really feel the need to eat elsewhere (except to sample some of the great Japanese snacks on sale throughout town). Our room was a tad small, but very clean, quiet and had a large private Japanese-style bath. The staff were very friendly & helpful, although we never tested their english language abilities as my wife & I are both fluent in japanese. For a truly authentic way to experience traditional Kurashiki this is hard to beat!

Date of stay: March 2005