“Ropeway (cable car)”

Nihondaira Ropeway
Ranked #5 of 227 things to do in Shizuoka
Type: Other
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We paid 1000 yen for the ropeway to view Mt Fuji but could not view it. Entrance to shrine and museum need additional entrance fee. So we did not enter. We were happy that a staff at the counter can speak excellent English. That make our day.

2  Thank DorothyCheong

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I think it was bus number 42 at the Shizuoka station. There is a help shack at the station that will give you a map and point you to the right bus. They speak enough English if you do not speak Japanese. A short 30 minute ride and you are at Nihon Daira Ropeway. I cannot recall the cost, but for a few yen you can take the ropeway to a Shrine. The Shrine is nice and costs money. We passed on visiting the shrine for budget purposes. There is a great souvenir shop, ice cream and some food vendors outside. Watch the time so you do not miss the last bus back. The ropeway provides a great view.

I think they had one of those areas where you can purchase a padlock, write your name on it and lock it to one of the handrails at the top of the ropeway. Fun for some, but we passed on that.

Don't feed the cats unless you have no friends in life and need love. An army of feral cats will follow you around if you do.

I believe there is also a zoo on the same bus line between Shizuoka and the ropeway. We did not go to the zoo as I am from San Diego and every zoo in the world looks like an animal prison after San Diego's zoo. But it is there if you want it.

Be brave, take the ropeway to the shrine and walk down to the beach (about 1000 stairs). But, it is fun and provides a great view. At the bottom of the stairs you can catch a bus back to Shizuoka station. But first, go mess around on the beach. You can get a bus map and schedule from the ropeway ticket office, but it is not rocket science. To really see Japan, start walking to the right towards Shizuoka. If you get tired of that, there are bus stations every 1/2 mile or so. Start up a conversation with a local kid and see what people really live like. Now THAT is visiting Japan.

7  Thank jimboblaze
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Visited today and found a lack of reliable information for the non-Japanese speaker about getting there and what is actually there when you do get there. Hopefully this information will be useful for others.

The Nihondaira viewing area is at the top of a winding road up the mountain, and consists of several viewing areas from where you have spectacular views over Shizuoka and Mt. Fuji provided the sky is clear and not too hazy.

There's also a ropeway (cable car) from the main facility to Kunozan Toshogu Shrine. We took the ropeway (¥1000 per person for return ticket, ¥550 one way) thinking that was where we needed to go to see Fuji, but actually it isn't (it's still worthwhile taking however as the shrine is spectacular and worth the additional ¥500 admission once you get there). The 5 minute cable car ride is also enjoyable, although don't expect to understand anything the guide says for the entire ride if you don't speak Japanese!

To view mount Fuji simply walk in the opposite direction to the cable car station at Nihindaira up some steps and you'll see the viewing areas (and hopefully the mountain if it's clear).

From the shrine you have the option of taking the ropeway back to Nihondaira or going down some 1,150+ steps to Kunoyamashita from where you can take a bus back to Shizuoka.

Getting there and back was where we couldn't find any info before getting to Shizuoka station, so here's the info correct as of February 2014:

If you don't want to hike UP the thousand steps you need to take the number 42 bus from the north exit side of JR Shizuoka station (leaves from stand 11). It leaves at 8:19, 10:17, 13:27 & 15:19 on weekdays and 8:13, 9:29, 10:23, 11:23, 12:23, 13:23, 14:23 & 15:23 on weekends. The bus fare is ¥580 each way. If you miss it and don't want to hike a taxi is about ¥4500 (look for a hybrid engine taxi like a Prius as their fares are slightly lower - we paid ¥3850).

If you want the hike UP all the steps you can take bus number 12 or 14 from bus stand 22 on the south side of the station to Kunoyamashita. It leaves hourly at around 35 past the hour. Fare is ¥550.

To return from Nihindaira buses leave at 9:13, 11:13, 14:18 & 16:05 on weekdays and 9:24, 10:29, 11:29, 12:29, 13:29, 14:29, 15:29, 16:29 on weekends.

Returning from the bottom of the steps at Kunoyamashita buses leave hourly between 20 & 30 minutes past the hour.

If it's a clear day (and probably best to go weekdays when it's not any kind of Japanese holiday) this is a very worthwhile day trip or even half day trip. We actually took the shinkansen from Nagoya and back to do it and were back in Nagoya by 4pm. During cherry blossom season our taxi driver told us the area is even more beautiful so definitely another reason to go if you are luck enough to be in Japan then.

22  Thank Simon_Kn
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Took the ropeway to Nihondaira after visiting the Toshogu located at the top of Kunozan. It was a short 10-15 minute ride and the view from the cable car was great. A lady in the cable car was explaining about the view in Japanese which I could not understand. It was unfortunately cloudy when we reached Nihondaira and Mount Fuji could not be seen at all. There was nothing much left to do so while waiting for the bus back to Shizuoka station, we ate some noodles at the restaurant there. This should be combined with a visit to Kunozan Toshogu.

1  Thank kumamonk
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I went to Nihondaira which locates at the top of one mountain by Bus no. 42 from Shizuoka station. Then I took a cable car (rope way as it is called locally) down to Kunosan Toshogu Shrine. After walking around and taking pictures I went down 1159 steps on another side of the foothill. Punctuality of all Japanese is noticed easily. In addition to the trains, even public buses are always on time. This shrine is magnificent which I consider it as "must go in Shizuoka". While I was walking down the steps, I could see Pacific Ocean beach and hear the sound of crickets closely. Not many people climbed down with me. Perhaps they prefer round trip on rope way while I took just one way. On the bus back to Shizuoka station there were only 4 persons including myself. I will post the pictures in trip adviser later on. The cost of one way of rope way is 550 and shrine is 400. Thanks a lady at the tourist information. She gave me coupons. So I paid 10% less.

4  Thank Aroonwan5