Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Ito
from $21.70
More Info
from $42.46
More Info
All reviews admission fee definitely worth a visit extinct volcano animals pet cactus capybara mexico flamingos park coupon yen hill river kinds bus onsen
Selected filters
Reviewed May 6, 2017 via mobile

It's a little out of the way (unless you are going to Mount Omuro anyway) so perhaps go only if you are terribly bored with the coastal scenery in Izu. I find the admission of 2300 yen (weekend) a little pricey. There wasn't a huge variety of animals and some animals were in very small boxes - the nocturnal ones; they kept jumping around in the tiny box and looked a bit stressed :( I really liked the petting section though. I have been to a similar zoo in Kobe - actually I liked the Kobe one more there were more animals to pet...

I spent a little over two hours, strolling slowly and taking pictures here and there, but with very little breaks and I did not stop for food (not too many food places were open in late afternoon anyway?). Didn't see any shows either as the last one was like 15:00 (the Kobe one had more shows or at least feeding times I remember).

I think the most important thing is actually to check the bus schedule AND train schedule in advance as they aren't that frequent, and the park is in the middle of nowhere. When I was leaving late afternoon after I got off the bus at Izu Kogen Station I had to run to catch the train that goes to Ito (again infrequent).

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank KC930
Reviewed February 26, 2017

I am not usually a zoo person, but Shaboten Animal Park is different and fun. Yes this park is one of the pricier attractions. I arrived by bus from Izu-kogen station; there is a bus every hour or so, takes 10 minutes to arrive. Once you get off the bus, enter the souvenir shop and there is a shuttle bus that'll take you to the real entrance on top of the hill. (Make sure you factor in the wait time for the shuttle if you are leaving by bus.) Many of the animals here are not in cages and you really mingle with them. The little monkeys literally walked, jumped, fought with each other for food in front of my shoes. You can purchase food to feed them but it's not required. Capybaras are really cute. The birds roamed freely and I walked right next to peacocks and flamingos.
There were also big greenhouse of cactus, and there's a spot in the park where you can see Mt. Fuji if weather's good. I spent a good two hours here and I could stay longer if time permitted.

Date of experience: November 2016
1  Thank 554mikeas
Reviewed February 2, 2017 via mobile

Many interesting animals that you don't usually see in the zoo. You can also pat them, it's so therapeutic and soothing. Fresh grass and snack are available for feeding. I also love their greenhouse with variety of desert plants, giant cactus that is 100 years old! So beautiful! It's great for everyone! I really enjoy it!

Reviewed January 16, 2017

You pay 500JPY for parking. You pay 2300JPY for a ticket. You pay 200 to 300JPY each time you feel like feeding animals - each gage has a different kind of food prepared. 500 to 700 JPY for riding a boat (to see different types of animals placed on the small islands), I'm sure you will end up paying 200JPY at each island. The restaurants there were not impressive. Phew.

1  Thank mgcwnd
Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

When we first enter the zoo, my wife and I was so disappointed, the zoo is very small and both of us thought we can finish it within 30mins. However once we start exploring the place, we found that you can actually feed, touch and hold many kinds of animals here which is totally out of our expectation!! Had a very good time here and you should bring you kids to this zoo and I guarantee they will love it.

The zoo is a bit remote, I have rent a car during my trip so I just drove here with no problem, for people who come here by public transportation, better make sure you know how to get here.