All reviews japanese garden high tech sushi japanese ryokan dining area train station pond kimono amenities tokyo baths dinner
Selected filters
Reviewed June 30, 2018

Lovely breakfast and dinner. This ryokan is more friendly to non-Japanese speakers than most I have visited. It clearly has some history as with most other ryokans but this one is very well maintained and the interior of dining area, straw mats and walls of my room, the washroom of my room looked like new. Car pick up available at train station.

Room tip: The in-room bath is a bit run down and I did not have much time to try it since there were more than enough public baths in the ryokan.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Wonderful Ryokan where everything is made so you can just relax and relax. The staff is super helpful, many of them speak some English and even Spanish and will make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Attention is paid to every single detail so you don't worry about anything.
Public and private open air onsen. Spacious rooms. Peaceful and beautiful garden.
Kaiseki dinner with delicious food. On the top of it my wife is gluten intolerant and they have adapted the dinner and breakfast accordingly.
Very special thanks to Saori for her availability, great sense of service and permanent smile: you have made our stay very special.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2017

I started staying Taikanso ten years ago; I visit here perhaps once a year since then. Relaxing spa, exquisitely beautiful Japanese room, ocean view, kaiseki, and sushi: everything is perfect here. This is my wife's favorite, her mother's favorite and of course, my favorite place.

If you are a devoted Japanese food fan, I recommend Hanafubuki where you can eat sushi with local ingredients so delicately prepared by the chef. He is a pleasant guy who always tries to make us relaxed and have a wonderful time. Table reservation strongly recommended.

Do not forget a walk in the garden. It is beautiful.

Room tip: My favorite room is Fuji.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2016

We wanted to give my son's family an onsen experience. We were seven people in total and has scheduled an onsen in Ito but a typhoon hit Ito directly so we cancelled and returned to Taikanso, a second stay. We had two rooms, both with great views of the sea and a great dinner in a large private dining hall. This is far better than having the traditional style of meals served in your room, which we find rather mechanical and not tasty.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a view of the sea
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2016 via mobile

I travel to Japan for business, but had the opportunity to stay here as part of an offsite meeting series. Typically, we stay in Tokyo and conduct our meetings there.

Taikanso is a truly Japanese experience with traditional rooms, food, and onsen. Set in the hilly town of Atami this hotel fits right in.

Rooms are simple and large, but offer a few cool amenities like a massage chair and access to gardens. There are several onsen, including foot baths, spas, and other treatment options.

Staff are wonderful, very attentive and eager to assist. English is not widely spoken, but some can manage enough to help with most anything.

The hotel is set atop a large hill, take a taxi from the station or walk for a serious workout. The surrounding hills are host to many shops and restaurants.

If in the area and looking for traditional digs housing amazing onsen hot springs - this is your spot.

Date of stay: October 2016