See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 11, 2017 via mobile

Because Onsen water quality is so good , I didn't need to put any lotion on my face after bath . My skin was super moisturized after took bath . Inroom bath also the same water .

客室内バスタブも温泉も同じ湯質でした。湯上りのお肌はしっとりで化粧水などは全く必要ありませんでした。

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2017

I was a bit worried about the price, but the Japanese-language reviews were good, and my wife and I wanted to treat our daughter and son-in-law to a top-shelf onsen ryokan and kaiseki dinner experience, so we chose Furuya Ryokan. We were not disappointed. In fact, everything was better than we dared hope for. From the minute we walked through the main gate and were greeted by name by three different employees, until the minute we were escorted out and thanked profusely for our business, the amenities and service were exceptional. Huge indoor and outdoor mineral onsen baths, incredible 8-course dinner served in our room, private open-air onsen bath in our room, and an amazing Japanese-style breakfast to complete our stay. We had a larger suite with private onsen bath, and the room itself was incredible. And the service was simply amazing from start to finish. At around $850 for the four of us for one night, we felt like it was worth every penny. My wife is Japanese, and commented that she has never experienced a meal like the one they served us. We were very happy that we elected to spend a bit more on the nicer room and the extravagant dinner.
Thank you Furuya Ryokan for a fantastic experience; my wife and I will definitely be coming back again.

Room tip: Go for the suite with private open-air onsen bath. Definitely worth it.
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Tad L
Reviewed July 17, 2016 via mobile

So my parents wanted to add a one night onsen stay during our Tokyo trip, something with short travel time...so I found Atami is 50 min bullet train ride and the hotel is a 5 min taxi ride, perfect. Let's try Furuya Ryokan, a 200+ year old establishment.

My theory is if it can last this long there must be a reason.

We booked the 23,900 Yen per person package for 3 people but my mom needs a bed instead of tatami and they did arrange one bed while the other two slept on the tatami.

The room is very very small and the TV is an antique (you've got to be kidding)...

The good thing is the 2 meals were good and so are the onsen, 2 each for men and women, one inside and one outside.

The one modern thing is free wifi throughout the hotel.

I would not say this is good value because at this price the room should be much more comfortable and spacious and modern electrical equipment should be provided.

Overall I would say we would not be returning to this establishment but will shop for another onsen hotel instead.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank blank878
Reviewed September 19, 2015 via mobile

We decided to stop in Atami on our way from tokyo to kyoto. The weather was bad, raining. However I dont think that even on a nice day, Sunny the city can offer any attraction. The sea view front is totally blocked by ugly buildings.
About the Ryokan:
Very nice people. We were almost alone in this Hotel. The traditional room was nice, however when opening the curtains the view was really ugly. The food served in the room was ok, but not more then that. We had better traditional Japanese food before.
Price was very expensive, with no reason. No shuttle service to the train station. It was rainning, and we walked back.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank mimio768
Reviewed March 21, 2015

The #1 thing I wanted to experience during my trip to Japan was an onsen. Since my husband has tattoos, and since I wanted to share the onsen experience with him, the first thing I booked for our trip was one night in an onsen town with a private open-air bath at Furuya Ryokan. I was really looking forward to this night and didn't mind paying quite a bit for this room. Upon arriving, I was horribly disappointed to learn that we did not get a room with a private open-air bath, despite the fact that that is exactly what I booked, and had the emailed confirmation from the hotel specifically stating "This is a plan with Open-air Bath use." When I showed the front desk my confirmation, I basically was told so sorry, according to my records you do not have a room with an open-air bath. When I asked to be switched to one, I was told so sorry, they are all booked. Needless to say, I was extremely upset (especially when we had just checked out of a much nicer Ryokan in a much nicer city - Kyoto - that was more reasonably priced) for having bothered to make the trek to Atami at all. The rest of my review is no doubt poisoned by this experience.

The public onsen was fine. Though when we tried to go in the morning, we were told it was closed. Would have been nice to know the hours ahead of time - because of this, my husband didn't get to experience an onsen at all, which was the whole point of going to Atami in the first place.

The room itself was fine...not completely well maintained though. There were scratches and dings on the walls and water stains on some parts of the tatami mats. The view was of a dingy city.

We had the plan that included dinner and breakfast. While plentiful and beautifully presented, the food itself was hit and miss. I am an adventurous eater, and expected to be eating weird things in Japan...but the meals we were presented pushed me over the limit. A lot of it I can only describe as gelatinous cubes.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how this ryokan gets away with charging such high prices...I have stayed in much nicer hotels in much nicer cities for a lot less. Save your time and money and skip Furuya Ryokan.

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank Katherine N
atami_furuya, General Manager at Furuya Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2015

We apologize for putting a damper on your recent trip to Japan due to your experiences at Furuya Ryokan. We try our best to provide the best possible services to our guests. We also try to listen. The language barrier can cause misunderstandings and we hope to raise the level of our English support to make sure we are better prepared to handle future situations properly and in a timely fashion. We found your note about public bath times to be helpful and have begun informing guests of operation hours upon check-in. We plan to add the information to our website as well.
Our hotel and staff will continue to work hard to improve the services we offer guests. Should you decide to return, we will do our best to make sure your stay is pleasant.