See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 14, 2017

A hotel built on a cliff facing the Atami sea, great sea view from the room. Nothing much nearby or inside the hotel. A very tiny place at hotel lobby selling some Japanese snacks.

There is a link-way to it's new sister hotel, Hotel New Akao. Nothing much nearby, there is a shuttle bus which operated at certain timing to bring you down the "hill" but you need to make you own way back to the hotel. You may also walk back to the hotel (about 30 mins walk). There are some shops and restaurants down the hills.

Rooms are considered big, clean, can't complain much. The TV channels can be improved, there is only 1 CNN channel that can be watched. The rest are very bad TV reception.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2017

The hotel is built on a cliff and and has a fantastic garden with a panoramic view of the sea, a small shopping ... dinning area and museum. Tea & coffee are available at the lounge that has an incredible view of the sea where one can sit and relax.

Almost all rooms offer a fantastic view of the clear blue sea. The public onsen was large and spacious.... clean and hygiene . The food from the hotel was delicious too. Buffet breakfast is being served daily.

A great place to visit for all sea lovers.

TV Channels can be improved (Very few or no english channel)
operating TV remote is an challenge itself...

On the other hand Staff is very very courteous and friendly ... ready to go beyond the call of duty...

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2016

Stayed here for one night as part of an escorted tour of Japan. Although it wasn't as grand as some other of the hotels we'd stayed in, it was a clean hotel with friendly and welcoming staff. The hotel itself could maybe use a little updating, but it was comfortable. The room was a good size with firm bed and good duvet. There was a fridge and kettle in the room, with air conditioning, hairdryer, some toiletries, safe, robe and slippers. There were self-laundry facilities and ice facilities on the 4th floor.
Bathroom needs a little updating, the shower/ wet room and toilet, and basin areas were all separated and because of all the different areas, I ended up leaving some very expensive toiletries in the bathroom by mistake.
We had a set dinner in the hotel with sashimi, rice with shrimp, noodles, fried tofu in broth, fried fish, fried eel and chicken, dim sum dumpling, citrus jelly, tea, soup, and beef with mushrooms and beansprouts. Very limited range of drinks available.
The rooms had Pacific views, which were nice.
I didn't try the swimming pool but I did brave the thermal baths at 5am, where you have to wash beforehand and enter naked. There were a few other Japanese ladies there, but none of the other westerners were brave enough. Good experience.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2016 via mobile

me and my family went here valentine day at the same time celebrated my bday.just for a night payed ¥130000 for two rooms not included wine and other coctails.french dinner and buffet during breakfast.rose bath or bara onsen is included but we came 5pm and totally tired so we werent able to enter in the bara onsen available 3pm-9pm coz dinner also has a reserved time.nice view from our room.we were relaxed.we talked to other lovely staffs and they also said it was onced a museum.cool!some decors and arts were remain.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
ホテルニューアカオ, お客様担当マネージャー at Royal Wing, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2016

Thank you for staying with us and we truly appreciate your warm comments about your experience at Newakao.
Your comment was very rewarding, I will make sure to share your feedback with all the members of my team.

Let us recommend you the beautiful fireworks from April as the Spring feature of Atami for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2014 via mobile

I just visited Royal Wing for a night's stay with my mother for a quick girly getaway. The hotel is a bit shabby round the edges (satined sofas, torn carpet, random disused fridge in the middle of one of the corridors), despite being the 'new' wing of the main hotel next door. Don't come here to be wowed by glam decor or furniture. However, the view was beautiful and the food which was included in our tariff was really fresh, varied and tasty. We especially enjoyed being able to book the private onsen session and the ladies-only rose bath was so lovely. The clientele definitely centered around elderly retired ladies (I was the youngest person, even in my 30s!) and everyone is Japanese so not sure how they'd manage with proper 'gaijin' (I'm half Japanese and speak the language but you could tell the staff were initially filled with dread when seeing my white face). It's ok for a cheap deal / quick jaunt away from Tokyo.

Date of stay: October 2014