All reviews taxi ride japanese culture open air villa dishes yen ryokan station
Selected filters
Reviewed May 27, 2018

Atami Sekitei is a very typical but unique hotel (or rather, ryokan) in Atami. I'd never stayed at a hotel like this in my life before. Everything here is distinctively Japanese: the wooden guest rooms are scattered in a big Japanese-style garden with trees, flowers, ponds, gold fish and bridges! And the open-air bathplace is also there! If you want to experience the Japanese culture in its most authentic form, this is the right place!

Like traditional Japanese inns, they serve "omakase" (the chef decides what you eat) breakfast and dinner at a restaurant called "Uzu" within the garden, in a totally Japanese way. Every guest is assigned a separate waitress who serves you dishes and explains what the dishes are.

The staff here are really friendly and welcoming. I do enjoy their service!

I would highly recommend this ryokan to anyone interested in traditional Japanese culture and an open-air hot bath in the Japanese mountains.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 19, 2018 via mobile

I have been so lucky to be a guest at Sekitei Atami four times now over the last decade and this is such a beautiful, gracious traditional inn you could ever stay at. The gardens are gorgeous and unique to the Japanese aesthetic. Our meals are just the most delectable seasonal dishes and presented so beautifully, so much care and detail into everything they do. The staff are friendly and made our stay so comfortable every time. Of all places that I have visited in Japan, this is the ryokan I want to go back to each and every time.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank SeattleGinger
Reviewed January 22, 2018

The exterior of the ryokan may look unassuming but once you step inside the compound, it is a whole new world. The taxi ride from Atami station costs about 1100 yen and it is roughly 10-15 minute away.

Date of stay: January 2018
Reviewed October 9, 2017 via mobile

We have been traveling to Japan for over 25 years now and just loved this tranquil property set on 2 acres with beautiful ponds, bridges and traditional villas.
We totally de-stressed here and enjoyed the amazing onsen and fantastic kaiseki cuisine .
If you're looking for an authentic Japanese experience ....this is the place for you.
We felt like we stepped back in time , living in our Shoji screen , tatami mat home away from home ...running around in our yukatas.
They also have a dark cosy, bar - karaoke lounge with great acoustics .
Hiroshi the bar tender helped us navigate the english song selection with ease.
A special "Thank You" to Shizuka, Iyako and Naomi ...for such excellent service, we really enjoyed our time at Atami Sekitei & our conversations with you.
Your Australian friends
Sisters Justine & Jacquie

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2017 via mobile

I came to this ryokan with my family 12 years ago, it was one of the most amazing memories I made my first time in Japan. When I went around the beginning of the spring season, it was a great opportunity to enjoy the tranquility and peace of a place different from Tokyo (which I also loved). Sekitei is one of those places that I feel is special to me just because of how unique and beautiful it is. The staff is beyond professional and courteous, they work very hard into making you feel at home and as comfortable as possible. The dinner was fantastic and the hot spring bath (onsen) is something you simply MUST do there. It is relaxing, refreshing and a one of a kind experience you'll never find anywhere else. I cannot recommend this place enough and I thoroughly intend to come back here in my next, hopefully soon, trip to Japan.

Date of stay: April 2017