“Small places sometimes make the biggest surpises”
Review of South 30 Diner

South 30 Diner
Ranked #12 of 81 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: American
Description: Phone number 518-842-9922
Description: Phone number 518-842-9922
Reviewed July 31, 2016 via mobile

It is casual. Different coffee mugs like they're coming out of the back of the cabinet as though you have too many relatives over for the holidays. The service is casual in their delivery like you are sitting at their kitchen table.

The food... seriously down home cooking. There is no fluff, no trying to appease the travelers driving on the through way from the city, just good country cooking. I had the biscuits and gravy and although not a southern thick gravy like I remember from growing up in the south, it held its own and filled me up before a long day in Cooperstown for Hall of Fame weekend. My friend let me try their ham and WOW it was Sooooooooo good.

The stuffed french toasts are seriously the winners at this restaurant. I loved my biscuits and gravy but know what I will be having if I return, hands down. I snuck small bites of my friends peanut butter and fluff stuffed french toast when he wasn't looking.

The main server (I refer to her now as "Mama") was humming and singing and almost dancing around the fully packed room. It was almost like if Disney were to create a character who was a sassy, seasoned, diner owner with a big heart, I'm pretty sure they would use her as inspiration.

Thanks for the wonderful meal, welcome, and warm wishes as we left. I will definitely be back.

Reviewed July 18, 2016 via mobile

The best down home fresh made sausage I have ever tasted. Country home atmosphere where the owner makes you feel invited. Stuffed french toast was delightful. We will be back whenever we travel this way again.

Reviewed May 18, 2016

My husband and I had lunch. I asked to substitute the French fries for macaroni salad--she brought me the French fries. I was good but nothing special.

Reviewed May 1, 2016

Ceramic mugs all around but we were served coffee in Styrofoam cups. Eggs were runny, veggie omelette made with brown wilted spinach, very greasy. Both were sick after trying breakfast. Will NOT recommend. Seeing advertising signs brings back bad memories. Never returning.

Reviewed April 15, 2016

The South 30 Diner is a smaller old fashion diner where they cook the food in front of you. They have tables which you could sit at or the counter with stools. Don't let the looks fool you. If the parking lot is full , there is still room inside. They have a lot of specials which you can choose from. It is a dress as you are diner with no one judging
you. Staff is very Friendly By the looks of it almost every Saturday morning, the same family and friends are there for their weekly conversation meal. They do breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have been doing weekend breakfast for a long time at the Diner and am pleased.