“Spring Snowshoeing”

NORTHSTAR Alpine Lodge
Ranked #4 of 64 B&Bs / Inns in Matsumoto
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is my first time going outdoor with snow. The guidance has well explain of geographical information around Norikura Mountain.
Surprisingly during the hike have chance seeing Raicho,a rare species in Japanese wildlife.

Staying in Japanese style room is comfortable and the room is comfy since I can hear the stream flow on morning. It was enjoyable looking the streamside from balcony.
The accommodation give a feel like home, if not rushing on my trip schedule, I would like to spend more time for the outdoor activities in Northstar.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We brought 50 English-speaking middle school and high school students to NorthStar in March for a two-day camp of downhill skiing, cross country skiing, snow boarding, and snowshoeing. Our overall experience was great. The communication and planning leading up to the camp was thorough. The assistance and instruction during the camp was personal and enthusiastic and "homey". All skil levels were accommodated for. The food was superb, especially the hamburgers. The outdoor scenery was spectacular. We were very well taken care of. Thank you, Dan, and the NorthStar staff. See you again next March.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We decided to get our last ski trip in for the season and decided to stay at Northstar. My wife, 18 month old son, myself, and another couple and their 2 year old daughter stayed for the weekend. We stayed in a family style traditional Japanese room. The room was very comfortable in size as well as expected accommodations. The room had one large living/sleeping area that was your living area by day and at night was your sleeping area. There was also a nice little sitting area that overlooked a stream.
The breakfast and dinner meals provided were fantastic! The meals were "family style," in that, everyone sat a large tables and had a chance to talk and enjoy the food. The food was delicious and we never left the table hungry.
The staff could not have been nicer! Everyone was very friendly, not only to use, to the two little ones as well. The staff was very knowledgeable about the local area and the mountain. My wife took a snowboarding lesson and said the instructor was very knowledgeable, helpful, and nice. She walked away from the 2 hour lesson a better snowboarder and very happy with the experience.
We will definitely be returning to Northstar before we leave Japan!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We have been going to Northstar every year for the past 4 years on snowboarding trips. We’ve had an enjoyable experience each and every time. The owner and staff at Northstar provide outstanding customer service; always friendly and accommodating. They make you feel so welcome which always makes for a very enjoyable stay. The lodge is very clean and well designed. Rooms are spacious and warm. Our favorite place is the lounge on the first floor; a great place to hang out and relax after a day on the slopes. The breakfasts and dinners are always tasty and satisfying. The snowboard instructors are excellent and use special Burton training boards. I would highly recommend Northstar!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We've used Northstar for our winter retreat with our High School Students (80+ kids in one go) and have found them to be excellent; fun, safe, learning. I certainly can recommend them highly.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I've had a chance to have both snowboarding and mountain biking lessons at Northstar. I was a beginner and knew nothing about either, but Northstar's friendly and competent staff made for a great time. Once you have the lessons, you'll want to come back for more. The hospitality at Northstar is outstanding! I recently took a group here for a mini-retreat and we felt welcomed and like we could relax. You never feel like you are inconveniencing the staff, you feel like they enjoying helping you. They always help you with whatever you need and they do it with a smile! All the times that I've stayed here the facilities have been clean and comfortable. The food is always delicious! I would recommend Northstar to anyone looking for a fun mountain adventure.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stay Northstar in the bike season, especially during the Norikura hillclimb event. There are lots of other accomodations but I have never stayed at others.
Some of the facility (bath, toilet) is not private and sometimes single or couple guests is required to share the room. But the great hospitality of the staffs helps you feel comfortable. That's why I choose Northstar every year I visit Norikura.
And Japanese visitors would feel like they visit some foreign country. I love the atomosphere.
Plus, the meal is so nice and if you like public style Onsen, there is a good public Onsen within 3minutes walking!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo