“Nice for a walk, but expensive”
Review of Nakamachi Street

Nakamachi Street
Ranked #5 of 112 things to do in Matsumoto
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Nice for a walk, but expensive”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Nakamachi Street has some beautiful shops with some one-of-a-kind gifts, but a bit out of my price range (in general). It's great if you're looking for handmade toys, handspun pottery, or an assortment of other unique items, with a slightly less restrained budget. Even for those of us who don't plan on buying, it was a nice walk and good for browsing.

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Auckland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Slightly more pricey than I was looking for but a lovely visit.”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I can't recommend a trip to Matsumoto highly enough. It was very enjoyable. We traveled here from Hakuba which looked a little daunting from the train schedule but in the end was very easy, just long. The wonderful people at the train station handed us a pre-printed schedule showing all the trains from Hakuba to Matsumoto and return in English. This included when we had to change trains as well as which platform the train came in on and which the one we wanted to change to left from. So wonderfully organised.

Make sure you head straight to the Tourist info office at the train station and get the Matsumoto Walking Guide. It is the best handout I've ever seen from a tourist office. It shows you what the specialties of the town are and what the kanji is you are looking for as well as outlining the tourist attractions. The free map is also great. I was well impressed with this office.

This street had galleries and restaurants along it but they were quite pricey so not quite the shopping experience I was looking for but still a lovely stroll. All the shop keepers were very welcoming. Nawate street was more picturesque and the price point I was looking for but as it is only one block over from Nakamachi street, the two combine wonderfully for a stroll after lunch.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Kiwi_Boop
Cairns, Australia
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Not much to see”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Not sure if this street was so empty for winter but it was 11.00 and not much was open. There were a few shops selling hot crackers and not much else. We walked along it as it was convenient when going to the castle but can't say I'd make a special trip for it.

Visited December 2012
Adrian, Michigan
565 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 835 helpful votes
“Pleasant place to stroll”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I was generally very taken and favorably impressed with Matsumoto. My husband and I are very big fans of Japan. He has been there dozens of times over the past several years and this was my third trip. But this was the first time I saw anything outside of the general Tokyo area. So Matsumoto was striking because it showed a diffrent side of Japan than I had ever seen. It is quite the contrast to the big city, as nice as the latter can be. This traditional shopping street in Matsumoto was very pleasant and it was fun to poke around. It will not take long to walk up and down as it is smaller than most of the shopping streets in other parts of Japan. But it was quaint and it was convenient since it was on our way walking to the castle. My husband actually ended up at a nice little coffee shop which freed me to shop a little more intently.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Debbie K
Japan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Unique.”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

It's a unique place of old Nagano style houses. They should kick all traffic out of it. Not so much to shop or eat there but lovely to walk around.

Visited March 2012