See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 19, 2017

The stay in a Ryokan is a great oriental experience. It is a total immersion in the traditional Japanese culture with tasty food and very nice staff. Try the onsen, it will surprise you. Absolutely recommendable!

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank zenski38
Reviewed January 9, 2017

we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hoshi.
yes there's a few bits of carpet that need replacing here and there and some paint touch ups but we had such a great experience, received such great service, enjoyed the hot spring baths and our delightful room so much, the little imperfections were easy to forget.
we stayed in a lovely traditional room right on the garden, it was spacious and very pretty.
we received gracious service and excellent food each night and each breakfast in our private dinning room (i'm not a big fan of traditional japanese breakfast but my wife is, so i just went with the flow).
we had several private baths and eventually took the plunge and went to the communal baths as well, we especially liked the outdoor baths in the cold weather.
the atmosphere, the surroundings and decor were all delightful, we felt truly immersed in old world Japan.
day trips to local towns and temples provided us with a nice glimpse into rural life and scenery.
thoroughly recommended for the japanophile, not recommended for those who seek western amenities and familiar accommodations.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2016

We had seen the mini-documentary on this place on Vimeo and were very curious to check it out. We stayed in a traditional room (apparently there are also "Modern" ones in a separate 7 story building next to the older complex - we never went there though). We slept on tatami mats on the floor, which is more comfortable than expected but - alas - not as comfortable as a western bed.

As others have remarked, some parts appear dated and could use some repairs, including the Koh stage, which had a sad, depressing aura to it. Maybe this looks better in the summer? If you are inside the baths or the rooms, it is not really bothersome though.

The main challenges are the food and generally communication. There are no menus or explanations in English (or indeed in latin characters), and most staff speaks no English. They do however all have smartphones with translation apps, and are eager to help.

Nevertheless, it was a great experience and I would not hesitate to recommend it for a brief stay.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2016 via mobile

Reading the reviews, it seemed hit or miss but I wanted to visit this old establishment. Yes, it's old...I mean, 1300 years old. It's been expanded and is huge. Does it need some fixing up? Yes, but I've been to plenty of regular hotels that have way more wear and tear and only decades old, not centuries.

Anyway, the people working here were very nice and accommodating!!! There's very little English but they try their best. The owner or staff come out to greet any guests coming in. Upon check in, I was taken to room with a view of the gardens for the traditional tea service...not a ceremony.

I was in room 103 which was lovely with a private deck over the koi pond. It also had a private bath and toilet along with a flat screen TV and refrigerator. On the table was a tea set with green tea and snacks to enjoy before your soak. After they made my bed later that evening, they refreshed my tea service and added another kind of tea.

This Ryokan has an indoor and outdoor onsen for each sex. The facilities are nice but this was my first so I can't compare.

The place is huge and walking around inside, you'll see plenty of art. The area is known for their arts and crafts. There's an arts and crafts village about 20 minutes walking distance. Outside the garden is serene and a pleasure to wander around in.

Additional info:
I didn't eat at the ryokan but there is an izakaya around the left of the ryokan (good luck as there's no English and no pictures) and a sushi place down the street to the right. There's also a grocery store and a couple convenience stores also to the right.

They have a shuttle to/from the Awazu station. Contact them for available times as you need to reserve this. I came in too early so I took a taxi which was 1480 yen.

They'll also shuttle you to the craft village nearby.

Stayed: May 2016, traveled solo
4  Thank GoPlaces318715
Reviewed May 22, 2016 via mobile

Stayed at room 812 which is the largest and grandest room in the property.

Personal attendant was very kind and professional but everything is mediocre at best.

Food quality and presentation was nothing special and facility needs serious updates. Garden looked very tired and building need serious updates. Wifi only works in lobby and public bath area.

It's very hard to say but I would not recommend this place.

Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple